Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Does soemthing like this exist???

Started by rosshildick Sep 30, 2008 at 6:42 AM 15 replies 2.9k views
Original Post
rosshildick
rosshildick
Im a 3D object and world designer for games (or at least am aspiring to be anyway...) I just wiondered - Is there an engine that would allow me to import all of my objects and, say, a character (be it a ball, a character or a floating camera - whatever) and "play" it? I dont know any code, although i doubt there is any needed for this instance of what I want? I literally just wanna get all my objects and import them into a "level" and walk around as either a camera or a character (Whether the "character" is a model of mine, or not) - Sorry, im finding it hard to describe what I mean so if you have any questions about it, ask :) thnx in advance :)
rosshildick
rosshildick
I justthought of a better way to word that, lol

I need a level design engine where I can use objects ive made in 3DSMax9 and then have controls of some sort to do a fly-by view of it or better yet, a character that can walk around it.
SiCrane
SiCrane
You could do this in pretty much any game that comes with a level editor nowadays. Ex: in Unreal Tournament you could import your model as a static mesh and place it into a level.
rosshildick
rosshildick
Ah, Thanks i'll try that then. But could I make an entire level that way? and would I be restricted to the rules or whatever game engine came with the editor? Are there any out there anyone could reccomend? and is there a software package dedicated to original level editing??? I cant really find one on the net although I doubt im looking in the right places :S Someone help me out?
Daaark
Daaark
Be more specific with what you are actually looking to do. Do you want to make a game, or just levels? You might like DXStudio, as you can import models and do some scripting.
rosshildick
rosshildick
ok, Sorry. All I know is modeling. I dont know any code at all (Am willing to learn) and all i wanna do is make a level. and have some sort of character (the software's defult character maybe?) or ANYTGHING that i can move around my level. I dont want a level; editor where i have to choose from the objects that come with it - I want it to be all my own models and objects. Basically, I wanna know how to make my own original level for a game? (but im NOT making a game - lets get that clear, lol - just wanna test out making a level :) )
Daaark
Daaark

You don't want to make a game.
You don't want to make a level for a game.
You want to make 'a level'.

That's not really a realistic concept. A level is a chunk of a game. It has to run on a game at some level. There is nothing stopping you from using all your own models or textures in something like UnrealEd. That's how most people do it.
rosshildick
rosshildick
Forgive my ignorance here but...

so when people want to make concept levels, be them beginners of the pros, for games... they use UnrealEd? That cant be - there has to be a raw level editorial engine out the somewhere. ( I will try UnrealEd though ) thankyou :)
deathtojohnny
deathtojohnny
I get what he's saying:

He just wants an enviornment where he can interact with his models.

=============================================MEGA MAN EVOLUTIONMy first project was re-designing a dead franchise. Copy/paste the link below into your address bar for a video sample of the gameplay.http://thedelusionaldreamers.com/video/mmevid.html
Daaark
Daaark
Quote:
Original post by rosshildick
Forgive my ignorance here but...

so when people want to make concept levels, be them beginners of the pros, for games... they use UnrealEd? That cant be - there has to be a raw level editorial engine out the somewhere. ( I will try UnrealEd though ) thankyou :)
I didn't say they use UnrealEd only. My first post contained a possible solution, with DXStudio, where you could drop models around and then script some behavior.

What is a generic level? A level is a chunk of a game. The game is the foundation that the level is built on. A level is just a structure of game specific data.
EmptyVoid
EmptyVoid
Sounds like you want my game engine but I'm not done with it yet so you'll have to wait. [wink]
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
zer0wolf
zer0wolf
Level editors are inherently game specific. UnrealEd is one option, Hammer (Source engine) is another, the FarCry Sandbox Editor (I think that is what it is called) is another. A lot of time a game will use its own proprietary map format and so you need a custom editor to work with it.

On the other hand, with some other games, such as the Resident Evil games, all level editing is just performed inside the 3d packages.

Pretty well no matter what, unless you learn how to program, you're going to have to abide by the 'rules' of whatever engine you're using.
RivieraKid
RivieraKid
you can download the unreal engine 2 runtime.
here

which comes with the map editor.
qblocks_models
qblocks_models
At our studios production for level design starts out:

Concept phase 01: production with concept art, quick sketches and design layouts in Photoshop.
-
Concept phase 02: Finalizing concepts and using 3dsMax to create a Pre-Visual mock-up of the level.
Which can look something like this:

-
Prototype phase 01: By now you and your team should be happy with the level layout. Changes between concept phase 02 and prototype phase 01 are bound to happen. You need to aim for a final layout by the end of prototype 02. This phase I would start to use the in house level editor or the game production engine's editor. In my case Unreal Ed. A quick BSP version is mocked up in the editor. Sent to the team via perforce. Each designer, artist and coder is allowed to test the game for feedback. Don't just leave it to designers to give feedback, the whole team needs to be involved.
-
Prototype phase 02: Now that you've got the basics down for your map you can then go back to the Designers/Level Designers then add the game play features to the map. For this example cover nodes and destructible environment will be placed in this basic version of the map. This allows the designers and producers to play the map with its game features and discuss additions or cutbacks to increase the "fun" element in the level.
-
Production First Pass: The level is then handed to the world artist/environment artist. During this stage the artists and level/game designers will be working back and fourth off each other to keep the maps concept in order. Artists will start building "Modular" assets for the environment as well as working out a colour palette and atmosphere lighting.
When using a modular system it enables pieces of static mesh to connect to other static mesh. You can either have a randomizer. Think of it like Lego.
-
Production Second Pass: By now your artists should be well on there way to 60-70% completion of the level. The setting and concept is now handed to the lead artist. However you’re not done yet. Always keep updates of the level. My advice is to hold weekly meetings on progress of the level. We usually have 2/3 artists working on one level. Always try to have a senior in charge of each level. Our layout has a senior for each map created then 2 normal artists helping out. Also junior artists are a very good idea for making a modular library of assets or you can outsource.

Polish: Your level should be around 95% complete all there is within this phase is to add final lighting, render out all shadow maps to best quality (keep an eye on texture size). As well as maybe tweaking a few loose objects or UV texture Co ordinates. The level once passed to lead artist should pass around the team for extensive game testing then given to the coders to implement into the next build and hoping it doesn’t brake the build, because it's a nightmare when it does.

I do realize this is based on the studios I work at and I know studios do level design differently. Racing games for example probably push maps out between 7-8 weeks. FPS games may take longer but this all depends on your teams experience and your experience.

Also like to point out - Most level designers have scripting experiance (Python, LUA, Unreal Script). Scripting isn't codeing it's much more user friendly then languages like C+ and Java.

Nearly all levels have scripted events so to be an true level designer you are going to need to know scripting otherwise your basicaly an artist. Although thats my view.
Snooky
Snooky
Use Blender (http://www.blender.org) You can do 3D animations and make games.
Tangireon
Tangireon
Quote:
Snooky
Use Blender (http://www.blender.org) You can do 3D animations and make games.

I second that. It's relatively easy to use, you can make entire levels and landscapes with it, there are free models to download, you can import models for use in OpenGL, and its free to download too.
[url="http://groupgame.50.forumer.com/index.php"][/url]
Leaedas
Leaedas
Are you talking about a world dropper (editor)?

Example: http://www.leadwerks.com/3dworldstudio.htm

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.