Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is it possible to enable Visual Studio C/C++ to run programs in interpreter mode?

Started by tom_mai78101 Dec 18, 2010 at 8:39 AM 4 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
tom_mai78101
tom_mai78101
Not specifying any version of Visual Studio, I'm wondering how do you enable interpreter mode in C/C++?

I would like to run my codes and look at how my program executes without the need to recompile over and over just to see the tiny changes I did to my program.

More specifically, I'm looking to save my time on the compiling time.

Thank you.
dave
dave
There is no such mode because C and C++ are compiled languages.
Metsan
Metsan
The closest thing to a C/C++ interpreter I know of is Ch. I have never tried it, though.
implicit
implicit
If you've using Visual Studio then try enabling Edit and Continue.
It's rather limited, and Microsoft seem intent on crippling their debugging features lately, but in many cases it can be a real time-saver.
tom_mai78101
tom_mai78101
Quote:
Original post by Metsan
The closest thing to a C/C++ interpreter I know of is Ch. I have never tried it, though.


Unfortunately, it's not for graphics and gaming purposes. :(

If people were to look at this: (Creator of MineCraft, Notch's Ludum Dare livestream)

http://tinyurl.com/2djcx5k

They would see a lot of things Java can do to a game...

That really hits me hard...in my C++.



yaustar
yaustar
I usually have a group of variables that define behaviour (for example hit points, range, etc). Normally these would be constants but I use a macro that only defines these variables const in release mode. ie:

#ifdef RELEASE#define STATIC_CONST static const#else#define STATIC_CONST static#end// usageSTATIC_CONST int PIXELS_PER_FRAME = 10;


That way, when in debug mode I can break into the debugger and change the values until I get the result I want without having to recompile. I then replace the values in code.
Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.