Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

DirectAudio weird behavior

Started by Thrawn80 Jan 5, 2011 at 9:32 AM 1 replies 500+ views
Original Post
Thrawn80
Thrawn80
Dear all,

I've been stumped by what I've discovered. For some reasons, if I load up all my 3D audio and set their channels and properties.

And if I do not play ANYONE of them at the beginning when the game starts. My game will lag horribly.

This didn't occur in my previous laptop which has supposedly an older hardware. I'm still using Realtek here as my new laptop does...

I'm not sure if Windows 7 has anything to do with it since I was previously developing it on Windows XP.

Just wondering if there're anyone out there who has similar experiences.

As for mine, I dare say that it's due to the audio. Not the collision detection, particle manager, etc etc etc... I'm very very sure about that.

Therefore, I hope to seek the community's insights on this matter. Any help or criticisms will VERY MUCH be appreciated.

Thanks,
thrawn80
You'll never see heaven if you haven't been through hell.
Aardvajk
Aardvajk
No solution for you but just so you know you're not going nuts, I've observed a similar problem with DirectSound in my game - until I actually play a sound, there is a similar horrible lag.

Doesn't really matter in the finished game as a sound will always be played right at the start. For now I'm just making a ping noise at the start of the level.

Weird. Computers, eh?
Thrawn80
Thrawn80
Dear Aardvajk,

Thanks for your reply!! It does calm my nerves quite a bit knowing that I'm not alone...

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen in the past when I was running on older hardware because back then there were 3D sounds loaded still but weren't played because the game starts in "peace mode" for 30 seconds.

Back then, such lag wasn't observed....

Another thing I've observed is that - when I put on my headphones for my new laptop and I play a MP3 from silence, I'll hear a short burst of white noise before hearing the music.

In the past, that wasn't the case either...

Anyway, thanks again for your reply!

Regards,
thrawn80
You'll never see heaven if you haven't been through hell.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.