Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

wiki suggestion?

Started by khawk Jun 29, 2008 at 9:14 AM 6 replies 2.3k views
Original Post
khawk
Any suggestions for wiki software that runs on XP/Vista (IIS 5/6), is fairly easy to setup, and is open source and/or free? Content management systems that provide wikis are an option as well. No Linux options here, so please don't go that route.
Admin for GameDev.net.
jfclavette
jfclavette
The obvious answer is MediaWiki, which is very good. It does run on IIS provided you're willing to install PHP support. If you're not willing to do that, I'm not sure about what the best ASP.Net solutions are.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
superpig
superpig
ScrewTurn?
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
3dmodelerguy
3dmodelerguy
one thing about mediawiki is that is is very good but if you have any plans to need to modifier the core underlying code then that might no be the best option as i here their code code is very ugly but if not then go with mediawiki.
SiCrane
SiCrane
It depends on how large scale you want this wiki to run on. For a small audience or a personal wiki I'd recommend dokuwiki. For a larger audience I'd go for MediaWiki. Setting up either is fairly painless, but IMO, dokuwiki is easier to customize, but doesn't scale well.
khawk
Thanks for the suggestions. This is for an internal LAN with maybe 30-40 users so I don't need anything extensive.

I had found quite a bit on my own, but I wanted to ask for suggestions in case I was missing something in the far corner of the net. Right now I'm looking at ScrewTurn and Deki Wiki (with the VMWare server installation).
Admin for GameDev.net.
Iftah
Iftah
I've installed Deki Wiki (on WinXp with XAMPP, without VMWare) and I am very happy with it!

The WYSIWYG interface is superb, much better than the Media Wiki's weird syntax alternative.

PS. I would recommend switching Gamedev Wiki to Deki Wiki (or other wiki with a WYSIWYG editor) because it makes contributing content so much friendlier and easier.

[Edited by - Iftah on June 30, 2008 8:14:59 AM]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.