Original Post
Hello everybody.
I have an idea for an iOS game that i believe has great potential for success. All my life I've been an avid video-gamer, and as i've gotten older and had less time for console and PC gaming, Cellphone games have filled that entertainment void for me. I have constructed a blueprint for what i think will be a very addicting, user friendly iphone game.
I currently plan to outsource the actual development of the game, since i lack the programming knowledge to create my idea. I am aware that i will need to pay someone to design the levels and sprites, as well as a sound engineer for the music and FX, and most importantly, someone to program the game mechanics. The game is a simulation game with RPG elements (Stat building, level requirements.)
I'd like to consult with someone to get some cost projections for such a project. The game is fairly small in scale, however I know that development costs may not necessarily correspond directly to the size or complexity of the game. The game i have outlined would have;
-2 dimensional, cartoonish graphics. Something fairly rudimentary. The animations would be simple. (think final fantasy IV, perhaps a LITTLE bit more detailed.)
-Is decision based. You do not assume control of the characters movements, but rather choose to have your character engage in certain activities which yield stat increases in different skill categories. As the character's skills level up more activities become available.
-10 to 15 different levels.
-A couple of NPC's who will have scripts and set routines. No AI necessary.
For instance I need to know if the game mechanics i've described sound difficult to program. As i was mapping my idea out, i did what intuitively to me seemed like things that would be easier to program, however i do not know if these things actually are. Is such an idea possible to produce for under 20k? For under 15k?
Also, i realize that i need an effective way to convey my ideas to a programmer. is simply describing them in a text document sufficient? or should i use some sort of program that lays out the steps and processes in a more visual way?
I dont know if ive given you guys enough to go on here, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-Alan
I have an idea for an iOS game that i believe has great potential for success. All my life I've been an avid video-gamer, and as i've gotten older and had less time for console and PC gaming, Cellphone games have filled that entertainment void for me. I have constructed a blueprint for what i think will be a very addicting, user friendly iphone game.
I currently plan to outsource the actual development of the game, since i lack the programming knowledge to create my idea. I am aware that i will need to pay someone to design the levels and sprites, as well as a sound engineer for the music and FX, and most importantly, someone to program the game mechanics. The game is a simulation game with RPG elements (Stat building, level requirements.)
I'd like to consult with someone to get some cost projections for such a project. The game is fairly small in scale, however I know that development costs may not necessarily correspond directly to the size or complexity of the game. The game i have outlined would have;
-2 dimensional, cartoonish graphics. Something fairly rudimentary. The animations would be simple. (think final fantasy IV, perhaps a LITTLE bit more detailed.)
-Is decision based. You do not assume control of the characters movements, but rather choose to have your character engage in certain activities which yield stat increases in different skill categories. As the character's skills level up more activities become available.
-10 to 15 different levels.
-A couple of NPC's who will have scripts and set routines. No AI necessary.
For instance I need to know if the game mechanics i've described sound difficult to program. As i was mapping my idea out, i did what intuitively to me seemed like things that would be easier to program, however i do not know if these things actually are. Is such an idea possible to produce for under 20k? For under 15k?
Also, i realize that i need an effective way to convey my ideas to a programmer. is simply describing them in a text document sufficient? or should i use some sort of program that lays out the steps and processes in a more visual way?
I dont know if ive given you guys enough to go on here, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
-Alan