Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GDNet at the Movies: The Dark Knight

Started by Oluseyi Jul 20, 2008 at 12:23 AM 116 replies 22.7k views
Original Post
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Batman, created in 1939, has been with us for so long that we feel we know not only the character, but the gallery of villains that surround him. Ardent comic book fans have seen diverse interpretations of iconic rogues like the Joker, the Riddler, the Penguin, Catwoman and Two-Face. The larger public has come to know them through the Adam West tv series and movie, the Tim Burton films (including an amazing performance by Jack Nicholson), and the disastrously campy Joel Schumacher excretions. Spider-man is an enduring pop icon, but the casual fan can't name an opponent that didn't appear in the Sam Raimi movies - nobody knows the Sinister Seven, and most people had never heard of the Green Goblin or Venom before they were played by Willem Dafoe and Topher Grace, respectively. Superman is virtually synonymous, in some perspectives, with pro-Americanism, yet your average American can't name a foe besides Lex Luthor. Everyone can name at least four Batman villains. We feel we know them, know what they're about, understand their origins and pathos and motivations. We don't know the Joker. Not this Joker. The single most exciting thing about the Chris Nolan-helmed Batman series is its reverence without slavishness, its staying true to the essence of the characters and the story while reexamining and reinterpreting them for a contemporary audience, trimming the fat and strengthening the frail. Despite the epic resonance of the Bat-man, his story has collected its ridiculous tchotckes over the years - the implausibility of a jet-setting playboy acting as guardian to a young boy and raising no eyebrows (satirized in the SNL short series, The Ambiguously Gay Duo) being the most notable, but the clearly "comicbook-y" origins of some of his foes is another. Nolan and writer David S. Goyer discard them, creating a lean narrative firmly within the limits of plausibility. (Barely within, but still within.) Let's dispense with the "review" portion of this essay, expeditiously: The Dark Knight is awesome. I had sky-high expectations and was still blown away. There is absolutely no question that you should go see it, even if you're not at all a fan of comic books or superheroes. This is my best film of the summer (all genres) so far, the best superhero movie ever (duh) and an instant classic. See it. Everything that follows presumes that you have seen the film and discusses plot elements quite liberally. If you're a "no spoilers" person, stop reading now. Who is the Joker? Contrary to what you may think, there is no definitive comic book history, and often no given name, with the only constant being that he was disfigured by falling into a vat of chemicals. In fact, the comic book Joker has been portrayed as lying about his own history so much that he is confused as to what actually happens. The Dark Knight strips away the superflous chemical vat and disfigurement, instead leaving a man - batshit insane - with scars on his cheeks, face paint and dyed hair. The matted, disheveled appearance of the Joker, especially as the paint runs and smears, is far more frightening than any pale white ghostly apparition with ruby red lips. Who the Joker was is irrelevant. How he came to be the Joker is irrelevant. He is, an enigma and force of nature, a polarizing entity, an unpredictable and violent storm. And Heath Ledger plays him to perfection. Of the live action Jokers, Ceasar Romero's is a caricature while Jack Nicholson's is a parody. Heath Ledger's, however, is a menace. No gimmicks, no lapel flowers squirting water or acid, no laughing gas or "Joker Serum" - his pockets contain only "knives and lint." Stripped of all applique characterization, Heath Ledger produces a fascinating, unnerving portrait of lucid insanity. Every little tick, every facial twitch, every pause and line repetition suggests a warped mind processing the world around him in the most bizarre yet brilliant fashion possible. This Joker is not so much insane as he is completely amoral and devoid of fear, which makes him impossible to threaten and bold enough to attempt anything. The film - nay, the franchise - revolves around this Joker. His actions reshape the entire world of both films, radically altering Gotham's trajectory and creating uncertainty heading into the future. Unlike the end of Batman Begins, or almost every other superhero movie, you leave the theater not with the excitement and elation of victory, but with a curious mix of tremendous excitement... and doubt. This is brilliant, brilliant writing, and truly taking a chance veering on arthouse with what is ostensibly a big-budget piece of popcorn entertainment. And it works. Every character is shaped, reshaped and sharpened in response to the Joker. Batman's celebrity and unofficial police cooperation are questioned, made suspect, then completely destroyed. Jim Gordon is not only promoted from Lieutenant to Commissioner, but developed from honest, smart cop into a dynamic presence forced to make hard choices and live with the consequences, from faking his own death to catch the Joker to dismantling Batman's nobility to save Harvey Dent's. Harvey Dent. Two-Face. I've spoken before on how films adapted from comic books have the advantage of creating singular, compact and consistent narratives from decades of source material. That advantage is turned into art in this case, discarding the notion of Two-Face as villain per se and instead represent him as a hero, a White Knight not so much fallen as pushed. More