Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

autodesk free software

Started by commoname Aug 15, 2011 at 8:43 AM 6 replies 2.6k views
Original Post
commoname
commoname
autodesk is awesome, they just launched a new program for students to download full versions of their software for learning purposes, and as I was reading this information I was downloading a autodesk torrent LOL. Deleted and did it the legit way. It's easy, just create a login for autodesk. I'm teaching myself 3D modeling which fits into my level design. software like this is needed and I am greatful for companies like autodesk that offer people who cannot afford college or $4,000 worth of software to learn something.
mind in a box
mind in a box
It's called PLE editon right?

Autodesk gives them away for quite a long time now, nothing new.

Also you shouldn't say that you were downloading something illegal on a public board... But nice that you did it the legal way afterwards
Ben Apuna
Ben Apuna
Yeah Autodesk has been doing this for a while now.

Not PLE anymore, full non-commercial licenses for students for pretty much any software they have to offer.

Autodesk Student Download Center

EDIT:

I forgot to mention in case you didn't know about it. Microsoft also has a similar program called DreamSpark for their software.

Microsoft DreamSpark
Runicode
Runicode

Yeah Autodesk has been doing this for a while now.

Not PLE anymore, full non-commercial licenses for students for pretty much any software they have to offer.

Autodesk Student Download Center

EDIT:

I forgot to mention in case you didn't know about it. Microsoft also has a similar program called DreamSpark for their software.

Microsoft DreamSpark


This is great! A couple of questions though, I had their PLE version a few years back and it placed a water mark on everything you produced. Is this still the case? Is this more of a timed trial version?
supermaximo93
supermaximo93

This is great! A couple of questions though, I had their PLE version a few years back and it placed a water mark on everything you produced. Is this still the case? Is this more of a timed trial version?

No, I don't think so (I haven't seen any watermarks when I've used it, but then again I do more OBJ exporting than actual rendering). And it's not a timed trial either. The only limitation as far as I know is that the licence doesn't permit commercial use of anything created with it.


unholyx
unholyx
Is autodesk solely used for 3d modeling?

If so, which would be better, blender or autodesk? I've heard great things about both.

Or should I just stick to using an engine for 3d modeling? Currently looking at Esenthel engine (if it offers 3d modeling idk).


Serapth
Serapth
The key thing here is, non commercial.



Autodesk is making fully capable versions of all three major programs ( and a few others like Mudbox I believe ) available completely free of charge and without limitation in funcitonal ability, to valid students.

EXCEPT, non commercial.


Meaning you can't make money. At all, period. This even means publishing your work to a site you make money from banner ads on. Just a thing you need to be careful of.



Other than that one limitation, it's an amazing offer and from my humble opinion, is lonnnnnnnnnnng overdue.
frob
frob

The key thing here is, non commercial.

Meaning you can't make money. At all, period.


Actually, their definition is more strict than that.

Student Versions of the Software may not be used for commercial, professional or other for-profit purposes and may only be used by persons who qualify as a permitted user of Student Versions[/quote]

That means you may not place your content online for anything other than showing off your portfolio of student learning. You cannot place the models you made with it online, for any purpose other than showing off your personal portfolio of student work.



If you have your hobby game project and you put models on the Internet, you are breaking the license.

The moment you combine it into a game and put that game online, you MUST have the full licensed product.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.