Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Orion 37 (Pixel Shmup)

Started by Aken H Bosch Apr 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM 6 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
Aken H Bosch
Aken H Bosch
Background: At first, I wanted to make a shoot-em-up (which is what I did). I wanted to make something like Raptor: Call of the Shadows, but I decided, since I don't have an artist, I would make something simpler. I decided I would make a game with pixel art, but large enough that you could see it fullscreen. My choice for the game to base it off of was Phoenix for the TI-83 Plus calculator (thus the green hue (somewhat exaggerated) of the tiles in my game). How to Play: Press ENTER to pause or unpause. Press F2 to restart (does not automatically pause or unpause) Move the ship with the arrow keys. Fire with CTRL (only left works so far). Select weapons with 1-5 on the top of the keyboard. Press 0 to toggle between the calculator-screen and water background styles. Future Stuff: Also, there will be more kinds of enemies, and possibly a helper ship. I do not think I will be adding more weapons, but that is subject to change. Enjoy! Programmer and Artist: Andrew Lubitz (me) Programmer of Phoenix for the TI-83 Plus: Patrick Davidson The most recent version [Edited by - Aken H Bosch on April 10, 2008 3:59:33 PM]
Signature go here.
nentwined
nentwined
Pretty cool! I love the water effect. I started wondering if it was possible to die, but I eventually did. I also love games that let me buy upgrades. Need to remember to work that into something myself in the future. Really could use an intro screen, high score, installer, sounds, yadda yadda, but you know that. ;)
kaolin fire- http://www.erif.org/- http://www.gudmagazine.com/
Rainweaver
Rainweaver
The LCD feeling in the first screenie is very nice.
I'm also very interested in the water effect. Are you planning to release the source code?

Aken H Bosch
Aken H Bosch
The water is entirely software.

I simply have a grid of 200x133 (the size of the 'screen') objects, each of which has a 3-component position and velocity.

They are connected to each of the four neighbors (or less, for edges/corners) by a force in the direction of the neighbor. Edge cells are locked in place, and occupied cells are assigned a z-value. A special better-rounded set of z-values is used to make the explosion shockwaves.

I did a lot of fooling around trying to fix a bug where if two pixels passed each other, the normal would flip, causing an ugly dark yellow blob, but eventually decided that it was good enough to not have moving objects push the water under them in the direction they are moving (which was responsible for the sort of movement that messed stuff up).

The pixels' normals are used to determine the color, but their actual positions (used to compute these normals) are ignored.
Signature go here.
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Fun little game. Added it to my growing collection of low-res, high-fun games out of GDNet, alongside Gun Girl and Planet Umi.
Aken H Bosch
Aken H Bosch
Yes, you are supposed to be able to survive up to ~25 hits. Your remaining health is indicated by the bar to the right of the screen. After each mission, you can also buy additional health and weaponry.
Signature go here.
bitskull
bitskull
Nice game!
Weapons 3+ are too powerful and windowed mode would be nice.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.