Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GDNet at the Movies: District 9 is NOT an Apartheid Allegory. It is much less.

Started by Oluseyi Aug 19, 2009 at 7:09 AM 13 replies 5.4k views
Original Post
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
In the days leading up to the release of Neill Blomkamp's directorial debut, I became aware of a recurring piece of lazy analysis. Blomkamp, you see, is South African, and District 9 is set in Johannesburg and features an alien race segregated from the general populace. Preview after preview dubbed the film an "apartheid allegory," which I found questionable under both the legal and social contexts. While District 9 is clearly a reference to District Six, that's not what the film is about. It was like I could see the review arithmetic at work: South Africa + discrimination = apartheid. That's unfortunate, because it applies a bias that precludes the larger questions that District 9 raises - though, ultimately, they are neither that interesting nor that novel. Obligatory spoiler warning, so if knowing anything about the story or characters of a film before watching it ruins it for you, you should probably stop reading now. Ordinarily, I am the sort of guy who can enjoy visceral but "empty" entertainment on its own merits. This summer, however, Transformers 2, Terminator: Salvation and G.I. JOE have sorely tested my resolve. Perhaps I approached District 9 with a more critical eye than usual, or perhaps the pre-release hype proclaiming it as "very, very good" raised my expectations. I wasn't exactly disappointed, but I wasn't blown away, either. I saw the film on Saturday, and at first I felt certain that I would write a review. When I began to marshal my thoughts to essay, however, I realized that the film didn't say anything. It doesn't deliver enough of an interesting adventure with classic "good" and "evil" arcs, it doesn't revolve around any one ethical issue, it doesn't introduce any scientific thinking that is central to its plot. It's just a very competent interstitial, which perhaps speaks to Mr. Blomkamp's long history in advertising. The film inverts the common alien invasion by having the "invaders" easily overpowered and subjugated, despite their superior technology and likely superior physical strength and durability. The aliens are (eventually) placed in a designated area and prohibited from venturing into the rest of the city, which is the origin of the apartheid refrain, I suppose, but that's just the beginning of the story. The film develops from there to touch on other things, in all cases lightly and insubstantially. I like that the film isn't set in the cities typically presumed to be important or relevant enough to warrant alien contact - New York, Washington, D.C., London, Paris, Rome. Why Johannesburg, though? The film never says, and, really, it doesn't matter why. It's just cool that it is, because it opens up opportunities for lots of characters with interesting names, interesting accents and interesting perspectives. The world around the alien encampment is turbulent, somewhat chaotic at times, alive with palpable "African-ness." Even better, none of the central characters is an American expatriate on an African safari. No, these are South Africans and Nigerians, Wikus van der Merwe and Fundiswa Mhlanga and Obesandjo. The special effects are appropriately subtle for the aliens and nice and punchy for the weapons. The characters are interesting, and you're quickly drawn into Wikus' struggle to stay alive and return to normalcy, as well as "Christopher Johnson's" desire to protect his son and return to his home world. The problem is the final third of the film, which resolves nothing. Christopher manages to return to the mothership hovering overhead and then presumably head for his home planet, but he leaves all of his fellow aliens behind. Wikus manages to stay alive, but he's fully mutated into a "prawn" by the end. The aliens are still relocated, MNU is still massively influential and powerful (in fact, Fundiswe is thrown in jail for revealing MNU's illegal genetic research)... If I wanted to watch a documentary of ineffectiveness, I'd watch C-SPAN. Of the various premises touched upon earlier in the film, none is carried to a satisfying conclusion. The final confrontation is between a minor bureaucrat and a mercenary, but neither vanquishes the other - a perfect microcosm of the film as a whole. District 9 is a pretender. It wears the garb of science fiction, but it lacks the genuine philosophical consideration of the human condition that marks the best science fiction; it really is a space opera, but without the grandeur and sense of fun that pervades the best of those - think this summer's Star Trek, or the original Star Wars trilogy. District 9 is too grimy, too covered in muck... too pedestrian.
HostileExpanse
HostileExpanse
Nice review. I'll do it a bit of injustice by tacking on a few of my thoughts.


