Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GDC 2012

Started by ApochPiQ Feb 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM 27 replies 4.8k views
Original Post
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
So... 'tis that time of year, yet again.

Roll call! Who's going, what are you interested in seeing, and what looks most interesting from this year's conference lineup?
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care

So... 'tis that time of year, yet again.

Roll call! Who's going, what are you interested in seeing, and what looks most interesting from this year's conference lineup?

I am going. Not sure what I'm looking to go to yet. I was going to look over the schedule this week. I've been too busy to look in any more till now
jpetrie
jpetrie
I'm going. Mostly for the beer and food.
Gaiiden
Gaiiden
I suppose I should finish putting my schedule together this week... not many sessions mostly wandering around and meeting with people. Look forward to the parties and hanging out in friends suites sippin drinks till the wee hours smile.png As usual.

I'll be in town Sunday morning so if anyone's around that wants to hang or whatever my cell is 732.492.5027. Just be sure to leave a message since i don't pick up for unknown callers. My only plan so far is my usual walk up Nob Hill and riding the cable car back down
Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net
Promit
Promit
Yep, gonna be there. Haven't drawn up a schedule yet.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
Oh, right... GDC... *looks at continued lack of passport*... erm, next year?
Gaiiden
Gaiiden

erm, next year? biggrin.png


There's always next year... unless the world ends in December of course.
Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net
adam4813
adam4813
I'll be there showing off my senior project for DeVry. Come and check it out as it is an interesting game concept with a custom CBES engine. The engine was built in the minor interim before the class started, and then refined during class as our engine was pushed to its limits.
zer0wolf
zer0wolf
I went last year since it was on the company's dime, but I don't really think the conference in general is worth the price. Especially when you add hotel room and airfare, you're looking at a couple Gs. It is certainly worth it for networking for industry hopefuls, though.
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care

I went last year since it was on the company's dime, but I don't really think the conference in general is worth the price. Especially when you add hotel room and airfare, you're looking at a couple Gs. It is certainly worth it for networking for industry hopefuls, though.

It does depend a lot on where you live. Travel inside the US is pretty cheap, but I am outside the US now and really felt the plane ticket this year. The hotel isn't that bad if you go with 1-2 other people; I think mine is only $70/night. The plane ticket was almost a grand on it's own though... blech.
adam4813
adam4813
Last year my pass was on GameDev.net, so I had to book a flight and hotel last minute. The hotel was a bad but cheap choice, and the last-minute (1 day notice) flight was roughly $250. This year I will book my flight in the next 2 days to get the best price I possibly can. Hotel has been done for a few weeks at about $200/person for 2.
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care

and the last-minute (1 day notice) flight was roughly $250.

Out of curiousity, where do you live?
Gaiiden
Gaiiden
My airfare out of Newark Int'l for a cross-country hop was $389.60 round trip - I booked it at the end of last month.
Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net
adam4813
adam4813

[quote name='adam4813' timestamp='1330487095' post='4917609']
and the last-minute (1 day notice) flight was roughly $250.

Out of curiousity, where do you live?
[/quote]

Minot, ND. Though I had to drive 2 hours to fly as it was cheaper from the capitol (Bismarck).
Washu
Washu
I should be out there in the area.
In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
nsmadsen
nsmadsen
I'll be there!
Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios

Austin, TX
way2lazy2care
way2lazy2care
I just found out I have an extra cot in my room. It's about $70-80/night if anyone did not plan ahead/had plans fall through or knows someone who fits that situation.
Cornstalks
Cornstalks
I'm not going, nor am I playing the mod-meta-game sad.png

But now I have Drew's cell phone number so I know what I'm doing when I get bored biggrin.png

And on a more serious note, I'm going to make an official request of all those going: Have a competition to see which GameDev user can get the most pictures with booth babes.
Promit
Promit
From what I've seen, there are very few booth babes at GDC. I guess that is probably a positive. However if you step outside, there are usually women advertising for the local gentleman's clubs.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.