Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Setting up a 'networked' harddrive

Started by choffstein Feb 23, 2010 at 1:38 PM 2 replies 800+ views
Original Post
choffstein
choffstein
Hey all, I am not very IT savvy, so I was hoping to get the GDNet braintrust to help me out with a problem. I have an old laptop lying around that I wanted to basically use as a machine for distributed computing, nightly cron jobs (source builds, data downloading, parsing, et cetera), as well as act as an on demand access hard-drive. The first two items on my list aren't too hard for me to accomplish (ssh and ruby take care of it) -- but what is a bit more difficult is the second one. I am installing a fresh build of OpenBSD on the system and am wondering how I can set it up to be an accessible drive from any remote windows or mac box (as in, I can mount the foreign laptops drive from anywhere). Currently, the laptop is sitting in my home network, so I was thinking about basically trying to set up some sort of VPN and then just making sure my firewall has the appropriate ports open. Am I looking in the right direction? What sort of issues do I have to worry about (static IP, etc)? Has anyone ever done anything like this? Thanks
tstrimp
tstrimp
To make the server accessible as a windows network drive, I've had a lot of luck with Samba (http://www.samba.org/).

If you want it to make your home computer available via the internet, you'll most likely need some sort of dynamic dns service. I have mine registered through dyndns and I have my router configured to update dyndns every time my external IP changes.
choffstein
choffstein
dyndns looks like it might be the ticket. Thanks for the pointer.
Ravuya
Ravuya
I don't know if Samba includes this, but you should probably look into WebDAV to share a drive over a network; I believe OS X and Windows can directly mount a WebDAV volume as a drive letter.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.