Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Religious Game

Started by 022949 Jul 12, 2009 at 11:35 AM 23 replies 4.2k views
Original Post
022949
022949
Studio name: Immerstech Game Studios (not a registered company) Project name: Will be announced when I am contacted Brief description: A Religious 3d game that teaches people about Christ and the bible while being fun at the same time. Target aim: PC-Freeware Compensation: None unless otherwise needed Technology: We are currently using Microsoft Visual C++, Blender/Maya, and Adobe Photoshop Talent needed: 3d Artist, Texture Artist, Programmer, 3d Modeler/Animator Website: Not available at the moment Contacts: tankblank8265@live.com Feedback: ENCOURAGING ONLY [Edited by - 022949 on July 12, 2009 1:21:09 PM]
Dunge
Dunge
http://www.leftbehindgames.com/ Some folks already tried to make a game based on faith... no need to say it's a massive fail.

In my opinion religion of any kind, is simply a reason simple-minded peoples use to explain things they can't find a solution, or a reason why they did things they shouldn't have. It bring more wars than peace and this world and I would personally ban all type of religious activity if I could do so.

To quote Brian from Family Guy : "I hate to see people hating and killing each other over their own interpretation of what they are not smart enough to understand."

[Edited by - Dunge on July 12, 2009 12:29:34 PM]
022949
022949
I'm not trying to offend you sur but i am not making a violent game.

The game i am trying to make is about The chapters of the bible.

So like instead of reading the bible you could play it.
CHG-Swampert
CHG-Swampert
Quote:
Original post by Dunge
In my opinion religion of any kind, is simply a reason simple-minded peoples use to explain things they can't find a solution, or a reason why they did things they shouldn't have. It bring more wars than peace and this world and I would personally ban all type of religious activity if I could do so.

To quote Brian from Family Guy : "I hate to see people hating and killing each other over their own interpretation of what they are not smart enough to understand."


Amen to that.
hmm html ftw?
022949
022949
Whatever you guys can say and think whatever you want but it's not going to hurt me because this is what god want's me to do with my life.

[Edited by - 022949 on July 12, 2009 1:04:52 PM]
ChandlerT
ChandlerT
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
Before responding: read.


I agree with this. Let's stop before a large religious discussion breaks out.

022949 - I'm curious to know what talents you have and what knowledge you have of making a game. While your ambition is admirable, you need to know how difficult it is to make a 3D game of any genre.
022949
022949
I do understand how difficult it is to make a 3-D game if i wanted to create the whole bible game it would take a couple years or maybe more.

022949
022949
Quote:
Original post by ChandlerT
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
Before responding: read.


I agree with this. Let's stop before a large religious discussion breaks out.

022949 - I'm curious to know what talents you have and what knowledge you have of making a game. While your ambition is admirable, you need to know how difficult it is to make a 3D game of any genre.




In the gaming industry i am in these career fields: Composing, Producer, and CEO. And those career fields are expanding since i'm still being educated.

See why are you questioning me i'm only 14 years old and i'm already running a company sur.

I know games are not easy to make and you have to commit to them if you want them to be finished but please don't assume that i am a newbie to the development world.

Not trying to offend you either so if i did i am very sorry
Kalnos
Kalnos
Quote:
Original post by 022949
I'm not trying to offend you sur but i am not making a violent game.

The game i am trying to make is about The chapters of the bible.

So like instead of reading the bible you could play it.


Although I fear my fate by saying this, you are aware the Bible has to be one of the most violent books written, correct?
tankblank8265
tankblank8265
My bad i wrote that wrong yeah i know sur
Tyler Blank
bardbarienne
bardbarienne
For a forum made up of mostly athiests, it's interesting to note how many of the "25 Hottest Posts" are related to religion. At least in America we have freedom of religion, which exists as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of another.

This guy just wants to make a video game about religion, and he came here to ask if anyone wanted to help. That's not infringing on your rights at all, and it was hardly an invitation to attack him. Does this forum have no mutual respect rules?

To me, the most vehement fundamentalists and the most vehement athiests start looking about the same.

In any event, I don't think the game idea is necessarily bad, as long as you did your research and made it realistic. Remember that the Bible was written years after the events actually occured, so you may have to take some liberties. This sort of game could, at the worst end, end up as a rote question/answer of Bible passages: "Can you tell me what Jesus did next?" which might be useful for a Sunday school teacher, but wouldn't be exactly enjoyable.

I would make it an immersive experience, perhaps almost a point-and-click sim; you play as one of the disciples, and you go through daily life in Galilee (milk goats, make lunch, eat lunch, pray, sell goods to trader) while at the same time experiencing the events as they happened. If it were historically accurate, this would be useful to many more people than just Christians; events usually make more sense if they're put in their historical context, and it would remove all the annoying thees and thous that got put in when King James decided to make the Bible sound fancy.

Side note: if your player character was Jesus, that would be so awesome. 8D

(I myself am not exactly a Christian, but I find that even though many people hate the church, or god(s), it's really hard to hate Jesus. It's like hating Buddha. They're both pretty cool guys, and they teach the right stuff. It's the interpreters that screw it up (the church).)
jzawislak
jzawislak
Well, a couple things. I don't think its appropriate to come into a thread to flame a guy based on his game. He's looking for help on his project, not criticism on his beliefs.

