Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[designer question] changable gear

Started by vivendi May 29, 2010 at 4:20 AM 1 replies 600+ views
Original Post
vivendi
vivendi
In some games, and mostly in MMOs you can switch armour parts of your character. I'm wondering how this is done. It's not that i'm creating a MMO or anything. As a designer i'm so curious how they do that. Do they make fully clothed model and when that's finished split the entire model up. So you'd have Head.mesh, Torso.mesh, Arms.mesh and Legs.mesh. So they create a few fully clothed models but with different looks and in game combine those meshes back together? I just don't see how that is done. I mean, you need a base skeleton with all the animation to put it back on, ingame. But wouldn't that create seems between the meshparts? Since they aren't welded together anymore?? Well, what i'm describing probably isn't the way. So i was hoping anyone here could tell me more about this subject. I'm really interested.
Naku
Naku
Yeah, that's pretty much it, each item is a separate mesh, all skinned to the same skeleton. Then your character will be made up from several meshes with the same animation.
Mussi
Mussi
Also you can change textures. In WoW the chest and pants items are done with textures, the other parts are separate meshes that are put on top of/replace the the old mesh.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.