Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Cross Platform Audio Programming

Started by Cacks Mar 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM 4 replies 2.5k views
Original Post
Cacks
Cacks
Hi Guys,

I want to make a game for Windows & Mac. Are there any cross platform Sound programming libraries? Is OpenAL pretty much gone now?

cheers
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions
WhiskyJoe
WhiskyJoe
If it's for a personal project, you might want to take a look at fmod. Unless they changed it, it is free for personal use (with some restrictions, check the site for that).

Personally never used OpenAL before, but I still hear people are using it, and I think (not sure) that SDL is using it under the hood, so it might be a viable option still.
Dawoodoz
Dawoodoz
OpenAL can give hardware mixed EAX and 3D in Windows Vista and 7 by talking directly to hardware but only for the players with a specific brand of sound cards. I did not get 4.1 surround in hardware OpenAL with my sound card. Then I thought that I might as well use software mixing for the sake of determinism between computers.
jbadams
jbadams
FMOD is probably what you're after.

There's also BASS if you don't mind paying for a licence.

If you do't need anything too complex you could also use the audio part of SFML or SDL.
- Jason Astle-Adams
Cacks
Cacks
Thanks for your input guys.

Its a commercial game.

Looking like I'm going to have to code the sound for each platform
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.