Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[SLIMDX] Device Lost Management

Started by Monza Feb 8, 2010 at 3:20 PM 1 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
Monza
Monza
I've been using SLIMDX in VB.NET for sometime with good success on a CAD / Engineering application. The only thing I'm struggling with is the Device management, particularly detecting, capturing and recovering from Device Lost events (caused by PC screensavers, suspends etc) I currently run a global D3D9 device, with a heap of Try > Catch > End Try routines. It works, but it's ugly and seems to cause memory leaks after reseting / rebuilding the device, and doesn't work on some video cards. The SlimDX game framework in the SDK works OK in the demos, but (no offence to the SlimDX guys) the system seems complex, difficult to pull apart and unsuited for my app (basically load up a heap of fixed pipe geometry objects and force a render when complete) Sorry for the vague question, but any advice on simple steps (or pseudo code) I need to create and manage my Device better?
jpetrie
jpetrie
The framework in the release of SlimDX you're using has been deprecated and removed; the new sample framework (in the current SVN builds) has an example of lost device handling that may be a bit clearer.
Monza
Monza
Yes - the framework is much clearer. Thanks for the pointer. I look forward to the next release.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.