Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[web] Php Orm Libraries

Started by EvilSpaceHamster Jan 9, 2011 at 7:35 PM 2 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
EvilSpaceHamster
EvilSpaceHamster
Hey guys, I'm currently creating an online trading game with an MVC architecture.

Although I'm a professional Web Dev, almost all of my web apps have used raw MySQL connections and queries, for this game I would like that to change. I would like to use a database agnostic ORM library in order to extract an independent framework for mainly my own projects, but also for a bunch of developer friends. My question here is simple; has anyone looking at this topic used any of the well known PHP ORM libraries (preferably with DB abstraction) and with that knowledge make a suggestion. For the inevitable (and valid!) "what have you tried?" question, I have experience of phpActiveRecord and the built in DB stuff in cakePHP and codeIgniter, also the DBAL: ADOdb.

Thanks in advance.

EvilSpaceHamster
cagecrawler
cagecrawler
I've worked with Doctrine in the past and really liked it. It integrates well with other frameworks (I used Zend Framework so this was important) and seems to have all the features I needed without being too bloated. Especially useful is all the command line stuff which made it easy to automate all the database stuff (updating, backing up etc.

They've just released 2.0 stable which runs on PHP5.3+. I've yet to try this since I'm still working with PHP5.2 (which they still support with their version 1.2) but it's supposed to be a lot tidier and easier to use.
Sander
Sander
Doctrine 2 is great, but be aware that it's a completely different beast than Doctrine 1. If you prefer something simpler, have a look at RedBeanPHP.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.