I think there was a lot of correlation between Wikus's transformation from a naive tool of "the Man" and his more obvious transformation. I enjoyed the dichotomy wherein he was actually more "human" [compassionate, competent] at the end of the movie. I found the movie particularly interesting since it was actually able to garner my sympathies for somewhat grotesque aliens.

Aside from the exploration of an intrguing "What Would We Do" question, there did not seem to be a large question that the film attempted to resolve, which was fine by me, but might annoy more critical viewers.


As for apartheid ... there is a lot of segregation, but it does seem that the aliens were granted at least a minimum of legal rights, a citizenship of some form, perhaps.
Moe
Moe
So from what I can figure, the film is more or less an extended version of "Alive in Joburg". Am I wrong?
Zipster
Zipster
I wasn't really blown away by District 9 either, although I did enjoy it as a whole. It was very much "a documentary of ineffectiveness" since nothing ended up changing, except for the giant ship leaving and a single human turning into an alien. But the rest of the aliens were still there, they were still segregated, and life went on as it had been for the last 20 years.
mattnewport
mattnewport
It seems they're intending to make a trilogy, which given the box office the movie's done seems likely to happen now, so that would explain the lack of resolution at the end. I'm guessing they have some ideas for a bigger budget sequel where the aliens return, presumably with the leadership caste whose absence rendered the worker prawns unable to coordinate resistance against the technologically inferior human forces.
Calabi
Calabi
Sounds like an allegory of life.

Seems like an irresolvable problem. It reminds me of the matrix and why the sequels were so bad.

From the position and set up of the first film the humans are in an impossible situation. They have been subjugated completely and effectively(the sequels make it clear that it is total).

If they had followed that conclusion from the original there would have been no way out, the machines were/are unbeatable. They had to come up with some trite baddy, and messiah mumbo jumbo. The ending is rubbish, doesnt make any sense and just doesnt fit.

There are loads of films where they have to conclude and rap things up at the end all neatly, all for the viewers pleasure. You can see what they've done how they've done it, it can come off as condescending(Wolverine as one example).

It appears there was a conclusion though, one character fled the madness.

Sounds even better than I'd hoped. Much better than these David and Goliath stories we're always treated to, where David doesnt just beat goliath but the army too.

[Edited by - Calabi on August 24, 2009 4:44:36 PM]
HostileExpanse
HostileExpanse
Quote:
Original post by Calabi
Sounds even better than I'd hoped. Much better than these David and Goliath stories where always treated to, where David doesnt just beat goliath but the army too.


Uh oh .... I'm not sure that District 9 broke that trend. (Part of the character conflict was that the protagonist gained some abilities with military applicability.)
Calabi
Calabi
Quote:
Uh oh .... I'm not sure that District 9 broke that trend. (Part of the character conflict was that the protagonist gained some abilities with military applicability.)


Dammit, maybe not so good then.
nilkn
nilkn
If they're making a trilogy, this was a good starter film to build up the story, and I'd be pretty interested to see where they take it in the two sequels. If this movie is it, then in the end it seemed a bit pointless since it left so much unresolved. (For the record, I really couldn't care less whether the movie is an allegory or not, so I didn't think about that aspect of the film whatsoever while watching it.)
Prinz Eugn
Prinz Eugn
District 9 was okay. I too was disappointed, I think I heard too much about it beforehand. It just didn't do it for me... the characters weren't ever very likeable- the only alien that wasn't incompetent got the hell out of Dodge, leaving everybody behind (save his son), and it took the only real sympathetic human 90% of the movie to stop acting like an asshole. Pretty much everything save the guns had unlikable personalities. Oh, except the alien kid, but you'd have to try really hard to fuck up a character like that.

I would have rather skipped all the iffy moral exposition and had my Halo movie.
-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal
Tha_HoodRat
Tha_HoodRat
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
GDNet at the Movies: District 9 is NOT an Apartheid Allegory. It is much less..



I don't think the director was going for an Apartheid allegory but something much softer, at least according to this interview.


Quote:
So having said that, I grew up in South Africa during Apartheid and I very actively wanted to make a film that had science fiction placed in that African setting, specifically that South African setting. There’s no question that there’s many, many, many elements of Apartheid and segregation and now xenophobia in South Africa that have made their way into the film but they provide the sort of foundation that the film rests on top of. It’s like a framework that’s there and it provides a very strange alternate reality because there’s aliens involved, but it doesn’t beat you over the head.


