Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GameDev.net 2012

Started by Michael Tanczos Dec 28, 2011 at 1:56 AM 123 replies 26.7k views
Original Post
Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos
We're still under pretty heavy construction yet and most likely will be until 2012, but this new version of the site marks a pretty huge organizational shift in how our site will work. Let us know your thoughts and please excuse all the dust while we continue to upgrade everything.

There WILL be stuff missing and broken, but hopefully we'll be able to get past all that relatively quickly. Thanks for your understanding.

- Michael Tanczos
SiCrane
SiCrane
Is there an equivalent to the old feedback button? Do we just put stuff in GDNet:CSI or hold off until you guys get the obvious stuff under control?
Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos
Post it in this forum for now. It certainly doesn't hurt in case we overlook things since we are in the "fix what's not working" phase as wel. We've tried to get major stuff in place so we could get the site back online but there are a number of smaller things we have to fix / update yet.
DarklyDreaming
DarklyDreaming
I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all. Other than that, I also get periodic logouts (assuming that's related to the 'site under construction' deal though).

Really, I was hoping for more exposure in IOTD (e.g. more screenspace for IOTD on frontpage), a better thread listing and some overall improvements. It feels like instead we nuked the site and went back to being in Alpha when we just reached Beta status.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe

"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style,
SiCrane
SiCrane
I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all.

The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text.
Aqua Costa
Aqua Costa
The new design looks a lot more polished and professional! Good job!
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325089821' post='4897562'] I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all.
The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum. Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text. [/quote]

I was expecting the quote box to appear under the post I was quoting. But other than that, I like what I see so far.

So are we getting an official GDNet black theme? I know one has been created as a CSS add-on using Stylish plug-in. I was hoping that it will be official.
Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
DarklyDreaming
DarklyDreaming

[quote name='DarklyDreaming' timestamp='1325089821' post='4897562'] I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all.

The top drop down is almost all links to the forum. If you want to go to the top level forum page you can go to Community->Forum.

Edit: I'm not a big fan of the new style of the quote box though. It seems to blend a little too much into the regular text.
[/quote]
Yes. My point is that gone is the "Recent Posts/Threads" replaced with... nothing. A twitter feed from GD.Net apparently. Not trying to be pure negative here, but I really liked to be able to see everything at a glance -- now I have to wade through each subforum to see if there's anything new. Unless I'm missing something here...?

Also, the "Report" button is irritatingly placed where the "Reply" button used to be -- I keep accidentally clicking it. Though that might just be habit

I guess I like the new look, just not sure what's going on with the frontpage...
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe

"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style,
Gaiiden
Gaiiden

I don't get the new site design. Seems even harder to get an overview of new topics/threads and now there is no connection to the forum on the frontpage at all.


We hear you. I was hoping we would launch with this but we have agreed to provide a fourth tab on the main page that will give you immediate access to the recent forum threads you can get when you click on Active Content as well as the ability to filter stuff in the tab like you can with the Around The Web news.
Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net
maya18222
maya18222
Would it be possible to have a setting in your profile that only shows "New Posts" from forums you are interesting in.
alnite
alnite
Here's a couple of my thoughts about the new design:

  • Quote box I think is better than before. Just make the border color uniform. Darker left edge looks funny, and it's not the drop shadow.
  • Still need the black theme.
  • Forum access is a bit funky. For Beginners has its own menu, some are hidden, others are accessible from popups.
  • I think there's a lack of focus on what this site is about. A lot of content seems to be thrown in everywhere. IOTD here, ads there, jobs there, forums here, news here. It's better to put what's most important (you guys decide) on the homepage, and put the rest on its own separate area (yes, older site was better organized than this one).
MarkS_
MarkS_
My only complaint is the stark white background. It is quite jarring. The bluish gray background was much more pleasing to the eye.
frob
frob
My preference would be the return of the 'watched' list.

WAY back in the old forums, the custom list shown on top was the list of forums you were interested in. I think it started back in the 2.x days when things were black.

The replaced forums still had the list of watched forums, but it was on the side unless you did your own little bit of CSS hackery. There were several CSS snippets in various journals that covered different approaches to it.

Now it seems that they are gone entirely.

I still would love to see a list of my watched forums that have new content right up at the top. That is what I am interested in more than anything else, even more than all the menu items. That is my jumplist for the rest of the board.
Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos
What about this right below the search bar? Everything you subscribe to is listed here..

[attachment=6530:watched.PNG]
SiCrane
SiCrane
Can you subscribe to forums instead of forum threads?
rein
rein
Overall design is a little bit sleeker, not bad.

But the annoying issue you might have already noticed is that when you Load More Topics in any forum and enter any of them, after hitting Back button later we go back to the first page of topics only, having to click through Load More again.

Cheers
Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos

Can you subscribe to forums instead of forum threads?


Yep, on the forum just choose "Join this Group" and that will add that forum to your watched list. It will also allow others to see your journal posts, articles, etc. in the member activity forum tab.

Tonight I'm going to be working a bit on permissions since article adding will be 100% open this time.. allowing anybody to post articles just like topics are posted.
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
Any way we can put "[user]'s Content" in its own link? I use it quite often when I want to see threads I've posted in.

Also, is the option to see what posts have been rated up or down available?
Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
Endurion
Endurion
Hmm, not bad actually. Foremost complaint: The quote box is nearly indistinguishable from the post it contains. Either make the border thicker or the background darker.

Also, I tried to upload a bigger avatar image (since the forum doesn't scale the image up automatically). It shows in the profile page once, but then it's back at the old tiny pic again.
Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>
Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos

Hmm, not bad actually. Foremost complaint: The quote box is nearly indistinguishable from the post it contains. Either make the border thicker or the background darker.

Also, I tried to upload a bigger avatar image (since the forum doesn't scale the image up automatically). It shows in the profile page once, but then it's back at the old tiny pic again.


This is a caching issue with MaxCDN - This is also on my list to repair. Your profile pic would automatically update in 24 hours - but my fix is going to have to make that much quicker.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.