Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[MMO] The Legend of Mazzeroth

Started by leeor_net Mar 2, 2008 at 3:31 PM 52 replies 15.6k views
Original Post
leeor_net
leeor_net
Team Name: New Age Software Team Project Name: The Legend of Mazzeroth Brief Description: The Legend of Mazzeroth is a 2D MMORPG project dedicated to bringing the Open Source Community a high-quality game that hundreds of users can enjoy simultaneously. It includes both an end-user Client and Server Software. Target Aim: GNU GPLv3 Open-Source Compensation: This is a free, open-source project so monetary compensation will likely not be available. Credit for your work is always a given although other forms of compensation can be arranged. Technology: New Client/Server software using the following libraries: - SDL - PhysFS - LibXML - LUA - ENet - And others. MySQL Database Engine for the Server Software. The Legend of Mazzeroth started as a fork of The Mana World. Since then we've officially classified the TMW based code as Legacy and now use it to prototype new content as much of the artwork, maps and scripts will work with little or no modification in the new software. Talents Needed: Concept Artwork GUI Programming Mapping Additional information can be found on our website: http://lom.newagesoftware.org/ Team structure: Leeor Dicker - Project Lead Programmers Leeor Dicker - Programming Lead Trevor Allen - MacOS X Build & General Programming Audio Brandon - Audio Lead Alstr0ph - Sound Track Trevaur - Sound Track Writers Tim Morita - Writing Lead MarcusWolf - Original Story and Concept Artwork Le Phan - Concept Art Jeff LaRose - Environment Concept Art Website: http://lom.newagesoftware.org - Website http://lom.newagesoftware.org/forum/ - Community & Developer Forums http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/lom/ - SourceForge Project Contacts: I prefer to be contacted via e-mail, Instant Messenger or on our website's Forums. You can leave me a message using GameDev's Forums but I can't garantee a prompt reply. E-MAIL: leeor(dot)net(at)gmail(dot)com AIM: leeornet Previous Work by Team: None - this is a new team. Additional Info: You can visit our website to get more information about the game and the development process: http://lom.newagesoftware.org Feedback: ANY; [Edited by - leeor_net on August 15, 2009 2:27:37 PM]
leeor_net
leeor_net
The Legend of Mazzeroth is still looking for other team members to help with development. Any and all of the above mentioned positions are available.

[Edited by - leeor_net on May 20, 2008 6:57:39 PM]
leeor_net
leeor_net
I hate bumping a thread without having something to show, so at the very least I'll offer a quick developer's journal and quick behind-the-scenes update. :)

Programming for LoM has slowed down a little bit lately because I've been studying for my mid-terms in school. I'm actually in culinary school so go figure, right? :)

Anyway, I've been able to set up some various internal things within the code itself to support the new ressurection handling I want to implement as well as further code for two-handed weapons.

I've been jotting down notes in an effort to map out how I will be implementing Magic, Profession and Class skills. Shouldn't be too difficult to implement when the time comes.

I've also been doing a lot of documentation writing including Map Editing Wiki articles and graphical resource guides. It's all pretty technical stuff so as I work on it I'll put it in a more user-friendly non-programmer writting style so anybody can understand it... :)

I wish I had more but that's it. It's only been about a week since I last posted so hopefully it's enough to convince potential members that this project is worthwhile.

And, as always, all positions are available. I haven't had nearly the response I was hoping for so if you would like to help LoM in any way, contact me using the above mentioned avenues!

Here's looking forward to replies!
leeor_net
leeor_net
We've just released v0.0.4 of the Game Client and v0.0.3 of the Server Software (Game/Account). Both are available from the SourceForge Project Page.

We still need all above positions so all inquiries are welcome!
leeor_net
leeor_net
Just wanted to provide a status update to those following the LoM Project:

We've been doing a lot of work on the Client with some noticible changes including UI Skinning, SpeechBubbles (as opposed to non-wrapped lines of long text that could run off the screen), further world development, continued code optimizations and stability changes, Guilds and Parties, unlimited map layers (used to be capped at four layers, only three were visible), a variety of visual improvements and more.

We also have planned to add in quests and complete the town of Vansale as well as all outdoor path maps between Kalder and Vansale.

Our website moved from a SourceForge hosted website to a new wiki-based website: http://legendofmazzeroth.wikidot.com. It has a lot of information about the development version of the game, current releases, story and lore information, technical documentation and so on. We tend to make changes on a daily basis so it's frequently updated with the latest new.

The biggest milestone we have for the upcoming client (v0.0.5) is that it will be released as both a Win32 and MacOS X binary package at the same time. The current version of the client (v0.0.4) is also available as a MacOS X Universal Package that was released some time after the Win32 release.



As usual, we're still looking for other developers as per our Available Positions list (http://legendofmazzeroth.wikidot.com/team-positions). Programming is helpful (particularly for a Linux or BSD porter) but we're primarily interested in new graphic, sound and musical resources. We're also looking for a dedicated mapper and concept artist to help get the world put together.