importantly, his legend is abbreviated in service of a greater furtherance of the story. Gotham needs the ideal of Harvey Dent perhaps more than it needs the ideal of Batman, though it needs the reality of Batman more than it needs the reality of Harvey Dent's tragic conclusion. Batman's willingness to sacrifice his reputation, to attach his image to acts he considers reprehensible in order to preserve the memory of a pure Harvey Dent and inspire hope in the people of Gotham concludes a fascinating dissertation on the essence and nature of heroism. What is a hero? Is is a big boy scout, an incorruptible individual who always does what is right and saves people not only from the consequences of the actions of others, but from themselves as well? Can a hero have flaws, make mistakes? And if a hero appears to do what's wrong in the short term, in service of a long-term good, is he still a hero? Especially if nobody knows about the long-term good? It's a fascinating discussion because we like the idea of heroes, and we lift people up - often only to be disappointed. I can't help but bring up Rudy Giuliani, who, as District Attorney (!) is credited for helping to clean up New York by prosecuting the heads of New York's Five Families, then improving the city's quality of life as Mayor. However, despite his iconic "performance" during the September 11 tragedy and Time "Person of the Year" award, he is criticized for brutal police tactics, racial insensitivity, errors of judgment on 9-11 (blocking EPA orders for WTC workers to wear respirators - and we know how that turned out) and revelations about his personal life during his presidential campaign. Is he still a hero? Even with allegations that his prosecutions were motivated by political ambition? Rachel Dawes dies, and in symmetry with Batman's cover-up for Harvey Two-Face's murder spree, Alfred burns her letter telling Bruce she would never be with him. The combination of Bruce's certainty that Harvey Dent's success would free him from needing to be the Batman and her death at the Joker's hands (having switched addresses) made him fragile; knowing that Rachel believed he would never be free of the Batman might have had a similar effect on him that her death had on Dent. After all, this is a billionaire who spends his nights scrambling over the city's rooftops and beating the criminal element to a pulp... Which brings us back to Harvey, though. Gotham's White Knight turned so dark (and so easily) because a terrorist, who was holding the city ransom and who had killed several people already, killed his girlfriend? He's that insubstantial? Blaming Gordon is a stretch - the cops behind his and Dawes' abductions may have come from MCU, but this is Gotham; recall that in Batman Begins Gordon despondently asks, "In a city this crooked, who is there to rat to?" Blaming Batman, though? Dent is the one who decided to declare himself to be Batman at the press conference, and he was elated when Gotham PD successfully used his transport to flush out and capture the Joker. This suggests a deeper psychological flaw in Dent, perhaps related to his dual-head coin and notion that he "makes his own luck." In his anguish, he seemed only too ready to let the Joker off the hook and reassign the blame to the unwitting, sometimes coerced pawns. Hmm. This is all the more fascinating because some pawns resisted Joker's push. The two ferries full of Gothamites trying to exit the city center, furnished with detonators wired to blow each other up (supposedly; the Joker could have actually wired the detonators to blow their own ships up), never pushed the button. Even the criminals experienced a humbling humanity that must have infuriated the Joker as his "social experiment" failed, yet the crusader for justice caved so easily? (Admittedly, he'd been disfigured and was in immense pain, but, still.) Ultimately, this was a film preoccupied with the edge, and whether characters chose to step over it and how far. Batman's application of Lucius Fox's cell phone sonar technology to locate the Joker is a gross violation of privacy, an inordinate amount of power to be wielded by one man - and Fox calls him on it in a scene that is also the first time Fox sees Wayne as Batman. The system is destroyed once the Joker is found - echoing the "Field Test" episode from Batman: Gotham Knight, where a bullet deflection system works too well and endangers others - and confirming Fox's faith in Wayne's character and judgment, with Batman stepping over the line but then stepping right back. Joker exists far beyond the edge. Gordon never even flirts with the edge, but never has to. Dent lives on the right side of the edge, but is pushed over and never comes back. Where does the series go next? This is no simple sequel business, where we expect more villains and perhaps a superhero team-up or a classic storyline. What Nolan and Goyer have accomplished here is to take a property with seventy years of history and create a story that is now headed in a fairly unpredictable direction. We know Batman doesn't kill, but all of Gotham views him as a killer and criminal. Will he find redemption? Will he go away for 10 years as in the Frank Miller mini-series Batman: The Dark Knight Returns? Will substitutes emerge, refining on the Batman imitators we see at the beginning - perhaps a Nightwing, skipping Robin because it's a ludicrous concept, or a Batgirl? (Implausible. Improbable, too.) Whatever direction they decide on, one thing is now absolutely certain: It's going to be a helluva ride.
Stompy9999
Stompy9999
It was just an outstanding movie. I never buy movies when they go to DVD, but I'll make an exception for this one when it comes out.

