Original Post
I've been developing a sort of 'demo' of my "dream game" MOFPS with Unity3D using JavaScript. I've made windows for customizing equipment, fairly smooth movement, jumping and wall jumping, and a firing/accuracy system that I think works (for now).
However, I've been aware mostly from day 1 that Unity is the easy way out and it is sort of babysitting me. I don't really know much about hard-coding and the steps it takes to actually make your own 3D game from scratch. I'm not even sure if Unity's JavaScript can actually be considered JavaScript, or if they just named it that to add to the ever-growing list of "Java" names out there.
This project of mine is just to flesh out the physics system of my MOFPS dream game. Unity has been great, very easy to use in a lot of situations, and it seems very efficient. However, I'm not necessarily learning applicable skills here, am I? JavaScript seems so watered down whenever I compare it to C# or C++ examples here on GameDev.
I'm fairly certain that I want to pursue a game development career in some way, but this is the learning phase for me, as I'm still young, and I don't want to waste it.
So some of the questions I have now:
Is Unity spoiling me and hiding me from the 'real world'? Am I not learning anything actually useful while using this engine? Is there any way I might be able to use the demo in the future as a pitch to showcase how the game is supposed to play?
Should I stop using Unity and pursue C# or a similar language? If so, should I start by trying to develop my dream FPS, or should I practice on something different?
Some experienced guidance would really help me,
Thanks!
However, I've been aware mostly from day 1 that Unity is the easy way out and it is sort of babysitting me. I don't really know much about hard-coding and the steps it takes to actually make your own 3D game from scratch. I'm not even sure if Unity's JavaScript can actually be considered JavaScript, or if they just named it that to add to the ever-growing list of "Java" names out there.
This project of mine is just to flesh out the physics system of my MOFPS dream game. Unity has been great, very easy to use in a lot of situations, and it seems very efficient. However, I'm not necessarily learning applicable skills here, am I? JavaScript seems so watered down whenever I compare it to C# or C++ examples here on GameDev.
I'm fairly certain that I want to pursue a game development career in some way, but this is the learning phase for me, as I'm still young, and I don't want to waste it.
So some of the questions I have now:
Is Unity spoiling me and hiding me from the 'real world'? Am I not learning anything actually useful while using this engine? Is there any way I might be able to use the demo in the future as a pitch to showcase how the game is supposed to play?
Should I stop using Unity and pursue C# or a similar language? If so, should I start by trying to develop my dream FPS, or should I practice on something different?
Some experienced guidance would really help me,
Thanks!