Original Post
So, I'm getting frustrated with my game, so to take a break and yet still be productive, I did some article/forum browsing.
In a lot of posts and many articles I saw repeated something along the lines of: "Beginners should make the game not the engine"
I realize that a lot has to do with the fact that in preexisting engines/systems, much of the technical stuff is already written. But then, you can still take that pre written framework and use it in your own engine.
So what I'm wondering is: What's the difference, from a programmer's perspective, between a game built from code, and a game that was built from an engine. It seems to me like you'd have to do much of the same things. ie. set up a scene graph, create objects, handle input and output. The only difference I could think of, would be with an engine you allow users to alter or use their own assets more easily.
Well, theres my question. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter
In a lot of posts and many articles I saw repeated something along the lines of: "Beginners should make the game not the engine"
I realize that a lot has to do with the fact that in preexisting engines/systems, much of the technical stuff is already written. But then, you can still take that pre written framework and use it in your own engine.
So what I'm wondering is: What's the difference, from a programmer's perspective, between a game built from code, and a game that was built from an engine. It seems to me like you'd have to do much of the same things. ie. set up a scene graph, create objects, handle input and output. The only difference I could think of, would be with an engine you allow users to alter or use their own assets more easily.
Well, theres my question. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks,
Peter