Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Cheese before bed

Started by speciesUnknown Nov 19, 2008 at 7:25 PM 34 replies 4.7k views
Original Post
speciesUnknown
speciesUnknown
My mum used to tell me that eating cheese before sleeping would give you bad dreams. I never believed this, until the other night when I ate cheese and crackers before sleeping. I had a dream that I was flying over australia and I found a kangaroo and then me and the kangaroo ate burgers on the beach. I want to compose a list of what cheeses cause what dreams. Stilton clearly makes you dream about kangaroos. Cheddar and edam and other hard cheese like that have no effect. Can everybody here please eat some cheese before sleeping, and report the results?
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
speciesUnknown
speciesUnknown
Well I dont know about writing cartoons about it, but I've eaten 120g of stilton and im about to go to sleep. I will report what happens. More kangaroos perhaps?
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
speciesUnknown
speciesUnknown
Quote:
Original post by PCN
I sure will. How much cheese? Does it matter?


120g of cheese, 10 minutes before laying down to sleep.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
polymorphed
polymorphed
You're not buying your cheese from that shady looking person on the street corner are you? Because then it might not be cheese.
while (tired) DrinkCoffee();
benryves
benryves
I have heard similar tales, but have never encountered any side-effects from eating large quantities of cheese before bed. That said, the French blood probably makes me immune.
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
mb108
mb108
Lactose intolerance?
d000hg
d000hg
Quote:
Original post by benryves
I have heard similar tales, but have never encountered any side-effects from eating large quantities of cheese before bed. That said, the French blood probably makes me immune.
Dude, you're supposed to drink red wine with cheese.

Sc4Freak
Sc4Freak
Quote:
Original post by speciesUnknown
My mum used to tell me that eating cheese before sleeping would give you bad dreams. I never believed this, until the other night when I ate cheese and crackers before sleeping. I had a dream that I was flying over australia and I found a kangaroo and then me and the kangaroo ate burgers on the beach.

I want to compose a list of what cheeses cause what dreams. Stilton clearly makes you dream about kangaroos. Cheddar and edam and other hard cheese like that have no effect.

Can everybody here please eat some cheese before sleeping, and report the results?

Wikipedia

Anecdotal evidence FTW.
choffstein
choffstein
I had an especially cheesy mozzarella pizza before going to bed the other night and had some pretty funky dreams ...

This sounds like a potentially very fun study. You could write a book on cheese and its affect on dreams. Maybe different cheeses give different 'highs'.

The explanation that I have heard for why this happens (and note, I know almost nothing about whether this is feasible or not -- or anything technical about it) is because your body never goes into a deep sleep state, because cheese is extremely hard to digest, so you end up using a lot of energy in the digestion process. Therefore, your brain never really switches off ... or something to that effect... and you end up having very surreal visions ...

[Edited by - visage on November 20, 2008 4:40:40 AM]
Ilici
Ilici
I'd guess it's the mold on the cheese that has some kind of effect. I really enjoy eating very moldy Roquefort and I love the smell of it - which i could describe as 'a little intoxicating'.
Maverick Programmer
Maverick Programmer
Just freaky. Here are my findings:

I was Eragon. You know, from the movie and the books. ( I read 'em >.> )
I was told to conduct my training elsewhere and to do so, the next country was passed this really high and barbwire fence. I think I refused. Then I somehow was actually in school again and my band teacher from then was practicing a music piece while I was off with my medieval-like shenanigans. So I had to listen to it. It was the Factory Boss song from Donkey Kong 64. I explained that to my old band director and he said it was entitled "Apus Feraligus in F# minor" while mine that I had heard ( Donkey Kong 64 ) was in Gb ( G flat minor ).

Somehow, with me being Eragon, my enemies kidnapped everyone I knew including the one I love ( love in real-life ). My "trainer" from the beginning of this dream told me that the evil king doing all of this had a life source that was underneath a special toilet. I found it and it was in the shape of a really crappy puzzle. Once solved, the life source could be moved anywhere. I was told to take it where the king could no longer find it ( right across the room ), but I dropped it before making it. Since I dropped it and the pieces were no longer together, I could not move the life-source. If I moved it, it would instantly go back to where I dropped it as if it was not even in my hand in the first place. Since I could not move it, the enemy units found his life source and told the king in which the king told everyone to kill me. Now instead of medieval, I walk out of the building and I am in the streets of New York. My trainer was waiting for me. He said, "The only way to break the evil king's power is to kill the one you love." Now I had to kill my girlfriend over and over in different ways to slowly decay the king's power. Every time, my trainer would revive my girl and every time I had to kill her once more. I was crying. It was terrible.

I hated it. No more cheese before bed. One experience is enough. O.ô
Holy crap, you can read!
speciesUnknown
speciesUnknown
I dreamed about arriving for an exam late and not knowing any of the material. Then I dreamed that microsoft bought my house and i had to live in a caravan.

I'm never eating cheese again.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
guywithknife
guywithknife
Eating cheese before sleeping has never did anything to me. Though, mayvbe I have weird dreams anyway and I just don't notice the difference :-D
Moe
Moe
Hmm, now there's a thought - dreams about eating cheese. I'd totally be game for that.

From reading the wikipedia entry about Stilton, I'm guessing the mild cheeses (cheddar, mozarella, marble, etc) wouldn't have any effect. I'm guessing its got to be something nice and moldy, like Stilton, blue cheese, etc.
LessBread
LessBread
California cheese makes you dream of happy cows... and electricity.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.