Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Humans Must Answer (2D space shooter)

Started by EugenySG Mar 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM 40 replies 9.7k views
Original Post
EugenySG
EugenySG
logoHmaBlack.png



API: ?#, XNA
Platform: PC
Team: SumomGames
Website: http://sumomgames.com/

Hi!

My name is Eugeny and I am one of the developers of the small independent game company SumomGames. The last 6 months we have working hard on our first game - Humans Must Answer.

Humans Must Answer it's a 2D space shooter with puzzle elements, set in the distant future. It's an satirical adventure of two young spaceship pilots, searching for knowledge and found themselves in the Solar System. Basically Humans Must Answer is a horizontal scrolling shooter with a lot of shooting, evading, hidden bonuses, bosses but with some additional features. Player can place temporary towers (dron-towers) on the battlefield, combine weapons and more.

work in progress trailer (1080p and fullscreen recommended smile.png)
[media]
[/media]

(link for trailer in 60fps - http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ausnb)


What do you guys think?
SimonForsman
SimonForsman
That looks pretty darn awesome, I'll definitly keep my eyes open for the release of this one (I love shooters and there really hasn't been alot of good ones for the PC lately).

What digital distribution services will you use for the game ?
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
EugenySG
EugenySG

That looks pretty darn awesome, I'll definitly keep my eyes open for the release of this one (I love shooters and there really hasn't been alot of good ones for the PC lately).

What digital distribution services will you use for the game ?


yes, we think so too. and we love them and PC too so decided to do it yourself

we would like to get on Steam of course )
Deraj
Deraj
The graphics kind of blew me away. You guys have really only been working on this for six months? Great work!

The only negative is that this game makes my own in-development 2D shooter look terrible
meeshoo
meeshoo
Incredible graphics and looks like you have a good set of weapons in there. Any bosses?
EugenySG
EugenySG

The graphics kind of blew me away. You guys have really only been working on this for six months? Great work!


We started sometime in August so yes 6-7 months.
All except background. For now we use one big photo from hubble and I doubt that we will use it in the release.


Incredible graphics and looks like you have a good set of weapons in there. Any bosses?

Of course! We are working on bosses.
EugenySG
EugenySG
Development Update: We've started working on humans.

In other news, CCTV Captures Mysterious Accident on Orbital Highway 9.

[media]
[/media]
AlanSmithee
AlanSmithee
Wow!

This looks super sweet!

The fact that you developed this in 6 months is crazy..
Did you use any existing engine or legacy code or did you start from scratch?

Either way, well done and keep it up!

BR / AS
EugenySG
EugenySG

Wow!

This looks super sweet!

The fact that you developed this in 6 months is crazy..
Did you use any existing engine or legacy code or did you start from scratch?

Either way, well done and keep it up!

BR / AS



Thank You!

We decided to use only XNA because we wanted to learn all aspects of programming/game developing from scratch.
So we downloaded books, XNA, examples from AppHub and began to understand how it all works. Then we found good graphic artist and that's it )
EugenySG
EugenySG
more human space forces )

trisisters.jpg

leshigreen.jpg
EugenySG
EugenySG
pictures are good but the video is better. so Humans Must Answer: Main Battle Space Tank "Three Sisters"

[media]
[/media]
EugenySG
EugenySG
Space Gas Station

gasStation800.jpg
Cornstalks
Cornstalks
Can I tell you that I love this? It looks like it's got all the stuff I reminisce about in old arcade games, plus really pretty visual effects, plus some twists on gameplay, plus creative weapons. Well done (so far)! And good luck!
EugenySG
EugenySG

Can I tell you that I love this? It looks like it's got all the stuff I reminisce about in old arcade games, plus really pretty visual effects, plus some twists on gameplay, plus creative weapons. Well done (so far)! And good luck!


thank you very much! ) we try hard.
and we have more interesting and crazy ideas. with all that stuff I think we need some sort of tutorial for this game =)
EugenySG
EugenySG
new video - Flying Barrels Test, Environmental Kills

[media]
[/media]
EugenySG
EugenySG
We are working on some "industrial zone"-levels content: cranes, containers, trains, loaders, saws, flamethrowers, lasers etc.

[media]
[/media]

So in this video we want to show you some content and one of the enemies from that levels. It's an enemy with big magnet that use circular saw like yo-yo. His saw is undestructable so you must dodge it. This enemy isn't very dangerous alone and when you have enough space for manoeuvre. Otherwise he can be very nasty.

But hey, we have the ability to combine weapons! And it's one of the many moments when that ability can be very helpful. When you combine main energy weapon with energy ball you create a powerful lightning arc that send back enemy's saws with great speed.


And new art

IndustrialZone800.jpg
patrrr
patrrr
Great work! I love the barrels.
VictorWir
VictorWir
I really LOVE the art, just hope you'll animate the ship so it rolls slightly when you go up/down
Visual feedback like that is always nice and makes it feel less static, especially since the player ship will always be on screen.
alh420
alh420
Looks really fun, great work!
Love the art style too
And +1 on the post above, you will look at or around your ship most of the time, worth it to give it some extra animations and details.
EugenySG
EugenySG
thanks guys!

about animation. we are considering options.it's not that easy

First. We don't have animator. All animations in game are made by code and particle system! )
Second. We have some effects for player ship. For example when you buy energy armor it's not only sprite but sprite + some effects.
Third. Ship hitbox always must be visible and obvious.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.