Original Post
Hi,
I'm just starting work on a new game project, my first with DirectX 11. I notice some of the samples use straight DirextX code and others use DXUT as a framework.
So here are a few questions that hopefully you can help answer so I know which direction to go:
1. What do most of you use, DXUT or straight DirextX code?
2. Can you happily mix the code? For example, don't use the DXUT framework but still use DXUT utility functions if you need them?
3. Many years ago I wrote a game in DirextX 5 (I think), however the DirextX 5 code no longer works (Unsurprisingly). I would have liked to have updated my code to use DirextX 11, but the game code and the DirextX 5 were so tightly knitted together that it looked like a massive job. To avoid the same problem this time I want to abstract the graphics code away from the engine code... so in theory I could create a DX11 render, a DX9 renderer, maybe even an OpenGL renderer and in the future maybe a DX14 renderer!
The problem with DXUT is that its more than just a graphics layer, its a compelte framework. It handles keyboard and mouse input, MsgProc's etc. This makes it difficult for me to abstract the graphics code away from the input handling and general engine code. What are peoples thoughts on this?
4. I've looked through the DirectX SDK (June 2010) documentation and it appears that only DXUT is documented and DXUT11 is mentioned but not fully documented. Has anyone else noticed this?
Thanks
Ben
I'm just starting work on a new game project, my first with DirectX 11. I notice some of the samples use straight DirextX code and others use DXUT as a framework.
So here are a few questions that hopefully you can help answer so I know which direction to go:
1. What do most of you use, DXUT or straight DirextX code?
2. Can you happily mix the code? For example, don't use the DXUT framework but still use DXUT utility functions if you need them?
3. Many years ago I wrote a game in DirextX 5 (I think), however the DirextX 5 code no longer works (Unsurprisingly). I would have liked to have updated my code to use DirextX 11, but the game code and the DirextX 5 were so tightly knitted together that it looked like a massive job. To avoid the same problem this time I want to abstract the graphics code away from the engine code... so in theory I could create a DX11 render, a DX9 renderer, maybe even an OpenGL renderer and in the future maybe a DX14 renderer!
The problem with DXUT is that its more than just a graphics layer, its a compelte framework. It handles keyboard and mouse input, MsgProc's etc. This makes it difficult for me to abstract the graphics code away from the input handling and general engine code. What are peoples thoughts on this?
4. I've looked through the DirectX SDK (June 2010) documentation and it appears that only DXUT is documented and DXUT11 is mentioned but not fully documented. Has anyone else noticed this?
Thanks
Ben