Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Objective C book

Started by Holland Jul 21, 2011 at 10:52 PM 1 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
Holland
Holland
Looking for recommendations on books (physical, actual books...not web sites please) that are based around Objective C programming for the already experience C/C++/C# programmer. All of the books I've found on Amazon are for people who have never programmed before. I have programmed for a number of years, in the gaming industry. I just want a nice book to use as reference and to get me started with Objective C goodness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
blewisjr
blewisjr

Looking for recommendations on books (physical, actual books...not web sites please) that are based around Objective C programming for the already experience C/C++/C# programmer. All of the books I've found on Amazon are for people who have never programmed before. I have programmed for a number of years, in the gaming industry. I just want a nice book to use as reference and to get me started with Objective C goodness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!


You are going to need a bit more then a reference. Objective-C is a few worlds apart from the other languages you know because it revolves around Apples Cocoa framework which is what actually makes objective-c useful. I would recommend the Hillegass book from this link. http://www.amazon.com/Cocoa-Programming-Mac-OS-3rd/dp/0321503619. This is not what I would consider a noob book it is organized in such a way that you can skip or just quick review certain earlier sections. For instance you can skip or skim the first section on pure C and move right to the objective C portion and then right into the Cocoa portion. This is the best book on the market by far and Objective-C/Cocoa are so wacked that this book will make sense of it.
Holland
Holland
Awesome...thanks. I've also heard of others referring to this book so it seems to have a reputation of sorts.

[quote name='Holland' timestamp='1311288777' post='4838687']
Looking for recommendations on books (physical, actual books...not web sites please) that are based around Objective C programming for the already experience C/C++/C# programmer. All of the books I've found on Amazon are for people who have never programmed before. I have programmed for a number of years, in the gaming industry. I just want a nice book to use as reference and to get me started with Objective C goodness.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!


You are going to need a bit more then a reference. Objective-C is a few worlds apart from the other languages you know because it revolves around Apples Cocoa framework which is what actually makes objective-c useful. I would recommend the Hillegass book from this link. http://www.amazon.co...d/dp/0321503619. This is not what I would consider a noob book it is organized in such a way that you can skip or just quick review certain earlier sections. For instance you can skip or skim the first section on pure C and move right to the objective C portion and then right into the Cocoa portion. This is the best book on the market by far and Objective-C/Cocoa are so wacked that this book will make sense of it.
[/quote]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.