Spoilers:

Quote:
This suggests a deeper psychological flaw in Dent, perhaps related to his dual-head coin and notion that he "makes his own luck."


That's essentially what I thought about him towards the ending. It seemed like after Rachel died he realized that nothing in life is "fair" and everything is truly up to chance. Obviously that's why he flips the coin before killing people, but I also noticed that in the scene where he shoots the driver he doesn't even bother to get out of the car himself, as if he's leaving his survival up to chance too (especially considering that would give him as much chance of dying in the resulting crash as the mob guy).

Quote:
The two ferries full of Gothamites trying to exit the city center, furnished with detonators wired to blow each other up (supposedly; the Joker could have actually wired the detonators to blow their own ships up), never pushed the button.


I thought for sure one of them would have pushed the button, and it would have detonated the bombs on their own ship rather than the other.

Overall, I don't know how they're going to top this movie, but I'm glad superhero movies keep getting better and better.
EnigmaticCoder
EnigmaticCoder
Your analysis expresses my sentiment precisely. The Dark Knight hit home with me because the moral dilemmas that the characters faced were very realistic and intriguing. For the first time in a while, I was able to truly empathize with the characters. I suffered when Bruce was forced to choose between Rachel and Harvey, and I respected him for his immediate decision. And when I say it was Bruce's decision, my choice of words is deliberate. Although shrouded by his alter ego, Bruce’s human emotions came into play in that particular scene. Batman would have decided to go for Dent, for sure. After all, Dent held the key to ending corruption in the city, and his support was rare.

Actually, that scene had a second purpose (the entire movie was packed with double whammies, in fact). It reestablished Joker’s insanity, even though it was apparent that his character was already as twisted as a rusty screw. Nolan kept hammering in the theme of darkness, and each scene was filled with images of wicked corruption. All in all, the depth of the story was appealing, and I almost forgot that I was watching an action flick, even though the movie was fucking intense.
--------------------Enigmatic Coding
blueEbola
blueEbola
Great review. You pretty much nailed up my sentiments on the film.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, go now. See it while you can, and see it at least twice. I'm going for my second showing tomorrow, and I'll probably go again later in the week. This kind of calibre of a film (especially a popcorn typed flick released in the summer) is an absolute rarity, and I don't hesitate to say that it's one of the best films to be released in the past five years.

It's a work of art. I'm still thinking about it, and it's been at least 15 hours since I saw it for the first time. Nolan has crafted a masterpiece here, and the fact that every single actor involved has put out a great performance only elevates it to an entirely different level. Heath Ledger gives us a performance that is truly chilling, almost reminiscent of Alex from A Clockwork Orange, something so terrifying that it will seriously haunt you for days afterwards.

Nolan has constantly impressed me, with the grim and almost claustrophobic nature of Batman Begins, the mind bending Memento, and the thrilling Prestige, this guy knows how to make an incredible psychological thriller that digs deep into your emotions and twists them around.

I don't know what kind of direction they'd take the third Batman movie in, but I'm confident that Nolan will make it an absolutely explosive ending to this franchise. I never really take superhero movies seriously, but after I saw Begins I knew that there was possibility of making a superhero movie really hit home. TDK did it, and more.
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
Your sentiments, Oluseyi, mirror mine nearly to an absolute 'T'. Heck, I could even call you on that Nightwing bit, because I said that same thing just earlier today. :P


Other thoughts (SPOILERS) now that I've seen it a second time:

  • When Two-Face flipped a coin to decide Moroni's fate, it was heads, so he flipped again and killed Moroni's driver. I did not like this one scene, because it was ridiculous that Dent survived the resulting car crash in his condition. Sure, the Joker survived a flipped truck and there are comic book physics at work here, but he also had the advantage of being whole. (Sort of.) I just expected a little more. I'll suffice this scene away to say that since Harvey Dent couldn't put Moroni away, Two-Face then could, and so he did.

  • The trailer for next year's Watchmen was shown tonight. I am intrigued.

  • The trailer for The Spirit was also shown. It basically looks like a wet dream on film. Seriously.

  • Rachel Dawes has died. She is a casualty in Wayne's life and of Batman's war. There is a heart-broken void here, and I wonder if Selena Kyle could be brought in to tempt it.


