Original Post
EDIT: Hm, this was going to start out as a discussion about Dart, which would have been relevant to this forum, then turned into a bit of a rant about Google development across the board. Sorry I think it ended up not being appropriate to this forum and should probably be relocated, my bad.
I was wondering if anyone out there has given a look at Google dart?
It's their proposed replacement to Javascript ( although they wont formally admit that ), and it straddles the line between dynamic and static languages and had some very interesting concepts. I played around a bit with the online tool then decided to give it a shot.
Fast forward 4 hours later and I am still no further ahead. Simply put, I am really starting to hate Google. The seed was planted when I was working on that hateful platform Android and got to work with their half baked tools, and this experience was right up that alley. First off, you have to build the damned thing yourself, no precompiled binaries, because I guess the geniuses at Google find that offensive to their sensibilities. Oh, but instead of downloading the code via SVN, GIT or CVS, or better yet a simple zip, nooooooooo.... you have to download Google's build tool they made for Chromium and use it. Lovely. So I run this black box and joy of joys, it fails. Oh look, there is a bug report on that from 2 weeks ago.
At this point I said screw it.
This was after recently creating a tutorial for getting PlayN up and running, a process that would make Rube Goldberg proud. I followed that by attempting to deploy a PlayN game to Google App Engine, which quite simply DOES NOT WORK, but my god the process, the process made me want to cry tears of blood.
Seriously, I have worked in corporate IT, with companies like UGS/EDS and IBM that get paid by the hour and it shows in the way they do things... and even their process is streamlined compared to Google. On top of that, support is completely lacking... look in the PlayN forum at the unanswered questions... now do the same in Android development ( oh my god, the scars from working with Android! ), or even go to products like Adsense. If the answer isn't in a wiki somewhere, you are screwed. If the answer is in a Wiki, I guarantee it will have 19 steps, and 2 of them are wrong.
Seriously, Google really needs to grow up and act like a big company soon. That means not hiding behind the word 'beta' and actually creating polished and supported products. That means releasing 'good' documentation, creating proper installers, hiring people to actually answer questions asked in your forums and all the other thing every single other big corporation does. Yes, it's a bit having to hire people and pay for support, but guess what, that's all part of growing up. Until then, you are going to continue to be a one trick pony.
I mean seriously, some time contrast Google vs Microsoft developer support, it's appalling how incredibly terrible Google is. Hell, contrast the process of deploying to App Engine, with the process of deploying to Amazon or Azure. In the case of Google products, its like you are dealing with "Steve the IT guy" 's hacked together perl build process from 1992. Amateur hour at a multi-billion dollar company.
I was wondering if anyone out there has given a look at Google dart?
It's their proposed replacement to Javascript ( although they wont formally admit that ), and it straddles the line between dynamic and static languages and had some very interesting concepts. I played around a bit with the online tool then decided to give it a shot.
Fast forward 4 hours later and I am still no further ahead. Simply put, I am really starting to hate Google. The seed was planted when I was working on that hateful platform Android and got to work with their half baked tools, and this experience was right up that alley. First off, you have to build the damned thing yourself, no precompiled binaries, because I guess the geniuses at Google find that offensive to their sensibilities. Oh, but instead of downloading the code via SVN, GIT or CVS, or better yet a simple zip, nooooooooo.... you have to download Google's build tool they made for Chromium and use it. Lovely. So I run this black box and joy of joys, it fails. Oh look, there is a bug report on that from 2 weeks ago.
At this point I said screw it.
This was after recently creating a tutorial for getting PlayN up and running, a process that would make Rube Goldberg proud. I followed that by attempting to deploy a PlayN game to Google App Engine, which quite simply DOES NOT WORK, but my god the process, the process made me want to cry tears of blood.
Seriously, I have worked in corporate IT, with companies like UGS/EDS and IBM that get paid by the hour and it shows in the way they do things... and even their process is streamlined compared to Google. On top of that, support is completely lacking... look in the PlayN forum at the unanswered questions... now do the same in Android development ( oh my god, the scars from working with Android! ), or even go to products like Adsense. If the answer isn't in a wiki somewhere, you are screwed. If the answer is in a Wiki, I guarantee it will have 19 steps, and 2 of them are wrong.
Seriously, Google really needs to grow up and act like a big company soon. That means not hiding behind the word 'beta' and actually creating polished and supported products. That means releasing 'good' documentation, creating proper installers, hiring people to actually answer questions asked in your forums and all the other thing every single other big corporation does. Yes, it's a bit having to hire people and pay for support, but guess what, that's all part of growing up. Until then, you are going to continue to be a one trick pony.
I mean seriously, some time contrast Google vs Microsoft developer support, it's appalling how incredibly terrible Google is. Hell, contrast the process of deploying to App Engine, with the process of deploying to Amazon or Azure. In the case of Google products, its like you are dealing with "Steve the IT guy" 's hacked together perl build process from 1992. Amateur hour at a multi-billion dollar company.