Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

DX Nov SDK is out (with D3D11 Preview)

Started by sirob Nov 7, 2008 at 1:20 PM 6 replies 5.9k views
Original Post
sirob
sirob
The new November DX SDK is out, available here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5493f76a-6d37-478d-ba17-28b1cca4865a&DisplayLang=en. This includes a new DX11 Technical Preview. Here are the release notes (shortened): What's New in the November 2008 DirectX SDK This version of the DirectX SDK contains the following new features, tools, and documentation. PIX for Windows PIX for Windows supports basic stream capture and single frame capture for Direct3D 11, however the new Direct3D 11 hardware features like tessellation, compute shader, dynamic shader linkage, and new resource formats, are not supported. In addition, advanced features like shader debugging and mesh viewing are not supported. These will be added in a future release. XACT3 Now Supports the Same xWMA Bitrates Supported by XAudio2 XACT3 now supports the same xWMA bit rates that are supported by XAudio2. The exposed lower bit rates allow titles to take advantage of more aggressive compression. Updated Audio Sample The XAudio2 Sound3D sample has been updated to better demonstrate the capabilities of XAudio2 and X3DAudio as well as highlighting best practices. Direct3D 11 Technical Preview Included in the November 2008 DirectX SDK is a technical preview of Direct3D 11 and associated components and tools. Direct3D 11 is an update to Direct3D 10.1 enabling new hardware features as well as improving the breadth of configurations supported by Direct3D. As such, Direct3D 11 enables developers to create applications and games that work on Direct3D 10, Direct3D 10.1, and Direct3D 11 hardware when it becomes available. With the addition of WARP and Direct3D 10 Level 9, Direct3D 10.1 and Direct3D 11 have the ability to target fast software rasterization and Direct3D 9 hardware. This version of the Direct3D 11 technical preview includes support for the following: Tessellation Compute Shaders Multithreaded Rendering Dynamic Shader Linkage Windows Advanced Rasterizer (WARP) Direct3D 10 and Direct3D 11 on Direct3D 9 Hardware (D3D10 Level 9) Runtime Binaries D3DX11 Completely Updated HLSL and Direct3D Compiler D3D11 Reference Rasterizer D3D11 SDK Layers In addition, there are four new samples that highlight tessellation, computer shaders, mulithreaded rendering, and dynamic shader linkage.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
MJP
MJP
Thanks for the heads-up.

I wish I had time to mess around with D3D11...but I never even found time to play around with D3D10. [depressed]
Super Llama
Super Llama
Yeah, I have XP so I can't even try D3D10, let alone 11
It's a sofa! It's a camel! No! It's Super Llama!
andur
andur
Awesome, been looking forward to this :)
Stereo
Stereo
Downloading right now. I've been waiting for days to give WARP10 and 10-on-9 a shot after seeing it in a Microsoft PDC presentation. That should finally allow me to use Direct3D 10 in my projects (no, I don't own a D3D10-capable graphics card).

I hope there's documentation, too, about how to program one's very own software device. I used to spend a lot of my time working on a software rasterizer named Muli3D and have been thinking about reviving it lately.
sirob
sirob
Quote:
Original post by Stereo
Downloading right now. I've been waiting for days to give WARP10 and 10-on-9 a shot after seeing it in a Microsoft PDC presentation. That should finally allow me to use Direct3D 10 in my projects (no, I don't own a D3D10-capable graphics card).

I hope there's documentation, too, about how to program one's very own software device. I used to spend a lot of my time working on a software rasterizer named Muli3D and have been thinking about reviving it lately.


Both 10Level9 and WARP only work with the D3D11 runtime for now, just FYI.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
jollyjeffers
jollyjeffers
ooh, I didn't know they were releasing WARP and 10L9 just yet - thought that was still a bit hush hush! Very cool though - I quite like the way things are going with the various hardware support/combination (I'm lucky enough to not care for XP-compat personally) [grin]

Jack
<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ |
Demirug
Demirug
Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
ooh, I didn't know they were releasing WARP and 10L9 just yet - thought that was still a bit hush hush! Very cool though - I quite like the way things are going with the various hardware support/combination (I'm lucky enough to not care for XP-compat personally) [grin]

Jack


Technical Warp10 runs at XP. I read in a blog post that Microsoft have a somewhat modified runtime to make this possible. But as 10 Level 9 talks to WDDM drivers only it will not work on XP.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.