Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Black Holes(????????)

Started by mikeman Aug 22, 2010 at 3:27 AM 104 replies 19.5k views
Original Post
mikeman
mikeman
Ok, with this latest talk about Hawking's ideas and so on, I've been some reading on what has been said about Black Holes. Not that I can understand much or anything of the mathematics of the thing. However, I have understood something about them because the scientists which predicted black holes described it in such simple terms.

Basically, I'm talking about the 'austronaut falling into black hole' example. One description of the many I have found is this, although they all say the same.

Quote:

We assume that the astronaut approaching the black hole can send out signals in various directions, including back to the other astronaut. As the first astronaut approaches the black hole, the first thing the distant astronaut would notice is the redshift in the signals received. The magnitude of the redshift increases as the first astronaut becomes closer to the Schwarzschild radius.

Before the Schwarzschild radius is reached, another effect becomes noticeable. The paths of photons sent out by the first astronaut are not straight lines. They bend. The only direction in which the astronaut can aim a beam and not have it bend is straight up. If the beam is not aimed sufficiently close to the vertical, the bending will be so great that the light will not escape. Only light aimed into a cone about the vertical, called the exit cone, will escape. As the first astronaut moves closer to the Schwarzschild radius, the exit cone becomes smaller. At a distance equal to (3/2)Rs, photons aimed horizontally go into orbit around the black hole. The sphere of orbiting photons is called the photon sphere. If you were to look straight out, along the horizon, you would see the back of your head.

The second astronaut never actually sees the first astronaut reach the Schwarzschild radius. The gravitational time dilation is so great that, as Rs is approached, the second astronaut thinks that it takes the first astronaut an infinite amount of time to reach Rs. The time dilation makes the first astronaut appear to slow down as Rs is approached.

From the point of view of the first astronaut, there is no such respite. The Schwarzschild radius is reached very quickly. If the black hole is of sufficiently small mass, the tidal forces would tear the first astronaut apart. However, if the black hole is massive enough, the tidal forces might be survived and the astronaut crosses Rs. When this happens, we say that the astronaut has crossed the event horizon. If the black hole is massive enough, the astronaut might not notice anything unusual, except that escape is impossible!.


Ok, first of all, I don't understand why the phrase it 'second austronaut never actually sees the first austronaut reach Schwarzschild radius', as it is some kind of optical illusion. For any observer outside this radius, the austronaut or anything else never reaches that radius.

Now, what I can't understand at all is, if that's true, then how black holes are even formed. It is said that a star is starting collapsing and there is nothing that keeps the particles of the star to collapse into a singularity. But that same austronaut example says that there *is* something that prevents the austronaut from falling into the singularity, namely time dilation. If the austronaut, or generally any particle, will never reach Schwarzschild radius, how the particles of the collapsing star reach it and go inside? Does it mean that any observer of the collapse of the star will never observe it to form a black hole? If that's so, then the conclusion is that black holes are never formed! Now, obviously I thought(and still think) I have forgot something. However, I found this link that states the same:

Quote:

The popular story is that in a supernova large amounts of mass can get crushed at the center to form a black hole. Well, general relativity disagrees. Think of a black hole being formed by a certain amount of mass M in the form of a fine dust (debris) collapsing due to gravity. It will become a black hole when all of M falls within a sphere of radius rs = 2GM/c2 as given above. But closer it gets to doing this the greater is the time dilation for the outermost pieces of the debris. The last few pieces that need to fall in to form the black hole will take literally forever (infinite time) to do so. Hence, a star cannot collapse to form a black hole. What it can form is a ball of dust which is close to being a black hole at every spherical layer within it but not quite. In such a star, time dilation is so large for every falling piece of debris that it appears to be "frozen" in time. It can be shown that such a "frozen star" would have a density profile that reduces as the inverse square of distance from the center.

So, the only way the universe can have black holes is if they were there all the time. Of course, this is a conclusion of general relativity which is only a theory and a theory can be wrong. However, if general relativity is wrong and we need to abandon it, we would also have to abandon the definition of black holes that comes from it and there exists no other definition.


I can't imagine a solution to this contradiction. I'm talking with such surprise that I don't understand it, because it's not about the math of the thing, it's what scientists say about the black hole. For every observer outside the black hole, a particle will never fall into it. But, at the same time, a star that we can observe today with the telescope and is more than 2-3 masses, will form a black hole, that is its particles will cross the horizon. I don't see what is the implication. I don't understand the math, but scientiest have categorically stated both that a particle will never cross the horizon for any observer, and that the particles of a collapsing star will cross it and form a black hole. It's not about general relativity or math at all. It's about statements that describe what happens. Those statements seem like they are the exact polar opposites. What the hell am I not seeing here?
owl
owl
I refuse to believe in Black Holes until I see one with my own eyes.

