Original Post
I'm just getting started putting PhysX into my framework, but I've already encountered something strange: gravity doesn't seem to be affected by density. I'll outline what I've noticed, so feel free to stop me at any point where I'm wrong. Say I have a box with dimensions 1x1x1 and a density of 10. For the ease of unit conversion, I'm going to say it's 1m^3 and 10Kg. I've set gravity at -9.8m/s^2. If I run this simulation, it seems to work well and give results that are visually correct. Using the same scene, if I add a constant force of 9.8kg*m/s^2 to the box (same force as gravity, opposite direction) the box flies up into the sky! Shouldn't it stay in a static position, since gravity should be balancing out the vertical force? Now if I change the previous scenario of equal forces so that the box's density is 1000, it falls to the earth as if there was no upward force at all. If I change the box's density back to 10 and change the upward force to 0.98m/s^2, it still falls to earth, but much slower than without the force. What am I missing here?