Original Post
Hi all,
I have implemented my scene/level using chunked style, arranged as a grid depending on the current location/position of the character.
The chunks LOD varies dpdending on the distance of the chunks from the current chunks. There is also a fog that "hides" those chunks with low LOD. Using this approach I can implement large scene such as a large city similar to popular games. This approach was already implemented and working OK. I think this approach is being used by most commercial games.
However, I need help on the following
1. I am confused on how to display the sky. Since this is a large scene/level displayed as chunks, How can i display the sky then?
Do I need to create a very large skybox to enclosed my scene?
I am also thinking of including a portion of the skybox on each chunk, giving each chunk the ground model and the sky, and the chunk
that represents the edge of the world will also has the "wall".
My question is how is this done by commercial games?
Hope somebody can give advise on what is the best approach to this.
Sory for poor grammar, please ask if the above were not understood,
Thanks in advance.
I have implemented my scene/level using chunked style, arranged as a grid depending on the current location/position of the character.
The chunks LOD varies dpdending on the distance of the chunks from the current chunks. There is also a fog that "hides" those chunks with low LOD. Using this approach I can implement large scene such as a large city similar to popular games. This approach was already implemented and working OK. I think this approach is being used by most commercial games.
However, I need help on the following
1. I am confused on how to display the sky. Since this is a large scene/level displayed as chunks, How can i display the sky then?
Do I need to create a very large skybox to enclosed my scene?
I am also thinking of including a portion of the skybox on each chunk, giving each chunk the ground model and the sky, and the chunk
that represents the edge of the world will also has the "wall".
My question is how is this done by commercial games?
Hope somebody can give advise on what is the best approach to this.
Sory for poor grammar, please ask if the above were not understood,
Thanks in advance.