Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Adding animation to a game engine.

Started by Wrongfire Jul 13, 2011 at 9:26 PM 2 replies 900+ views
Original Post
Wrongfire
Wrongfire
Hello, I am the 3d modeler for a game called Outsider. We have decided to insert animations into the engine..
We want support for both key frame and skeletal animations.

The question I have is what file formats work for this, and how can I export my 3ds max files into these formats.

Id appreciate any help!
smasherprog
smasherprog
Check out http://assimp.sourceforge.net/index.html for loading models
Wisdom is knowing when to shut up, so try it.
--Game Development http://nolimitsdesigns.com: Reliable UDP library, Threading library, Math Library, UI Library. Take a look, its all free.
Wrongfire
Wrongfire
Is MD5 a good format for animations of all types?
Thanks for the link!
smasherprog
smasherprog
I honestly dont know, the reason I dont know is because if you are writing a game engine you will only load from a 3d model format, then save it to your own format in binary form. You will not be using a file format like 3ds or md5, or fbx for normal loading of your models -- it is simply too slow. Using ASSIMP in the link I provided, you can load more model types that you know what to do with. After you load them into your engine, you should convert the loaded information into your format and save it in binary format for fast loading.
Wisdom is knowing when to shut up, so try it.
--Game Development http://nolimitsdesigns.com: Reliable UDP library, Threading library, Math Library, UI Library. Take a look, its all free.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.