    Both as an action movie and as a psychological thriller, this is perhaps the best film of the year.
  • Tha_HoodRat
    Tha_HoodRat
    Quote:
    Original post by Benjamin Heath
    Your sentiments, Oluseyi, mirror mine nearly to an absolute 'T'. Heck, I could even call you on that Nightwing bit, because I said that same thing just earlier today. :P


    Other thoughts (SPOILERS) now that I've seen it a second time:

  • When Two-Face flipped a coin to decide Moroni's fate, it was heads, so he flipped again and killed Moroni's driver. I did not like this one scene, because it was ridiculous that Dent survived the resulting car crash in his condition. Sure, the Joker survived a flipped truck and there are comic book physics at work here, but he also had the advantage of being whole. (Sort of.) I just expected a little more. I'll suffice this scene away to say that since Harvey Dent couldn't put Moroni away, Two-Face then could, and so he did.

  • The trailer for next year's Watchmen was shown tonight. I am intrigued.

  • The trailer for The Spirit was also shown. It basically looks like a wet dream on film. Seriously.

  • Rachel Dawes has died. She is a casualty in Wayne's life and of Batman's war. There is a heart-broken void here, and I wonder if Selena Kyle could be brought in to tempt it.


    Both as an action movie and as a psychological thriller, this is perhaps the best film of the year.


  • The coin 2 face uses has two heads one side is unotuched the other is burnt ( in the comics its scratched). Moroni got the unburnt side, the driver got the burnt side. Two face could not directly kill Moroni ( according to his code ) so he plays Russian roulette with him by killing the driver while the car was moving. He of course increases his chances of survival by putting on his seat belt before pulling the trigger again "making his own luck".
    I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
    Oluseyi
    Oluseyi
    Quote:
    Original post by Benjamin Heath
    When Two-Face flipped a coin to decide Moroni's fate, it was heads, so he flipped again and killed Moroni's driver. I did not like this one scene, because it was ridiculous that Dent survived the resulting car crash in his condition. Sure, the Joker survived a flipped truck and there are comic book physics at work here, but he also had the advantage of being whole. (Sort of.) I just expected a little more. I'll suffice this scene away to say that since Harvey Dent couldn't put Moroni away, Two-Face then could, and so he did.

    As Tha_HoodRat pointed out, Two-Face did put on a seatbelt, greatly increasing his chances of survival. Nevertheless, cartoon physics.

    Speaking of which, I finally understood something about the Batmobile. In Batman Begins, I couldn't quite grok how Batman (or, later, Jim Gordon) could bend all the way over when it went into weapons mode. How were they seated? Obviously not in any sort of car position, with their feet in front of them. The emergence of the Batpod (holy shit!) made it clear that the Batmobile's driver's feet are on movable platforms that retract when entering weapons mode, moving the driver from a "car" position into a "motorcycle" position.

    Quote:
    The trailer for next year's Watchmen was shown tonight. I am intrigued.

    This actually was a hilarious moment in my theater. There was a group of guys seated directly behind me, with one obvious "alpha" who felt like he knew a whole lot about comics. So when he saw some portion of the Watchmen trailer, he was like, "Oh, shit! Avengers! Yeah, Avengers, son!" (This was in Harlem.) And then the title appeared, and he and his friends go, "Watchmen?" Girlfriend and I chuckled over that one. [smile]

    Quote:
    The trailer for The Spirit was also shown. It basically looks like a wet dream on film. Seriously.

    Eh. It looks like Sin City 2: I Run on Rooftops. I'm going to go see it because Will Eisner's Spirit is an interesting character that I know little about, and I want to support the effort to draw some attention to it. My expectations are on par with other Frank Miller-based works, however: like Sin City and 300, self-absorbed and essentially mediocre.

    Quote:
    Rachel Dawes has died. She is a casualty in Wayne's life and of Batman's war. There is a heart-broken void here, and I wonder if Selena Kyle could be brought in to tempt it.

    Now that is a genuinely interesting thought! Another one that occurred to me was whether Nolan and Goyer would dare, in fashioning a conclusion, to either kill or unmask Batman - or both. We'll see if Warner can handle their terminating a very lucrative franchise.

    Quote:
    Both as an action movie and as a psychological thriller, this is perhaps the best film of the year.

    Absolutely agree.
    MSW
    MSW
    I thought it was a great film, one of the best in years, definetly the best superhero flick.

