Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

CEGUI alternatives

Started by MARS_999 Jan 5, 2012 at 1:08 AM 7 replies 6.6k views
Original Post
MARS_999
MARS_999
Anyone know of any good API's that have a editor that one can drag drop the widgets to make layout ect... and be used with OpenGL/SFML/C++?

Thanks!
Mussi
Mussi
Any reason why CEGUI isn't sufficient? It has a layout editor.
SimonForsman
SimonForsman
You could use QT aswell as it can embed its widgets in an OpenGL view and does have a layout editor. (I'm not sure how easy it is to modify the look of the widgets though)

Or, if you are willing to spend some money you could use scaleform to embed flash GUIs in your game (Something alot of AAA games do these days)
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
swiftcoder
swiftcoder
I've been down this road a few times, and of all the toolkits I've tried (which is quite a number), CEGUI is the only one that offers decent flexibility/configurability. That said, I really detest the way CEGUI is designed - it feels like setting an 800lb Gorilla to catch a fly...
Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]
MARS_999
MARS_999
Yeah, I keep hearing that most people think CEGUI is bloated...

My problem is the layout editor is buggy, and the new version CEED is not finised yet and has bugs as it's not a release product.

The second issue is they moved to Mercury for SVN and I have no idea on using that system yet, and would like to get on 0.8.0 binaries and don't want to have to build them myself.... Sigh heahaches starting again
mpreisler
mpreisler
swiftcoder: Make yourself heard! It's open source, things can be changed if you care :-)

MARS_999: It shouldn't be hard to get a clone with mercurial, there are instructions on the wiki. If you are on Windows, TortoiseHG makes it really easy to make a clone. HTH

--
Kulik from the CEGUI team
Trefall
Trefall
Perhaps http://librocket.com/ will serve your needs. It's losely based on html5/css3, so any html/css editor should work to some degree. Might be worth a look at least.
froop
froop
You can take a look at Gwen. It's pretty light weight and easy to get running (imo).

It's a pretty young project so not everything is polished yet, but still sufficiently for most usages.

You can also replace their renderer with your own, which is a nice feature to me.

Ps: Since most GUI libs appear to have similar interfaces, it's not that hard to switch to another if you're not happy with one.

Edit: Disregard this if a WSIWYG editor is required. Although it wouldn't be too absurd to implement one with the GUI-Lib itself.
dalerank
dalerank
http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=44715

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.