Original Post
Hi,
I feel that my question is stupid, but I have to ask it, so please excuse me =)
I'm working on a 3D game, it wont be done tomorrow, nor in one year, but I hope it will be done one day.
The amount of code I wrote that is related to the game is almost 0, most of the code are common components like, entity system, scripting system, resource handlers and etc.
Now working on a big 3D game alone can be exhausting, and of course I plan to find up more members that will help me, but to find them I need something that I can show, even gray boxes, which I don't have yet.
So sometimes I do want to feel that I accomplished something, and this why I like developing small 2D games like tower defense and etc. Those kind of games can be done in month (more or less) without working 24/7 on the game, and without hiring modelers/compositors.
So this brings me to my question: I don't want to write the same code over and over for my 2D games, hence I try to collect to to some reusable parts (call it engine if you wish). On the other side this code most likely wont help my main project which is a 3D game I dream to make. So my question: could those parts be shared between the games? Can Entity system for example be used both in 2D and 3D games? I mean only the renderer is different (not too much).
Ill appreciate any kind of help, and thanks to anyone who cared to read this!
skwee
I feel that my question is stupid, but I have to ask it, so please excuse me =)
I'm working on a 3D game, it wont be done tomorrow, nor in one year, but I hope it will be done one day.
The amount of code I wrote that is related to the game is almost 0, most of the code are common components like, entity system, scripting system, resource handlers and etc.
Now working on a big 3D game alone can be exhausting, and of course I plan to find up more members that will help me, but to find them I need something that I can show, even gray boxes, which I don't have yet.
So sometimes I do want to feel that I accomplished something, and this why I like developing small 2D games like tower defense and etc. Those kind of games can be done in month (more or less) without working 24/7 on the game, and without hiring modelers/compositors.
So this brings me to my question: I don't want to write the same code over and over for my 2D games, hence I try to collect to to some reusable parts (call it engine if you wish). On the other side this code most likely wont help my main project which is a 3D game I dream to make. So my question: could those parts be shared between the games? Can Entity system for example be used both in 2D and 3D games? I mean only the renderer is different (not too much).
Ill appreciate any kind of help, and thanks to anyone who cared to read this!
skwee