    However one of the things the film failed to capitolize upon, and has been often overlooked in critical analysis. Is batman going to China to capture the chinese buisness/mob guy inorder to return him to Gothom for Harvey Dent. That Dent uses this to great advantage shows him more of a oppertunist than upholding to some sort of internal moral code. In other words the coin was flipped, and the Chinese mob guy got away, better luck next time. Then when Batman delivers him back, Dent doesn't question this (kidnapping the mob dude, holding him without legal reason) and uses it to his advantage...Somewhere the Joker had to smile over this as it was part of the plan as well as sets up Dent for his fall into two-face...Also shows how far Batman is willing to go later in the film (setting up the spy center). I was kinda dissapointed in the film for just plowing through this though, but it sets the stage for what follows.



    Tha_HoodRat
    Tha_HoodRat
    Just have to say I was nerdgasmic over the watchmen trailer. THats the best graphic novel I ever rea ( closely followed by wanted , then Batman Returns).
    I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
    Tha_HoodRat
    Tha_HoodRat
    Just have to say I was nerdgasmic over the watchmen trailer. THats the best graphic novel I ever rea ( closely followed by wanted , then Batman Returns).
    I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
    Iron Chef Carnage
    Iron Chef Carnage
    Yeah, Watchmen gave me a huge boner. It looks very faithful to the comic, although there's definitely too much in that book for one feature-length film. If they adapt the writing as beautifully as they adapted the visuals, I think my head may explode.

    Also, Terminator 4 with Christian Bale? It's like someone drilled into my skull and projected my deepest dreams and desires onto the screen during the previews.
    Silvermyst
    Silvermyst
    I loved the movie, but I wanted more Batman, and I wanted him to take his gloves off. I'll have to see it again, but I think I liked Begins better.
    You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
    choffstein
    choffstein
    Great movie, but I had the same problem that I had with Batman Begins...I kept wanting Bale to stick a kitty in an ATM...

    [Edited by - visage on July 20, 2008 7:34:43 PM]
    mikeman
    mikeman
    It was a good movie. I think one of the most interesting issues was how Dent was so easily 'turned' by Joker. I think that, in some level, he secretly desired to be Batman himself and just deal with the bad guys without having to worry about laws and regularities. When he was stripped from his former identity, he finally was free to be like he always wanted. Joker just gave him a push, the job was already done; after all the main premise of the movie is that not anyone can go 'evil' under the right circumstances, even the criminals in the ferry retain their humanity with their very lives at stake.

    I still prefer the 1989 Tim Burton's movie though, mainly because if you want to deal with serious issues there are far better movies than what is, let's face it, still a superhero action film, and partly because I just liked that version of Batman better; he didn't really have any grandiose plans about 'inspiring' people or deep questions about what it means to be a hero, he was just a slightly disturbed millionaire that kept fighting bad guys without knowing himself where he was really going with this. Even though Batman Begins and Dark Knight was, from the exterior, far more realistic films, Burton's Batman seems more human to me than Nolan's.
    blueEbola
    blueEbola
    Quote:
    Original post by visage
    Great movie, but I had the same problem that I had with Batman Begins...I kept wanting Bateman to stick a kitty in an ATM...


    Lol, American Psycho is such an awesome movie.

    "We should've gone to Dorsia."
    Sirisian
    Sirisian
    I went to go see the movie on Friday but it was sold out. (Should have gotten tickets online). So I saw Hellboy 2 instead. Then I just saw Batman today which is what I really wanted to see. However, I'm kind of disappointed. Call me crazy but I enjoyed Hellboy 2 more than Batman. I kind of like a movie with less suspense. I mean I'm very jumpy at movies and batman was like a heart attack at every scene change. :P Good movie nonetheless.
    blueEbola
    blueEbola
    Quote:
    Original post by Sirisian
    I went to go see the movie on Friday but it was sold out. (Should have gotten tickets online). So I saw Hellboy 2 instead. Then I just saw Batman today which is what I really wanted to see. However, I'm kind of disappointed. Call me crazy but I enjoyed Hellboy 2 more than Batman. I kind of like a movie with less suspense. I mean I'm very jumpy at movies and batman was like a heart attack at every scene change. :P Good movie nonetheless.


    Eh, different strokes for different folks I guess.

    I thoroughly enjoy movies (hell, even TV shows, like 24) that put me on the edge of my seat, with the heart pounding and all.
    Alpha_ProgDes
    Alpha_ProgDes
    Obviously spoiler [lol]


    I don't think it was "easy" for Harvey to fall. Given the circumstances he was in how would you expect him not to fall. Girlfriend wants to marry him, then dies, face is half-completely burned off, and he's in extraordinary pain. Honestly, I'd be surprised if he didn't go to the dark side.

    I think it would have been interesting if Batman actually did kill somebody. Just so we can see how he would react to that and how far he would go.
    Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  

    Topic Locked

    This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

    Sign in to reply to this topic.