[Edited by - leeor_net on May 23, 2008 11:06:50 PM]
Arkanus
Arkanus
wow, those are pretty good screenshots, though the "Legend of Mazzeroth" title in the first image looks like it was from adventure quest :P

I would like to offer to do the music.
Details of contacting me are on my signature.

EDIT: Whoa double post?
plcphan
plcphan
Ahoy! Cool project : ) I sent an email with my sample works for the concept art position.

~ Cheers! And good luck!
>> Currently busy
allenmoatallen
allenmoatallen
plcphan, you should of received an email or message of some sort from Leeor.

Arkanus you should receive an email or message from Leeor shortly.

Thank you both for responses and I look forward to working with you both.




--The Legend of Mazzeroth---Programmer, Artist & Webmaster-
leeor_net
leeor_net
Quote:
Original post by Arkanus
wow, those are pretty good screenshots, though the "Legend of Mazzeroth" title in the first image looks like it was from adventure quest :P

I would like to offer to do the music.
Details of contacting me are on my signature.

EDIT: Whoa double post?


So it does look a bit like AQ's text... go figure. That wasn't intended! :)
allenmoatallen
allenmoatallen
Just posting an update on development progress!

We now have a concept artist onboard, but of course others are welcome! We have also gotten interest from two composers, another programmer, and a sound fx/ voice team. Our team is expanding and creating an exciting time for the LoM Project.

A new feature has been implemented! When you move your mouse over items within your inventory a small window on the right side of the screen will appear showing information about the item the mouse is over.

I will post with more within the next week.
--The Legend of Mazzeroth---Programmer, Artist & Webmaster-
UberInuka
UberInuka
Mazzeroth? Azeroth! just thought i would point that out
leeor_net
leeor_net
Yes, I've gotten that a number of times. I would like to point out that Mazzeroth is the name of a monolithic black dragon that is the ultimate villain in the game and not the name of the world itself. Thus, while the names rhyme, they are not based on eachother especially since I came up with the name back in 1997 before I was ever interested in the Warcraft series of games (and of course, World of Warcraft).
allenmoatallen
allenmoatallen
I hate bumping this thread myself, but I wanted to say we are in great need of content developers! More specifically 2D / Pixel Artists and Mappers! If anyone is at all interested please leave a comment! Development is beginning to speed up and we are working towards our v0.0.5 public release with many changes/improvements.
--The Legend of Mazzeroth---Programmer, Artist & Webmaster-
elijahtheworm
elijahtheworm
I'm okay at 2D pixel art...
I can do small things with not too much detail...

I'm also interested in writing...
If you need a story writer...
Character descriptions...
Monster/enemy descriptions...

I can help out with either of those...
Though I am more skilled in the latter...
protools1983
protools1983
Hey GameDev.neters!

The Legend of Mazzeroth team has alot going on right now. They have picked me up for their sound design needs and have been working hard on the release of V0.0.5. We are still in need of 2D pixel artists and anyone willing to help on this amazing project.

The LOM team consists of a very dedicated and professional group of people who are very open to new ideas. We urge you to visit our forums and post your thoughts here: http://legendofmazzeroth.wikidot.com/forum:start

This project is getting bigger and gaining more attention each day. I am proud to be part of this team and thank you for for showing your support!
leeor_net
leeor_net
Here's a progress update for those following the Legend of Mazzeroth project:

We've been hard at work preparing for the new v0.0.5 release. We've made a signifigant number of changes to the game (all outlined on our website). Every day the game continues to improve with additional content and new team members contributing their work, time and effort.

We are now in the need for a Pixel Artist and a Tileset Artist. We've pretty much run out of tileset content and need the tiles for the new town of Atesia. We've also approached a time where we need to get rid of the current monsters and start filling them in with our own mobs. These tasks are also outlined on our website.

Thank you everybody for your interest!
BunnyKinx
BunnyKinx
hey. Does INQ know you are using his tilesets.

I know that he does not allow them to go to projects without asking him and also NEVER if they are making money?
BK - TLE FounderXcuMasoft@Hotmail.co.uk
prolixity
prolixity
bunny instead of flaming his topic why not just pm him
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
Quote:
bunny instead of flaming his topic why not just pm him


I don't view this as flaming, especially if the OP is using someone else's tile sets without permission. Not only is this severely frowned upon, I believe it is something the general forum should be made aware if this is indeed what is going on here. Plus bunny has only made one post on this thread, which raises a valid concern- so this is not flaming.

Thanks,

Nathan
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
allenmoatallen
allenmoatallen
As far as I am aware, we have been given permission to use them. In no way would we use any assets without permission from their authors first. Thank you for bringing that up. As our post says this game will not be for commercial purposes but purely open-source and a great free MMO that anyone can enjoy. That is our goal.
--The Legend of Mazzeroth---Programmer, Artist & Webmaster-

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.