Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Dark Age Version 0.4.1006 Released!

Started by Black Knight Nov 15, 2009 at 12:58 PM 51 replies 10.8k views
Original Post
Black Knight
Black Knight
The new release is ready after another busy month.This release contains lots of new features,improvements and fixes.I have found a couple of bugs that would crash the game or editor in certain circumstances,hopefully they are fixed now. The game has locked doors now which require the correct key to open or a lock pick item that can be bought from the merchants.When you click a door if you already have the right key it will automatically unlock.If you don't have the right key you can try taking a lock pick from your inventory and clicking on the door to unlock it.Your chance to pick a door is based on your lock pick skill.Door can also be opened by levers that can be found inside the dungeons. There is a single type of trap included in the game.It is very simple and damages you if you get in it.There are other important features like inventory item stacking,smoke particle systems,new sounds,new tree model,different terrain grass texture. Here are the download links and the change log.Have fun and please let me know if you encounter any bugs or crashes. I need help with character models and animations so if you think you can help just drop a message or send an email. Download : Dark Age v0.4.1006 Videos : Download
">Editor on YouTube
">Game on YouTube
Changelog : Dark Age Change Log Screenshots: [Edited by - Black Knight on December 17, 2009 9:03:49 PM]
Stani R
Stani R
The screenshots look quite cool! Nice water reflections. Unfortunately, both the game (windowed and fullscreen, with and without vsync, at various resolutions) as well as the editor immediately crash to desktop before even loading.

Running x86 XP Pro SP3, P4 3GHz, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8600 GT with latest NVidia drivers (191.07). Let me know if there's anything you want me to try.
Mybowlcut
Mybowlcut
Oh sweeeeet. You've added interior levels and stuff! Will download now..

Edit: Just downloaded it then. I went to install it but it said I have to remove the existing version first. Just thought I'd let you know in case you weren't aware of that.

I tried playing it in 1024x768 in windowed mode with VSync on (default settings) and it crashed. Full screen also crashes.

Black Knight
Black Knight
Hmm is there anything in the log file?
I will look into this when I get home.
Any error messages when running the editor or the game?
Black Knight
Black Knight
Ok I tried the game and the editor on my computer and they both run.I did a fresh install from the downloaded file.I am running windows 7 radeon 5850.
Do you guys have vc 2008 redistributable and DX August redistributable installed?
The installer should install those but maybe there is something wrong.
Stani R
Stani R
Quote:
Original post by Black Knight
Do you guys have vc 2008 redistributable and DX August redistributable installed?
The installer should install those but maybe there is something wrong.


DirectX wasn't part of your download. I had 9.0c but after updating over the internet it now works. Well, pretty impressive. The editor is cool, too! But after being corpse-camped by goblins at the graveyard for 30 times I ended up giving up -_-;;; By the way, you should really provide an uninstaller.

On another note, I also updated DirectX on my laptop and tried it there (Windows 7, DirectX 11) but it kept crashing, presumably because I am running with standard VGA drivers since neither NVidia nor Sony saw it fit to release an update. It crashes before it can make a log file, but the error message on Windows 7 is much more helpful:

Requested mode is not available
File: .\src\DirectX\D3DRenderer.cpp
Function: STE::D3DRenderer::D3DRenderer
Line: 104
-----------------------
STEngine
Erik Rufelt
Erik Rufelt
Very nice, but I can't kill anything..
Is there a sword somewhere? That bow sucks =)
Stani R
Stani R
The sword is right next to the bow when you start.
Erik Rufelt
Erik Rufelt
Omg, how did I miss that? =)
I'll have to play again.
Black Knight
Black Knight
OK thanks for the info.I will re check my installer and see why the DX setup is not working.It is part of the installer as a custom step and it is configured to do a silent install.I wonder why it is not working.
Codeka
Codeka
I ran it successfully on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop without problems. It ran really nicely!

I did struggle a bit to figure out what to do (I found the guy with the goblins quest, found the goblins and died trying to attack the second one... I guess you gotta go to the trainer and stuff first? I seemed to run out of energy really quickly and the goblins could run faster than me [though maybe there's a "run faster" button that I missed in the intro text?])

Also, the controls took a while to get used to... with that sort of top-down view, I think WASD for move forwards, left, back, right makes more sense than A/D for turning left/right. But maybe it's just me...

Other than that, it's really great! What did you use for the user interface? I always find UI stuff is the most tedious to work on :)
Black Knight
Black Knight
Yeah I haven't really spent much time on balancing stuff.So you need to take goblins one by one or they will gang you.The controls still need to work I might ditch the wasd thing and go back to point and click.

The GUI is totally done in C++ I have a few classes for different controls like slider,button, panel etc.They all have boost::function methods for onClick onOver etc.I use these to send events to my application.As for rendering all the GUI items use the ID3DXSprite class.
BLiTZWiNG
BLiTZWiNG
I gotta say, it looks quite nice!

Did you use an engine for this or is it all hand coded, programmer art?
Stani R
Stani R
Quote:
Original post by Black Knight
OK thanks for the info.I will re check my installer and see why the DX setup is not working.It is part of the installer as a custom step and it is configured to do a silent install.I wonder why it is not working.

Could it be that you just forgot to include it? Because it was in not in any directory in the zip. There was only a setup, an MSI file, and the VC++ redist. Or is it supposed to be baked into the MSI?
Black Knight
Black Knight
Quote:
Original post by lightbringer
Quote:
Original post by Black Knight
OK thanks for the info.I will re check my installer and see why the DX setup is not working.It is part of the installer as a custom step and it is configured to do a silent install.I wonder why it is not working.

Could it be that you just forgot to include it? Because it was in not in any directory in the zip. There was only a setup, an MSI file, and the VC++ redist. Or is it supposed to be baked into the MSI?


Yes it should be inside the msi.After you install the game it should be under a DX folder under the game too.
Stani R
Stani R
Yeah, I see it now, in the program dir. Didn't get installed tho, on XP or 7.
Black Knight
Black Knight
Well it shouldn't show any install interface when its run with the /silent flag but it should still install in the background.I will check it on a different machine to test.
Stani R
Stani R
I would think it would've shown up in the add/remove programs then... or maybe not, I'm not a DirectX guy... but the files I downloaded and installed to get your game to run weren't actually the august redist but rather the end-user runtime, so maybe there's a difference in there.
nhold
nhold
First of all, an excellent game! I enjoyed it immensely! I played it for about 2 hours or so, made several different characters and finished the dungeon quest which when I finished told me to go to an old topic xD. The water effects, shadows and sky were very well done. The weather effects were very cool as well, seemed pretty realistic with the sounds.

Anyway time for Criticism\Suggestions\Bugs:

- I don't know if it was intended but you can kill sheep with the 'Powerful Blow' skill.
- A map would be very handy (I explored a LOT and got lost for a while even with the compass).
- Moving the camera is hard to figure out, as far as I know right-click isn't used for anything, assigning that to the camera would be more intuitive.
- You can walk straight down cliff faces. (I kind of like this 'feature'!)
- Fair share of grammar \ spelling mistakes in quest text.
- Goblins can get stuck on tables \ chairs in the dungeon. (Consequently lowering the difficulty to Super Easy)
- The difficulty is pretty good, although in the dungeon you either have to be very lucky or exploit to win. (So many misses, even though I spent a fair few points on dex)
- On bridges you can walk off the sides. (about a metre or so.)







Engineering Manager at Deloitte Australia

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.