Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Stanford AI Class this Semester for Free

Started by Tsuki no Hikari Aug 5, 2011 at 7:59 PM 23 replies 13.9k views
snuderl
snuderl
signed upwink.gif
calculemus1988
calculemus1988
I signed up too.

Is this the first online class of this sort? Sounded almost unbelievable when I read this.
px
px
Sounds cool. Thanks for the heads-up.
Humble people don't refer to themselves as humble (W.R.T. "IMHO".)
calculemus1988
calculemus1988
There are two more courses guys, machine learning and databases Will sign up for both, it will be crazy, since I will study for my college too. But it will be worth it I think, will put those stuff later in my CV.
XXChester
XXChester
Thanks for this. I signed up but unfortuantely I would've loved to take the advanced class but I do not believe I will be able to devote the time required with how swamped I am at work and will be for the rest of the year. Oh well, the basic course should still be really good.

Thanks again.
absinthfee
absinthfee
Thanks a lot for this.

Seems like a hell a lot of fun to learn many different things in this department. Plus the professors seem quite excited about this themselves.

Anyway would be cool to know if we will are still able to change from basic to advanced.

Avinash_m
Avinash_m
awesome sounds cool...joined
FrankyRP
FrankyRP
[font="Arial, Helvetica,"][font="inherit"][font="inherit"][font="inherit"]Reference from MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW email correspondence). Thanks to Thomas Ho for the links.[/font][/font][/font]

[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica,"]..... [/font]


[font="Arial, Helvetica,"][font="inherit"][font="inherit"][font="inherit"]If you are taking the Stanford Artificial Intelligence course, OCW has some great resources to supplement your study. If taking a structured course is more of a commitment than you are ready for, these courses are great opportunity to explore the field:

* Artificial Intelligence

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008688/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-034-artificial-intelligence-fall-2010/ )

* Techniques in Artificial Intelligence

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008689/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-825-techniques-in-artificial-intelligence-sma-5504-fall-2002/ )

* Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008690/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-001-structure-and-interpretation-of-computer-programs-spring-2005/index.htm )

* Fundamentals of Probability

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008691/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-436j-fundamentals-of-probability-fall-2008/ )

* Machine Vision

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008692/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-801-machine-vision-fall-2004/ )

* The Human Intelligence Enterprise

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008694/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-803-the-human-intelligence-enterprise-spring-2006/ )

* Machine Learning

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008695/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-867-machine-learning-fall-2006/ )

* Knowledge-Based Applications Systems

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008696/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-871-knowledge-based-applications-systems-spring-2005/index.htm )

* Advanced Natural Language Processing

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008698/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-864-advanced-natural-language-processing-fall-2005/ )

* Linear Algebra

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008699/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/ )

* Design of Electromechanical Robotic Systems

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008700/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-017j-design-of-electromechanical-robotic-systems-fall-2009/)

* Introduction to Robotics

(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008701/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mechanical-engineering/2-12-introduction-to-robotics-fall-2005/ )

ESD.86 Models, Data and Inference for Socio-Technical Systems
(http://e2ma.net/go/10659483669/3862306/109008702/12960/goto:http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/engineering-systems-division/esd-86-models-data-and-inference-for-socio-technical-systems-spring-2007/ )


....
I hope this is useful.[/font][/font][/font]





[/font]
AlanSmithee
AlanSmithee
I signed up to both this and the two other courses.


I study programming at a uni in sweden, but being able to take part in this feels like a real treat.
You know the teacher is good when he have written the course literature

I think it is great that more schools/universities offer their education in alternative forms.
There are so many people (including me) that have signed up for these courses that would othervise never be able to do something like this!

like! =)
Telcontar
Telcontar
Very cool, I made it just before the thing started. Looking forward to this.
I Create Games to Help Tell Stories
IADaveMark
IADaveMark
Since the class has started and registration is closed, I'm unpinning this topic.
Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit<
SeraphLance
SeraphLance
Just to let you guys know, registration is not closed quite yet.
Damnation
Damnation
i'm absolutely loving the class so far, i've found it very helpful to follow the videos along with the AI:AMA book.
Everyone can learn from their mistakes, its the genius's who learn from the mistakes of others.
mrbastard
mrbastard
Me too. A few of the questions are framed badly and don't give you all the necessary information, but I guess if I can spot that I must be learning something laugh.gif

So far it's been pitched just right for me - lots of "uh-huh" and "ah, I see. Awesome!" moments, and very few "what the hell did he just say?"

When I first looked at the syllabus and exercises for the real Stanford class, I was a bit worried about implementing A* as the first week's homework. After doing the online homework, I'm a little disappointed and very tempted to do the Stanford pacman homework as well. Which just goes to show how well paced the course is so far, I guess!

I don't know much about AI, and it's been interesting to compare a modern Stanford(ish) "Intro to AI" course to the "Intro to AI and KBS" I did many years ago in my time at (a lesser) university.
[size="1"]
boogyman19946
boogyman19946
For me the course is running pretty great I remember trying to implement a pathfinding algorithm in my sidescroller and having a hard time with it. I wish I had taken this class before having attempted it, as it would've made things magnificently easier. But oh well, at least I won't have as much trouble now XD

Great course I think. I hope it can only get better!
Yo dawg, don't even trip.
calculemus1988
calculemus1988
I am really happy about how things go so far. They concentrate on the good stuff so far and don't waste time on things like history and bla bla. That was just given as suggested reading. Also Peter's explanations about Uniform vs A* search was amazing.

The cool thing was I finished the book AI Game Programming by Example right before I started the course. I finished it in the sense, I did all the code too. It made it much easier for me being in this course now. When they talk about agents, I am not like woooo what is that woow, my goood, you know ... I have already done that and I feel comfortable instead of going nuts about it. That experience allows me now to concentrate on the real stuff in the course.
XXChester
XXChester
Can anyone explain how the A* homework question about the hueristic is "yes"? I said it isn't because although the pieces surronding the goal are correct, there is no way the values set on the rest of the board are guesses to the goal.

Other than that the course and homework is going very well.
XXChester
XXChester

Can anyone explain how the A* homework question about the hueristic is "yes"? I said it isn't because although the pieces surronding the goal are correct, there is no way the values set on the rest of the board are guesses to the goal.

Other than that the course and homework is going very well.



Bah nevermind I figured it out looking back through my notes for the 100th time. The hueristic is admissiable as long as it doesn't over estimate.
FrankyRP
FrankyRP
Some great lectures notes:
Lecture #01: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tF3TJ98uysJHKasFjBidBolhQBNLhz9H0sx28D6Fku0/edit?hl=en_US
Lecture #02: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eH5ZqtpOpVsURqelWEydTesFKInqXJVXLQElMUGElPA/edit?hl=en_US

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.