Enda I'm talking about super-massive celestial bodies. Ok?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
mikeman
mikeman
Quote:
Original post by owl
I refuse to believe in Black Holes until I see one with my own eyes.

Enda I'm talking about super-massive celestial bodies. Ok?


But the thing is the very theory says that you can't. I mean, let me get this straight: From what I understand, it predicts that the black hole will be formed infinite time after the star starts collapsing, and when it does you won't be able to see it, because nothing escapes from a black hole. It almost seems to me that everything that is said about black holes make detection impossible because they imply that these things(formation-detection) can happen only when time and other properties reach infinity!

owl
owl
Well, as I see it, that's exactly what makes them bullshit.

Or religion...
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
d000hg
d000hg
Quote:
Original post by owl
Well, as I see it, that's exactly what makes them bullshit.

Or religion...
It's interesting, when I was a teenager interested in science and reading Hawking's book, there were no agreed black-holes, only theories.

If you're going to say you don't believe in BHs because you can't see them, you may as well give up on astrophysics.

owl
owl
Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Quote:
Original post by owl
Well, as I see it, that's exactly what makes them bullshit.

Or religion...
It's interesting, when I was a teenager interested in science and reading Hawking's book, there were no agreed black-holes, only theories.

If you're going to say you don't believe in BHs because you can't see them, you may as well give up on astrophysics.


I already did. At least until I can buy my own interestelar ship.

I still like what I see when I stare up on clear nights though.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
szecs
szecs
Well, I'm in a hangover, and I'm not a physics guru by any means.

But, if something is not a blackhole yet just a neutron star for example, then it doesn't have an event horizon. So things can fall them in a finite time, so it can grow to a blackhole state. The inside can collapse to singularity. So when it becomes a blackhole, and "gets" an event horizon, then it will be that contradictory thing the discussion will be about.

Or not.

Maybe it can be solved with quantum mechanics and probability. maybe the black hole state cannot be reached theoretically (just like the segment halving thing: you'll never reach the other end).

But maybe there's when probability kicks in. Maybe one tiny particle channels inside the neutron star, and suddenly it crosses the line.

Maybe it's the same for the existing event horizon. Nothing can reach it exactly, but maybe some particles can channel through that very thin border. If the particle's distance from the event horizon is smaller, than that probability radius of the particle (I forgot its name).

And since there are tons (millions of tons) of particles crushed on the event horizon, maybe the chance for these random channellings grow, so the black hole can grow further


I like my explanation, but it's just a wild guess.

Diodor
Diodor
Quote:
Original post by owl
Well, as I see it, that's exactly what makes them bullshit.

Or religion...


If I kick your behind real hard, would you be consistent and not believe I did that because you didn't see it?
szecs
szecs
Quote:
Original post by Diodor
Quote:
Original post by owl
Well, as I see it, that's exactly what makes them bullshit.

Or religion...


If I kick your behind real hard, would you be consistent and not believe I did that because you didn't see it?


We shouldn't take this thread to philosophy I think.

anyway, I bet Owl meant "sensing, getting information" when he said "seeing".

owl
owl
Quote:
Original post by Diodor
Quote:
Original post by owl
Well, as I see it, that's exactly what makes them bullshit.

Or religion...


If I kick your behind real hard, would you be consistent and not believe I did that because you didn't see it?


Would you remember that it was me who punched your face after that if nobody told you it was me?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
davepermen
davepermen
i always ment it's just an optical effect as you slow down light massively. you would not see him enter the schwarzschild but he would 'fade out'. i'm thinking about it by doing "photon mapping". the light particles emiting from the falling one will have more and more problems propagating out, resulting in more and more stretching of the wave as it can't really escape. the result, at first, is the redshift.

but it, too, means, the lightwaves have longer to get out at all, resulting in the time slowdown you see. the moment he is very close to the schwarzschild, light will take a very very long time to go from there. what this means is a) very stretched in colour shift, b) very "few photons per second" means he will be rather dark, and c) it will come out much much later than when he passed the schild actually.

the result:

when the astronaut drops, he will get more and more red shifted, more and more deformed due to the gravitation lens affected light, and slower as light takes more time to escape. he, too, will get MORE AND MORE BLACK, as the light gets less light/second due to the captioning of it. he will fade to black, more and more surrounding to the lens effect the whole schwarzschild.