I enjoyed the movie because it felt different from the typical powerful Aliens invade, destroy a bunch of stuff, humans find a weakness and managed to exploit it see War of the worlds, Independence Day, Mars Attack, The Day the Earth Stood Still...........................

I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Melekor
Melekor
Oh man, this movie really pissed me off bigtime.

The hype and trailer were total bait and switch. They make you think the movie is going to be some kind of epic realistic scifi about aliens stuck on earth forced to interact with humans, and an examination of the implications of that. In reality the movie is just a dumb special effects CGI action showpiece with copious amounts of violence and gore. (Did anyone notice, the "interview" scene from the trailer wasn't even in the movie?)

The backstory and the premise of the movie are basically ignored. They never really explain anything - about the history, about the aliens, their technology, etc, and never expand on any interesting ideas. The "documentary style" is just an annoying gimmick that isn't really done right. The "story" is so silly it's cringeworthy.

About halfway through the movie I decided for myself that since I obviously couldn't enjoy the movie as a scifi as I had intended to, I would try to enjoy it as an action flick since that seemed to be the one thing it had going for it. However that also failed because the main character kept pissing me off so it was impossible to root for him. Actually I just kept wishing he'd die already.

So obviously I think the movie blew. But this movie is already a huge commercial success. When I went, the theatre was completely packed. The movie is currently sitting at #35 on IMDB with 8.7 rating. What gives, why do people love this movie so much?
Silvermyst
Silvermyst
I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I liked that the main human character didn't turn all goodie-goodie (even his "you go, I'll stay" at the end wasn't all that altruistic, since it was the only way for him to have a chance at reversing the physiological change). A fun ride, which is all that I expected from this movie. Unlike that Quentin movie, which bored the heck out of me.
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Sirisian
Sirisian
Quote:
Original post by Prinz Eugn
District 9 was okay. I too was disappointed, I think I heard too much about it beforehand. It just didn't do it for me... the characters weren't ever very likeable- the only alien that wasn't incompetent got the hell out of Dodge, leaving everybody behind (save his son), and it took the only real sympathetic human 90% of the movie to stop acting like an asshole. Pretty much everything save the guns had unlikable personalities. Oh, except the alien kid, but you'd have to try really hard to fuck up a character like that.

I would have rather skipped all the iffy moral exposition and had my Halo movie.
Wow you summed it up perfectly. I enjoyed the CG effects. I want to see a sequel made. It should be called District 10. Then after that 8 prequels. I'd probably watch them.

About the main character being an asshole. The scene where he hits the good alien and tries to steal the ship is the most ridiculous thing ever. wtf was he planning on doing.
outRider
outRider
I'm a picky viewer and I enjoyed this movie a great deal. I loved the fact that it was set in SA, as Oluseyi said the names, accents, backdrops were all refreshing. The documentary feel was also used well, it made suspending my disbelief that much easier; to me the rest of the film follows logically from the premise that what we're seeing could have really happened. The fact that the main character was less than perfect, and in fact somewhat dislikable for most of the movie went along with the documentary feel of the film; real people aren't always noble and selfless all of the time. On the flip side, there were times where Wikus was given some basic human decency; the scene with the alien weapon and the sacrificial prawn comes to mind. I love the fact that the ending wasn't (disproportionately) happy. Had the aliens all escaped or had the humans and aliens come together in some kind of kumbaya moment it would have contradicted the entire mood of the film, I don't want everything to be tied up in a neat little package thank you; the ending we got was logical and I was pretty satisfied with it. If they wanted to leave room for a sequel and leave me curious to see what happens next they certainly succeeded, but I'll be just as content should a sequel never come.

The only gratuitous part of this movie was towards the end where Wikus obtains a certain piece of lethal equipment, but by then the protagonists had me so solidly on their side and I was happy to see them fight back and wreak havoc on MNU and the gangs.

Overall a great movie, I was pleasantly surprised. Here's hoping all of the good things in this film carry over into any forthcoming sequels.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.