Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

First step in building your portfolio?

Started by Chocolate Milk Dec 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM 2 replies 600+ views
Original Post
Chocolate Milk
Chocolate Milk
Complete newb here. I'm interested in building 3D games someday, but I have no portfolio at all. Should I first fill it with something I can essentially do on my own (like a card game or simple mod)? Or is it reasonably possible to start with a design document, and hope that the idea attracts the attention of a programmer with the same mindset as you, building that portfolio. In the latter case, how far up the food chain can I step with just a good, fully detailed idea and no previous experience? 2D single player side scroller a place to start...?
Koobazaur
Koobazaur
If you want to be a programmer, program stuff and provide code samples.
If you want to be a game designer, write good design docs and put them up.

Really depends on which of the two you want to be.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.