Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Precompile Effect

Started by Programmdude Apr 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM 2 replies 2k views
Original Post
Programmdude
Programmdude
I am using DX9/DX10 via SlimDX for a project, and am looking into ways of speeding up loading.
One of the slow-downs is loading the effect files. I am currently using Effect.FromString to load the effects.
I have looked through the documentation and on google, but I have found no way of precompiling effects for either DX9 or DX10.
The only slightly related articles are those of compiling individual shaders(pixel shader, vertex shader, etc), but it doesn't seem possible to recreate the effect after you compile the individual parts.
smasherprog
smasherprog
I havent used SlimDX before, but you can compile an effect in Directx. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb205078%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Maybe that will help you in your search in slimdx
Wisdom is knowing when to shut up, so try it.
--Game Development http://nolimitsdesigns.com: Reliable UDP library, Threading library, Math Library, UI Library. Take a look, its all free.
Programmdude
Programmdude
That is what I use currently, what I am looking for is a way of compiling it before running the game into some form of optimized binary form instead. It should speed up loading the effect.
leonard2012
leonard2012

[font=times new roman,times,serif]You can [color=#000000]pre-compile the effect file into a binary file using fxc.exe. To do this, add custom build rules to .fx files in your project.[/font]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.