Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Tower22

Started by spek Jan 13, 2012 at 9:27 AM 18 replies 3k views
Original Post
spek
spek
Shots from our latest Tower22 (horror game) 2011 TechDemo movie;
[media]http://vimeo.com/34987098[/media]

Tower22 is a horror surival game in development (so far just as a hobby project in the night hours, but we have ambitious plans). It takes places in a gigantic Soviet style skyscraper, where it puts you in the role of the caretaker of the building. All fine, until you start wondering where all other inhabitants are...


The movie contains the Radar Station map that we'll use as a "playground" map in our object editor. Asides from that, the movie is used to show mainly graphical progress on this project, and... to hopefully attract some people to the team
* Environment Concept Artist
* Environment Modeller
* 2D Texture artist


Features:
- Engine is made in house (using OpenGL2X, Cg shaders, Newton2, FMOD, Delphi7)
- Common graphical tricks such as (detail)normalMapping, parallax mapping, variance shadowMaps, DoF, HDR + bloom, motion blur, reflections, GPU particles, et cetera.


More info / screenshots: http://www.tower22game.com/media.php
Dev blog: http://tower22.blogspot.com/

Well, hope you like it!

Click here to view the iotd
Idono87
Idono87
Wow the tech demo is amazing. The graphics and the sounds are just incredible. Is this a one man team so far or are there more people involved so far?
Idono! That's me!
Boruki
Boruki
I think this looks amazing. The sound and atmospheric effects are better than I've seen in some AAA games. Fantastic work guys!
spek
spek
Thanks!

@idono87
The first demo1 was one man work, but (luckily) I got some help in 2011!
Julio > Working out my ideas(target drawings) & Textures
Sergi > Objects (barrels, computers, lamps, et cetera)
Robert > Monster
David > Sound
Carsten > Helped David with some sound sampels
Rick(me) > Programming, making the initial ideas, trying to lead the thing a bit

It's not enough to make the real deal though. That's why we added some Russian propaganda at the end But it's pretty hard to find good people. Most good artists are getting paid for their services, we have a 0$ budget (although I bought FRAPS to record it )
ne0_kamen
ne0_kamen
Very impressive!
How far are you in the development of the actual game logic and story (not just the tech) ?
spek
spek
@ne0_kamen
The story, events, flow and ideas about what places you will visit are pretty much done. Of course there are plenty of little details that need to be filled or tweaked, but that's not the biggest concern.

The game logic is a different story. I focussed mainly on putting some visuals + tools first in order to attract some artists to the project. Cause well, you can have all the ideas and everything, but without a team, you're getting nowhere.

Many of the typical game aspects such as pathfinding, AI, HUD or scripting have a first, simple version implemented. But most of parts need to be refined or redone better. But instead of working blind on code, I prefer to have some actual game-maps / models / sounds to work with. It stimulates developing the engine further! So, while doing demo's and other stuff, all those things are getting improved or added sooner or later. But all in all, we still have a long way to go, that's for sure!
alexcg
alexcg
The tech demo is mind-boggling. The visuals and atmospheric sound effects are awesome. Good job!

P.S. By the way, at 02:56 of the video the right spelling would be "???????? 1 ??????" and "???????? 2 ??????"
Eelco
Eelco
Wow, youve got something there; both the technical side and the art are coming together nicely.

The athmosphere is amazing; im not sure what you have in mind in terms of gameplay, but I think it would be a terrible waste to turn this into yet another FPS. I would hope you turn this into something along the lines of the 7th guest; more about exploration, puzzeling, and hinting at the unseen. Probably also much easier to bring to a polished end than many other genres.
KanonBaum
KanonBaum
Visually and audibly fantastic so far. I hope the story and gameplay make the par.

My ONLY suggestion is that you lower the sensitivity of the blur. It would look great like that if the player just woke up or suffered a nightmarish-scene (i.e. scrambling his visuals) but that amount of blur in normal gameplay would annoy me too much.

Hope to hear more from this project!
I'm that imaginary number in the parabola of life.
spek
spek
@Ashaman
Progress is also made possible by boys&girls like you who regularly answer my questions on the forums here!

@alexcg
Google translate My Russian is just as good as your Chinese probably (or are you Chinese?). But seriously, later on we should ask a true Russian for such texts indeed!

@Eelco
The game is not really about combat indeed, although you won't be completely defenseless either. Most of the time, you won't be seeing enemies in the skyscraper (this Radar is not an actual game map). So the challenge is to make the environment itself terrorizing you! And yes, it will contain puzzles. But probably not as complex as the 7th Guest ones ;)

@KanonBaum
The blur isn't actually that heavy when normally moving through the game. I don't have a super computer, so while the PC is recording the game, the framerate gets a hit. And since the blur is based on a post filter that compares the previous with the current pixel positions, the difference is larger than normal, resulting in more blur. That could be fixed pretty easily I suppose, but... too lazy to do that
Bummel
Bummel
Very nice technology, but you definitely need to tweak the motion blur. People already got headaches when playing Crysis 2. ;)
SaTANO
SaTANO
I am always happy when I see project like this (cross fingers). It kicks me back in to my own project. I definitely know what it means when graphically oriented programmer don't have artists but what I saw looks delicious.
Now I am really proud that no $ project can looks like this.

Congratulations...
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
Comrade, your demo is just... awesome. Majority of the time I was wondering whether this was running on the Unreal or Crysis Engine. But the fact that this is homebrew blows my mind. When you put this out as a game, I'll definitely be buying a copy.
Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
mytre
mytre
Awesome, you are really close to final product, and all that is done on home made engine...thanks for giving me hope that something like that is possible.
spek
spek
Well close to a final product... Haha, I wish that was true, but asides graphics, there is a lot more to make. Improvement of AI, physics, game-rules, and so on. But maybe even more work: constructing the tower! Dozens of 3D models, sounds, animations and textures yet have to be made.

That's why the movie asks for help at the end. No matter what engine you have, without a team you still get nowhere. Although I do believe you don't need a gigantic $ budget, 100 programmers, 100 modelers, and so on. A few more modelers / artists, and we can get somewhere as long as there is enough patience and love for the project.
spek
spek
Too bad that 2D/3D artists don't fall out the sky, so we needed some surreptitious advertising

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.