Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Porting plan

Started by WillTice Mar 21, 2012 at 1:51 AM 2 replies 2.7k views
Original Post
WillTice
WillTice
So I've been working on a game for a while with my team using XNA 4.0, and the time has come for us to start thinking about our planned iOS and Android ports.

How exactly do you go about this?
My current understanding is that the best option is to port using either...

A. MonoGame (http://monogame.codeplex.com/) - a free, open source implementation of XNA
B. Mono for Android and MonoTouch (http://xamarin.com/) - commercial implementations of XNA

Do I have my facts right in that if we go for either A or B, we'll have everything we need to port a standard XNA 4.0 game to other platforms?

And for my final question: Does anyone have any experience with using MonoGame and Mono for Android / MonoTouch? Which would you recommend, and why?
NightCreature83
NightCreature83
Which version of VS are you using because if it is the express edition MonoForAndroid or IOs won't install it's plugins to the IDE and you will have to switch to MonoDevelop, and I havemt yet gotten that beast to launch the Android Emulater. I do have to say as a sidenote I haven't tried getting the emulator to run beyond 1 or 2 hours of googling and trying options.
http://altdevblogaday.com/2012/02/27/altdevconf-session-videos/ have a look at the Cross Platform Game Development in C# talk it's pretty good.
WillTice
WillTice
daydalus:
Thanks for the link! It was a great read. It looks like MonoGame is the way to go!

NightCreature83:
I just upgraded everything from XNA 3.1 to XNA 4.0, so I'm using VC# Express 2010 at the moment. I have MonoDevelop all set up and ready to go, but I haven't actually tried it yet. Thanks for the links to the videos as well, I'll check them out later tonight!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.