Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Quadruple Precision Floating-Point Library

Started by coder0xff Sep 4, 2010 at 8:31 PM 3 replies 4.4k views
Original Post
coder0xff
coder0xff
I've written emulation for quadruple precision floats (IEEE-754-2008 binary128) in C++ and inline assembler, with a managed wrapper (for .Net languages). I understand the usefulness for this is very narrow, but wanted to share it anyway.

The reason I made this (for my own use) is that it has enough precision to represent each micrometer of the width of our observable universe. I've also included Log, Ln, Exp, Pow, Sin, Cos, Tan, ASin, ACos, ATan, ATan2, Ceiling, Floor, Round, Truncate, and Fraction. It also has Pi and E to full quadruple precision.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/qpfloat/
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Im not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
taby
taby
This is excellent. I'm always looking for large precision libraries to try out.

I kid you not... the project I'm working on involves a 3-sphere of radius 1e25 metres. I'm sure you can guess what that would be. ;)
coder0xff
coder0xff
New 0.5b version on SourceForge, including bug fixes, and new Min and Max functions. Pretty near to calling it stable.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and Im not sure about the universe. -- Albert Einstein
alvaro
alvaro

This is excellent. I'm always looking for large precision libraries to try out.

I kid you not... the project I'm working on involves a 3-sphere of radius 1e25 metres. I'm sure you can guess what that would be. ;)


Hmmm... I don't know... one tenth of the observable universe?
Emergent
Emergent

I kid you not... the project I'm working on involves a 3-sphere of radius 1e25 metres. I'm sure you can guess what that would be. ;)


It's an elaborate yo momma joke.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.