Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

What is this?

Started by sprite_hound Oct 20, 2011 at 7:30 AM 10 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
sprite_hound
sprite_hound
From a BBC article about the viasat-1 satellite:

[attachment=5806:viasat-1.png]


I've seen it before in pictures of satellites, but what actually are all those spiky blocks, and what do they do?
irreversible
irreversible
Amagad, that looks like a very crude version of the black hole drive that will open up the gates of hell!

Image_11.png


That or a really big drum kit.
0x3a
0x3a
They are sound insulating, it removes any vibrations from the air. Basically it removes vibrations from the air. Most likely the case for their sensitive measuring tools.
If I've helped you in any way please push the reputation button, thanks!

Abstraction is my choice of words.
Portfolio: http://www.0x3a.com/
Blog: http://blog.0x3a.com/
monkey8751
monkey8751
Pretty sure that's a time machine.
GameCreator
GameCreator
An advanced Rube Goldberg iron maiden.
alnite
alnite
Well, you know, if you stepped wrong, you would lose one life. And pretty much have to start over from the outside of the building.
Madhed
Madhed
definetely drumkit
Lode
Lode
Either an ancient Mayan artefact, or, an overgrown drum set.
freeworld
freeworld

I've seen it before in pictures of satellites, but what actually are all those spiky blocks, and what do they do?
[/quote]

Sound proofing... every sound recording studio I've been in is covered in it. It stop sound waves from bouncing back off the wall. Though they may be using it to stop different kinds of waves... I'm sure it's for the same effect, to stop cancellation effect of doubling waves.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.