Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

separate ok but together not?

Started by GiantPaul Sep 9, 2009 at 4:45 AM 13 replies 2.3k views
Original Post
GiantPaul
GiantPaul
If I made a space game and had a race called Cyborgs then I bet I would not violate any copyrights even though the name is similar to the Borg from Star Trek. Having cube ships is also allowed since it's a generic shape. But if this game had cyborgs with cube ships then this would remind everyone of the Borg with their cube ships. So would this break any copyrights?
Programmer One
Programmer One
IANAL. Naming something "Cyborgs" with "cube shapes" does not violate copyright laws. Naming your game "The Borgs" and replicating the Borg ship entirely would be a violation.

The word Cyborg is a dictionary term, which is a shortened version of the two words cybernetic organism. A flying space cube...well, I suppose it comes down to how you texture it. If it looks entirely different than the Borg ship, disregarding the shape itself, I think you would be fine.
Machaira
Machaira
What you should be asking yourself is - why would I want to do it that way? Is there a specific reason why they would have cube ships? Why go looking for trouble. Come up with something original and avoid the potential problem in the first place.
Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development
davepermen
davepermen
yeah! make it a 3dimensional square!



sorry :)
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia
My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud
owl
owl
Yeah, make them inhabitable cylinders as A.C. Clarke's RAMA ships. No movie has been made of that book yet.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
ZuBsPacE
ZuBsPacE
Quote:
Original post by GiantPaul
Having cube ships is also allowed since it's a generic shape.

Watch out! Cubes have edges!...

Anyway, you should consult a lawyer, but I guess as long as you don't call them Borg you should be fine. Maybe give them a less known name or invent something (just now "cybers" came to my mind)

Regarding the cube ships. There are so many space ship games/movies out there, similarities between ships are unavoidable, but just to be clear, ianal.
----------------------#include "signature.h"
DavidNeal
DavidNeal
Whew! Thought this was gonna be a racially charged thread.

What if you gave the cube ships party hats?! Problem solved :P!

Why do you want cube space ships anyway?
SeraphLance
SeraphLance
As said above, you should consult a lawyer.

It's perfectly possible to infringe copyright by likeness alone. If you have a game about a red plumber named Tony who runs around jumping on 'turtlemen' trying to save 'princess antoinette' of the 'fungal kingdom' from the 'turtlemen king' and his army of ghosts and evil mushrooms, you can bet you'll see a takedown notice (particularly if you try to sell it). How far you have to go for someone to have grounds to sue you on likeness is a bit of a slippery slope, which is why you should consult a lawyer. This isn't the sort of thing you should bank on forum answers for.

Of course, the ideal would to not make such flagrant similarities in the first place.
szecs
szecs
How about sphere ships?
If we ever be in space (arggh my English), sphere would be an optimal shape, it has the smallest surface at a given volume, and stress distribution is more optional too.
OMG I'm so f. clever
Rycross
Rycross
Law isn't a science. We can speculate about how similar to Star Trek's Borg your theoretical game would have to come, but what it really comes down to is how well their lawyers can argue their case. Cyborgs with cubic space ships may or may not be acceptable, depending on numerous things, including presentation. Its best to just avoid it altogether and work on being original.

I'd suspect a cube would make a terrible spaceship design anyway. Given that a spaceship has to dump heat almost entirely via thermal radiation, you'd want a spaceship with a good surface-area to volume ratio, which a giant cube probably doesn't give you.
Programmer One
Programmer One
Quote:
Original post by szecs
How about sphere ships?
If we ever be in space (arggh my English), sphere would be an optimal shape, it has the smallest surface at a given volume, and stress distribution is more optional too.
OMG I'm so f. clever


Yeah but then it would look like the Death Star. [grin]
GreenToad
GreenToad
Quote:
Original post by Programmer One
Quote:
Original post by szecs
How about sphere ships?
If we ever be in space (arggh my English), sphere would be an optimal shape, it has the smallest surface at a given volume, and stress distribution is more optional too.
OMG I'm so f. clever


Yeah but then it would look like the Death Star. [grin]

And the borg have dibs on the sphere shape as well:
Codeka
Codeka
Quote:
Original post by Programmer One
Quote:
Original post by szecs
How about sphere ships?
If we ever be in space (arggh my English), sphere would be an optimal shape, it has the smallest surface at a given volume, and stress distribution is more optional too.
OMG I'm so f. clever


Yeah but then it would look like the Death Star. [grin]
I think you can claim prior art here, though, since Mother Nature beat them all to the punch and designed planets as spheres long before the Death Star :-)
DevFred
DevFred
Quote:
Original post by GiantPaul
separate ok but together not?

Am I the only one who thought this was a thread about relationship problems? :)
Tha_HoodRat
Tha_HoodRat
Quote:
Original post by DevFred
Quote:
Original post by GiantPaul
separate ok but together not?

Am I the only one who thought this was a thread about relationship problems? :)



I thought that as well. =) back on topic can you post a screenshot of the spaceship?
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.