Original Post
Hey, I have made a few test games (using truevision3d, c# .net), one that reached open beta of sort and is now working on an RTS, but I have ran into a problem. I got pathfinding up and running, multi-selecion and movement along the paths but the problem I'm having is getting the units to move out of the way of each other in the simplest and fastest way. Now if two (or more) are colliding while moving they will most of the time get stuck and jamming the road for all others that are following. My current system checks for collisions in front of the unit and they stop and wait for a short time if hitting something, this works rather well when they all are moving in the same direction (even though there might be a lot of static obstacles in the way). When they move towards each other or must cross others path now that’s another story. So how is this done in a good way, have tried to search but haven't found anything good that I actually can use (much on pathfinding and movement of single or small amount of units but not several group at the same time). Some good general rules perhaps that works both when two units crosses each other path and moving a single unit through a big group on units that isn't moving but need to move out of the way of the single unit (or determine if it is faster for the single unit to move around the group perhaps). It’s late and I hope I explain what I need help with.