Original Post
Hey Guys, this is my first post on this site...after YEARS of lurking in the shadows. Anyway, I'm a game programmer that has been in the industry for about 3 years. A quick rundown of my experience: - a lil less than 1 year scripting/entry level programming for a ps2 game (contract job only) - 1 year of cell phone dev with j2me (got laid off when company closed bay area office) - my most recent experience is 1 year of a Nintendo DS title (got laid off when company ran out of money) Anyway, since I'm on the job hunt again, I noticed its getting harder to find more "entry" level positions, but the amount of "senior" level positions are amazing! As you can see, I haven't done anything major in my brief time in the industry, and I dont have enough expirence to even qualify as "senior level." Also, most of my jobs (except the ps2 game)I do a lot of work on my own. So, in other words, I don't the to soak up knowledge from a lead programmer. This can be good and bad. Its good since I can learn by doing by myself. It can be bad since I may use or create bad habits. Also, since I'm working on my own, I don't do things much differently than I'm used to (for better or worse) nor get exposed to different types of thinking/problem solving. With that said, I'm asking myself how to "step my game up" or in other words, improve my skill set. I know this is a tough question to ask since you guys have no idea what I can or cant do, but I'm just looking for some general things to focus on improving/learning to really make sure my career takes off. So, I don't need advice on the "basics" of getting into the industry, but becoming a more desirable candidate for bigger and better things. Most of my experience is with 2D graphics, so obviously, in regards to graphics, getting up to speed with OpenGL and DirectX is a must. But, what about the non-graphical part of game programming, like algorithms? Program structure/design? Memory management? Debugging techniques? What types of topics should I start learning about? What types of skills should a person whos been in the industry for a few years be able to show? Any advice is much appreciated. I'm gonna go back to reading this directX book now.