Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Composing/Performing For Video Games

Started by Xnipes Nov 13, 2009 at 9:39 PM 11 replies 2.9k views
Original Post
Xnipes
Xnipes
Playing guitar and writing my own music is basically my life alongside video games. I will be entering university for performance and stuff. I just want to know: Is there any opportunity in the game industry for a musician/guitarist? Or would I have to go into composing or something like that? Clear question: Is there any opportunity perform with my instrument (guitar) in the industry or if I want a job will I have to go into composing etc? [Edited by - Xnipes on November 13, 2009 10:39:44 PM]
Atrix256
Atrix256
Unfortunately i dont have much specific information but yes! there is tremendous need for music in video games.

here's a link to an interview with the audio director of SOE, there might be some interesting info in there for you (:

https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view=bsp&ver=1qygpcgurkovy

and hopefully someone else will speak up too with better, more specific info (:
Xnipes
Xnipes
Broken link. =X
Atrix256
Atrix256
Oops..

http://www.garageband.com/mp3cat/.UZCPZCuG56_h/01_Blargh__Yargh_.mp3
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
Quote:

I just want to know: Is there any opportunity in the game industry for a musician/guitarist? Or would I have to go into composing or something like that?


It seems like you're asking if you need to start taking composition and theory classes. It never hurts! But I also know plenty of folks that have enough raw talent and other musical knowledge to get by. You don't have to hold a degree in music composition to land a job writing music for video games- you're music just has to be good.

Quote:
Clear question: Is there any opportunity perform with my instrument (guitar) in the industry or if I want a job will I have to go into composing etc?


Both! I'm a saxophonist and I've had several opportunities to play my instrument for my projects. But you also have to be able to fill in the rest of the music yourself. Rarely will a client only want guitar for a music track, so you'd probably have to do the drums, bass and other instruments yourself.
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
Xnipes
Xnipes
Thank you for the reply!

How would I get started in doing video game music? Like I said I can compose a song or two on guitar but I doubt that companies will want a guitar as their whole soundtrack. I obviously don't have access to a whole orchestra. I have access to things like drums/bass/other guitars but not brass/woodwind instruments.
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
Quote:
How would I get started in doing video game music?


You'd need a computer, a DAW (digital audio workstation) program, then a collection of samples (either called AU or VST depending on your set up). The quality of samples can differ drastically as well as the price. You'd also need a MIDI controller and since you're a guitar player a MIDI guitar controller might be best. You could also use the ol' point-n-click method but that takes much longer.

Then you'd start writing music, usually one layer at a time. For example you might lay down a drum pattern for 8 bars, then some bass and finally guitar. Top it off with some synth sounds and VOILA you're making a song.

There are many options out there for hardware and software. Some examples of a DAW programs are:

* Ableton Live
* ACID Pro
* Adobe Audition
* Cakewalk Sonar
* Digital Performer
* FL Studio
* GarageBand
* Logic Pro
* Nuendo
* Pro Tools
* REAPER
* Soundtrack Pro
* Steinberg Cubase
* Tracktion

You'd also need a good sound card. Once you explore this industry for a little bit you'll realize that you could spend very little and do decent work or spend tons and do top notch work. It all depends on your passion, goals and situation.
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
Daracarys
Daracarys
Hey Nate, do you think this qualifies as a good sound card? It's pretty much for gaming. It came with my PC, and was roughly $200 dollars canadian.


http://www.guru3d.com/article/auzentech-xfi-forte-71-soundcard-review-test/
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
When I look for a sound card (internal or external) I want to know information like:

Quote:
up to 24-bit/192kHz audio
2 x 2 balanced analog I/O
S/PDIF digital I/O with PCM and surround
direct hardware input monitoring
16-channel MIDI I/O


and I don't see any of that really detailed in the link you provided. Gut reaction to what I did see: no.

If you're wanting to spend around $130 USD or less for a internal soundcard to record with and such, I'd look at:

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 24 bit/96kHz PCI Digital Pro Audio Soundcard

Thanks,

Nathan
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
Daracarys
Daracarys
Sorry that link wasn't very descriptive

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/x-fi_forte.php
jjandreau
jjandreau
Xnipes, great questions!

Something that my be important to keep in mind, is that you play guitar. Because of the sheer volume of musicians that play guitar, it would definitely be important for you to be able to distinguish yourself in a unique way - that is, something that makes you marketable.

It may also be a good idea to remember to keep your horizons broad - that is, instead of only focusing on performance for video game recordings, why not think about becoming a studio musician, where you look for work involving movies, video games, tv shows, cartoons, recordings on albums.

Hope this helps a little bit!

jj
Daniel_B
Daniel_B
Quote:
Original post by Xnipes
How would I get started in doing video game music? Like I said I can compose a song or two on guitar but I doubt that companies will want a guitar as their whole soundtrack. I obviously don't have access to a whole orchestra. I have access to things like drums/bass/other guitars but not brass/woodwind instruments.


Guess what.

Most orchestral video game music? Fake. Virtual orchestras. I have a virtual orchestra myself.

Technology 101 for Video Game music.

You either need a DAW like Cubase, Pro Tools, or Logic (where you record layering tracks [which would be the different parts of the orchestra] from a MIDI keyboard or maybe for you, a MIDI guitar) or a Notation Program (where you write music out in sheet music) like Sibelius or Finale (but those are more specialized in printing than audio export). For your needs, I recommend a DAW OR a powerful notation program specialized in audio. It all depends on personal preference. DAWs are usually more powerful, but I find notation programs a bit less intimidating technology-wise (I don't know why), and I prefer to write things out in a score. Try the demos.

For a DAW, I recommend Reaper, which is the cheapest I've seen at $60. Compared to that standard $500 for a DAW, that's dirt cheap. http://www.cockos.com/reaper/ I don't think it comes with orchestra sounds, so you'll have to buy some. The highest quality low-end one I've found: http://garritan.com

For a notation program specialized in audio, I recommend Notion. It's about as powerful as a DAW, and dirt cheap at $100 (I paid $500 for Sibelius, but I need it's powerful print features), which is rare. http://notionmusic.com These comes with orchestra sounds.

Now if you choose a DAW. To record the virtual orchestra sounds INTO the DAW, you'll need a MIDI keyboard controller, which can be a couple hundred. I don't know about a guitar controller.. I'd do a google search.

Yes. The technology is intimidating and expensive, but that's what's there.

Did I miss anything? :D
Jay Taylor
Jay Taylor
I am more at home on guitar than keys also.

I started learning keys just for composing, and it's of benefit especially when writing for piano & organ.

I checked this out, it's meant to be alright

http://www.gearwire.com/peterson-sonuusg2m.html

Not too much lag.

If you can get a guitar with midi pickups and a midi converter, that's better, but much more expensive so it might not be worth it.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.