Secondly, Jesus said he was the only way. So believing in him and Buddha is... illogical. They're mutually exclusive.

Thirdly, yes I'm interested in helping with your project. But as I said in my thread, I cannot afford to work for free at this time in my life. I'm barely scraping by as it is. So I apologize for that. I realize it is a tough time for everyone.
Justin Zawislak3d Artist - Ringling College of Art and Design Alumnihttp://www.3djustin.comjzawislak@gmail.com
ChandlerT
ChandlerT
Quote:
Original post by bardbarienne

This guy just wants to make a video game about religion, and he came here to ask if anyone wanted to help. That's not infringing on your rights at all, and it was hardly an invitation to attack him. Does this forum have no mutual respect rules?



The whole point of jbadams post was to make sure we didn't have problems like this. I'll go ahead and save him the time and say again that this post should have no comments about religious beliefs or faith and only comments on his actual project, which also happens to be double posted. 022949 or tankblank, whoever is in charge, you may want to have one of yours posts deleted as there is no reason to have two posts on the same project.

/end self-moderation which I really have no place doing, but oh well.
DorianC
DorianC
yea from the look of these post, you chose the wrong game development website to post about a religious game, but i wish you luck with your project:)

aside from that i agree with ChandlerT, a game like this should of posted NONE for the Feedback option.
Dunge
Dunge
Wow I'm sorry, it wasn't in my intention at all to start a big debate. Of course this is not the place, especially since he wrote "Feedback: ENCOURAGING ONLY". I simply wanted to post the link, then couldn't resist to say my point of view.
mastersmith
mastersmith
Usually when games, movies, or fictional books are based soley on "let's teach people something" instead of "let's make a great game/movie/fiction," the game/movie/fiction ends up not being entertaining at all. Why not come up with a great game idea, mechanics, fiction and all, then find ways to apply your christian/religious themes into the game. If you do it the other way around "religious theme before good game/story idea," then your message seems forced and you'll probably end up just having generic bland gameplay.

Lost is a good example of something that doesn't explicitly force its spiritual/religious themes down the viewers' collective throat. Although the story uses these themes heavily, they blend right into the fiction of the world and just seem natural. The themes they chose fit naturally with everything they want to do, and they don't sacrifice the entertainment value of the show.

Create a game like World of Goo that has a fun mechanic behind it, but then start adding the story elements like 2d boy did with the sign painter, cut scenes and environmental story cues. So, for example, you come up with this great gameplay idea where you have to guide a boat down a stream, avoiding obstacles to get to the next area. well, once you've completely fleshed out the whole game, then you can start adding story details and make this boat journey a metaphor for finding christ or whatever you want. as long as you keep your religious themes subtle, it will be that much more engaging and interesting to experience and play. remember, games are about having fun and enjoying the experience.

and event though I am an atheist, and vehemently against all religions and their backwards modes of thought, I can respect people who do believe in their respective religion, especially when they're not preaching or encroaching upon others' beliefs.
jzawislak
jzawislak
ENCOURAGING COMMENTS ONLY.

The problem is, the entire command of Jesus was not subtlety. It was boldness and truth. So to make a subtly Christian game wouldn't be very Christian at all. Not saying it would be a bad game. It would probably be more successful. But Christ didn't please the masses, if you read his history. His goal was not to appeal to what people's "itching ears" wanted to hear.

As for LOST, I love it. But it's quite a stretch to call it religious in any way. It's BARELY spiritual. Spiritual is such a broad and generic term, it fits so many categories.

The point is, this guy wants to make his game, and he has the equal right to come in here to look for help without getting berated by anyone. He's looking for help with his project, not for comments regarding whether or not he should even make it. So much for our society of "tolerance".

I just really wish a mod would come in here and delete all the personal religious opinion posts. This is supposed to be a professional area for developers to find work.
Justin Zawislak3d Artist - Ringling College of Art and Design Alumnihttp://www.3djustin.comjzawislak@gmail.com
Wan
Wan
Quote:
Original post by 022949
Feedback:
ENCOURAGING ONLY

This atheist wishes you good luck with the project! [smile]

Quote:
Original post by Dunge
http://www.leftbehindgames.com/ Some folks already tried to make a game based on faith... no need to say it's a massive fail.

That is actually quite encouraging. Trying to compete with Blizzard or Valve would be a task of monumental proportions. Sounds like this niche is still up for grabs.
tankblank8265
tankblank8265
Thank you very much sur.

What are your cheap payrates? Since it is a Religious Game.


Quote:
Original post by jzawislak
Well, a couple things. I don't think its appropriate to come into a thread to flame a guy based on his game. He's looking for help on his project, not criticism on his beliefs.

Secondly, Jesus said he was the only way. So believing in him and Buddha is... illogical. They're mutually exclusive.

Thirdly, yes I'm interested in helping with your project. But as I said in my thread, I cannot afford to work for free at this time in my life. I'm barely scraping by as it is. So I apologize for that. I realize it is a tough time for everyone.


Tyler Blank

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.