the result: you will never see it enter. you will, though, see him fade. he will enclose the whole schwarzschild, be completely black, massively colour shifted, and actually entered long ago.

the actual entering you can't see, as what ever enters (f.e. his leg) will never let any light come out again. at the schwarzschild radius light would take an infinite time to leave, so just a tiny tiny tiny bit outside of it it can take years to escape (see how long our moon takes to escape the earth.. millions of years). and that makes him look "stuck" around the schild for ever. but so dark, and so stretched, and so colourshiftet, that you won't see him anymore anyways.

till the last lonely photon reflected from him escaped into space and flies away.


it's no singularity, nothing special, nothing at all. basic physics. look at the lights as particles, affected by the gravity of the black hole, and you understand it. if not, program a simulation of it :)
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia
My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud
Kambiz
Kambiz
Quote:
Ok, first of all, I don't understand why the phrase it 'second austronaut never actually sees the first austronaut reach Schwarzschild radius', as it is some kind of optical illusion. For any observer outside this radius, the austronaut or anything else never reaches that radius.


Read about proper time.
Near a black hole time passes differently but of curse only for those observable that are far away. You can move toward a black hole and pass the horizon in finite time. For you the clocks far away from the black hole will go infinitely fast when you reach the black hole horizon, for them your clock stands still. Also, the horizon is not a singular point, one can pass it (in finite amount of proper time). When the black hole is big enough even a human should be able to pass it without taking damage (from the curved space).

Quote:
... Does it mean that any observer of the collapse of the star will never observe it to form a black hole?

No, matter and energy curve the space time, at some critical point a black hole will form. It doesn't start at radius 0 and growth. The horizon just appears at some finite radius. You just need enough mass and energy. Also the black hole creation is just a side effect when a massive star collapses. I don't know what you call a singularity, there is no singularity.
Move enough mass close to gather and a black hole will form (the horizon just appears, they don'T fall into it). There is also no critical density, matter with arbitrary low density can create a black hole but it will be a very huge one.
mikeman
mikeman
Quote:
Original post by Kambiz
Read about proper time.
Near a black hole time passes differently but of curse only for those observable that are far away. You can move toward a black hole and pass the horizon in finite time. For you the clocks far away from the black hole will go infinitely fast when you reach the black hole horizon, for them your clock stands still.


Ok, can we please think about what we're saying for a moment and try to make some sense?

Read what you are saying:

Quote:

For you the clocks far away from the black hole will go infinitely fast when you reach the black hole horizon


Infinitely fast. Explain to me what exactly a digital clock that displays the time passed for some moment that you were outside of the black hole will show. That clock can last for infinite time(and don't tell me I can't use that argument,ok?), and at any given moment it displays a number which shows the years passed. What number would that be?

You are stating the *exact* same thing, only in reverse terms so you can use the phrase 'you can pass the horizon in finite time when...". For the observer far from the hole, the austonaut that is falling will pass the horizon when the austonaut's clock reaches infinity. Which means, never. For the austronaut, he will pass the horizon when the observer's clock reaches infinity. Which, I am daring to guess, will be again, never. How is it surprising that we reach the same conclusion when we just rephrase the situation? It's like saying that an equation y=f(x) which reaches asymptotically to zero, will reach zero in finite y, just when x is infinity. Basically, you are saying that something will happen when a certain condition that is impossible to be satisfied, does. Seriously, it seems I have missed that lesson in Math which explains that something that is impossible to happen, becomes possible when we rephrase the problem. Every time I used the symbol of infinity in Math, it was in the form of limits, so I could calculate some maximums/minimums. In this particular case, the minimum distance from the horizen would be 0. It means it can't equal 0, and certainly it can't be less than 0. If I dared to put infinity inside an equation itself, or divide by 0 to show that the result will be infinity, the teacher would probably fail me in that class that same moment. We use informal language when it comes to physics, by saying "it will reach it in infinite time", which creates the perception that time is something that 'flows' and we can't be sure where it leads us, possibly to infinity. The distance of a particle from a supposed singularity can be given by the function s=f(t). When we say that it reaches asymptotically to zero, we mean there is no t for which s=0. Not that s will be 0 when "something". We can't put a real number in the place of t and get 0. That's it. If you say that something will happen when a variable T equals infinity, then I might as well say that 1+1=4 will happen when 1 equals 2.
Jesper T
Jesper T
I understand mikemans point. A black hole might form but (if we ignore quantum tunneling) the time dilation seems to prevent it from growing from an outside observers perspective.

