Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

C++ books for total beginner's

Started by Nigra Opulentia Aug 2, 2008 at 11:42 AM 10 replies 2k views
Original Post
Nigra Opulentia
Nigra Opulentia
Hey evrybody, I've register me to just post this question. xD I'm looking for a c++ book for total begginers in programming so, whitout anny experiece. Yeye I know what u think.. c++ is hard whitout experience but i wil take care with that ;) ! Thank you for ur time! I will be waiting for repply's! Cya! PS: Have a good day! ----------------------------------------- Nigra opulentia means dark might... Atleast thats what i am thinking... -_- -----------------------------------------
DevFred
DevFred
Quote:
Original post by Nigra Opulentia
I'm looking for a c++ book for total begginers in programming so, whitout anny experiece.

May I ask why you want to learn C++ as a first programming language?
cs_student
cs_student
Before you begin to learn any programming language it's imperative that you learn to speak proper English.

Another thing you must first learn is to search before you ask, you learn more that way. If you go to Resources->Books you will find a plethora of books on many different subjects. If you go to "Beginners" you will see many different game programming / general programming books. Look for a beginners c++ book there. They have plenty of ratings and I think reviews as well.

cs_student
noerrorsfound
noerrorsfound
Quote:
Original post by cs_student
Before you begin to learn any programming language it's imperative that you learn to speak proper English.

He's from Belgium. I think as long as he can understand English well enough, he won't have problems learning a programming language from a book written in English.
daviangel
daviangel
I always recommend the Mike Dawson book for complete newbies to C++.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
cs_student
cs_student
Quote:

He's from Belgium. I think as long as he can understand English well enough, he won't have problems learning a programming language from a book written in English.


O, sorry. That would be one exception. I didn't notice that it showed his location :)

I just find it annoying when people who speak English as a primary language come on to a forum asking for help to learn when they can't even spell many three letter words correctly.

jpetrie
jpetrie
I'd recommend against C++ as a first language.

That said, Google around for "Thinking in C++" and/or "C++ A Dialog." These are good, and have the advantage of being freely available online.
Imtiaz
Imtiaz
Again, I also have to express the same sentiment that you should consider learning a different language other than C++ if you are totally new to coding. It is an industry grade language that can be tricky enough to cause major headaches for both beginners and even advanced developers at times.

Now my assumption here is that you joined gdnet because you have an interest in making games. With that said I think learning a nice object oriented language like C# with XNA would be a great start. Even visual basic .net would be just fine too for starting out. I would also recommend a language like java but since I am assuming you are interested in gamedev c# w/ xna is perhaps a better choice. But be forewarned though, you'll need to spend a lot of time just learning how to write code and writing small trivial applications before you can ever jump headfirst into writing nice graphical-based games.

From a purely pedantic point of view I'd even recommend learning a language like pascal, but if the goal is to create games might as well learn something more mainstream.

I can't really link any books or tutorials for C# because I had learned the language at a time when I was already skilled in other languages, but you certainly need books or tutorials that are aimed for the total beginner and hopefully someone will be kind enough to share that.
daviangel
daviangel
Quote:
Original post by jpetrie
I'd recommend against C++ as a first language.

That said, Google around for "Thinking in C++" and/or "C++ A Dialog." These are good, and have the advantage of being freely available online.

Yeah if you don't want to spend any money I'd actually recommend those first. If you are completely new to programming start with "C++ A Dialog." though. "Thinking in C++" is geared more towards previous programmers so be aware.


[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Code Zombie
Code Zombie
Wiley's "teach yourself c++" it even comes with a neat IDE called quincy 2002.
you could also try Jessica liberty's "teach yourself c++ in 21 days" she is really good at explaining the basics to you, but wiley's book gets you into advanced topics fast. I'am pretty sure they write these books in your language, if not I'am pretty sure there is a whole lot more written in your language that are just as good if not better.
Nigra Opulentia
Nigra Opulentia
Well I have made some stuff in visual basic 6 and have done an online tutorial (Eclipse and Java for Total Beginners) So, I know what programming is...

I'm Just looking for a book that learns it me like I am a newby because I've had problems whit other languages. I was learning them myself with examples and that wasn't smart so now i want to put me in to it from down to up. No more amaturisme for me!

I really wan't to go for it thats why I've tried visual basic and java already.

Cya!
DevFred
DevFred
Quote:
Original post by Nigra Opulentia
I am a newby because I've had problems whit other languages.

Then you should stay away from C++ as far as possible. C++ isn't newby-friendly at all.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.