Original Post
Hello, While browsing through the D3D10 docs to find help for our latest D3D convert, I came across this interesting bit of information:
Quote:This would really come in handy in a project of mine, where I need to batch a big pile of linestrips that I'm currently rendering with seperate draw calls. I can't seem to find anything on MSDN about such an option for D3D9/XNA, but I was wondering if anyone happens to know a similar trick for those platforms. Up until now I was planning to just convert the strips to linelists so I can batch them all in one vertex/indexbuffer pair, but a trick like this would save me some work and might be more efficient. I recall reading some information that indexed lists can be more efficient than strips because of vertex caching, but since I'm dealing with lines instead of triangles I suspect this isn't the case here. So,
An index buffer can index multiple line or triangle strips by separating each with a strip-cut index. Use the maximum possible value for the index (0xffff for a 16-bit index, 0xffffffff for a 32-bit index).
(From these MSDN docs)
- Is there a (vendor specific) trick similar to this one available in D3D9?
- Are there any other options to batch strips I'm missing?
- Should I use linestrips in the first place, or would I be better off with lists anyway?