However we must not forget that an object falling into the black hole also has its own gravity, which will bend the Schwarzschild radius of the black hole out towards itself.
mikeman
mikeman
Quote:
Original post by Jesper T
However we must not forget that an object falling into the black hole also has its own gravity, which will bend the Schwarzschild radius of the black hole out towards itself.


Eh, we didn't forget it. That austronaut example explains what will happen given the curvature of space time around the 'singularity'. It does not state what will happen when we take into consideration only the singularities curvature of space-time(does that make sense? No, because Einstein was talking about the whole state of a system, he didn't have one body in this place, the other in the next, and space-time in the third. The solution describes them as connected entities).

Also, I really would want to know in what exactly timeframe 'quantum tunelling':

1)Works only one way. It can allow a particle to go beyond the limits of GR and get inside the horizon, but it can't allow the same particle inside the horizon to exit it. I know about Hawking's Radiation, but all I could find is that what happens is a virtual particle(carrier of one of 4 elementary forces in quantum language) becomes a 'real' particle due to the very strong gravitional field, and exists for enough time to exit the horizon as a real particle. When quantum theory says about virtual particles that can't happen. The whole reasoning that these quantum effects can only be detected in 'quantum world' is because they are so short and 'small', that they can't manifest themselves in anything significantly away from that level. And by that they mean molecules are already in a pretty safe distance. And yet 'quantum tunelling' allows the entire mass of a star to get inside the horizon, particle-by-particle. I keep hearing Hawking, whenever faced which such a question, he will mention something like uncertainty and everyone will be content that he proved it can happen in sub-atomic levels for very short time, because that means that it will have a massive effect in a Star. It really seems to me that the whole attempt to 'unify' GR and quantum physics doesn't actually change any of the concepts, models or predictions of either, they keep them completely intact and try to imagine some way when those will somehow 'meet'. Even if it's in another universe. I suspect that the value of the 'strong' gravitional field sufficient to 'boost' virtual particles is, well...yeah.

[Edited by - mikeman on August 22, 2010 7:03:51 AM]
Diodor
Diodor
Quote:
Original post by szecs
Quote:
Original post by Diodor
Quote:
Original post by owl
Well, as I see it, that's exactly what makes them bullshit.

Or religion...


If I kick your behind real hard, would you be consistent and not believe I did that because you didn't see it?


We shouldn't take this thread to philosophy I think.

anyway, I bet Owl meant "sensing, getting information" when he said "seeing".
You can't see black holes by definition but obviously you can see what massive objects like them do to surrounding objects. [1]
Jesper T
Jesper T
What I mean is that the Schwarzschild radius does not actually describe a static sphere whenever another object is nearby. So an outside observer might not ever see any object fall into a black hole but he might see the event horizon change its shape so that the object is swallowed anyway (the Schwarzschild radius is not a physical object so it can change FTL just like a bright spot from a laser can move from point to point FLT).
irreversible
irreversible
>> You can't see black holes by definition <<

Like++
mikeman
mikeman
Quote:
Original post by Diodor
You can't see black holes by definition but obviously you can see what massive objects like them do to surrounding objects.


So basically we can't detect any evidence that would indicate the presence of singularity and event horizon, but we can see the effects their gravitional field has, which would be exactly the same for a body of same mass and with size anything slightly larger than the event horizon. Perhaps that form of matter which due to time dilation basically stops before reaching the horizon and continues to make sense as a physical object. But that is less likely than black holes, because it doesn't need infinity, quantum tunelling and baby universes to exist. Black holes are so interesting because they lead to all that grand shifts in the universe which we cannot detect, only infer from effects already explained without them. That other thing, if we suppose that the star will indeed collapse to the possible minimum space due to gravity, is just a lot of particles cramped in a small but measurable space. What good is that.

I mean, let's reach an agreement. Say you propose the whole star mass is *inside* the event horizon. I say it's infinitemesly outside the boundary. The only one that will be able to say the difference is an austronaut that falls towards it when our clocks reach infinity. So I will not ask if black holes exist, I will ask: In what way are they relevant to anything? They describe things we will never detect even if we are true immortals. Basically that non-singularity formation, if it exists, is for all intents and purposes, almost identical to a black hole. Still, very large mass in very small space, with the difference that the values are very small but real. But we want the mass the get *inside* the horizon and parameters reaching fantastical values because we want to talk about inter-universe travel.

[Edited by - mikeman on August 22, 2010 7:27:58 AM]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.