Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Newbie

Started by Mitsos175 Jun 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM 12 replies 3.2k views
Original Post
Mitsos175
Mitsos175
Hi everyone.

I want to start the game dev. so i started read articles in the forum but more articles i read i was confused much more.
So i want you to ask the pros some things

First of all i haven't any knowledge of in any language(C++, C# etc.) but i know very well to use photoshop,illustrator and a bit of premier and sony vegas(the last two i don't know if are usefull).
The games genre i love is Fps and Strategy so i was thinking to make something like this.Also i like and the one click games like "botanicula".

And here's come the first question 2D or 3D?
That confused me very much.In some articles they prefer 3D and others 2D.
So what's the best for and starter?

Also what's the language that i have to study and learn to?

That is my first questions
[size=1](sorry for but english i'm from greece)
szecs
szecs
Read again the for beginners forum again. Read the threads, this question is asked 10 times a day...
It's pretty clearly stated there, that if you want to make games from scratch (so programing is more interesting to you than the actual product) then you better start with simple small 2D games.
Sid_TheBeginner
Sid_TheBeginner
Check out this video on youtube:

[media]
[/media]

Watch all the 3 short parts. This guy truly seems to know his stuff.
antiHUMANDesigns
antiHUMANDesigns
I agree with that guy. (Only watched the first part).

And I did start with a game-specific language (AMOS, which I dare assume is game-specific), but I was a kid and I didn't have a choice, it was all that was available to me at that time. I think I would've been better off going straight to C or C++. To me, it doesn't feel like knowing a game-specific language actually means you know programming. It feels like you're very much limited, and even worse, oyu may become too comfortable in it to ever progress outside of it, though I'm hoping few people would have such a problem.
Sid_TheBeginner
Sid_TheBeginner

I agree with that guy. (Only watched the first part).

And I did start with a game-specific language (AMOS, which I dare assume is game-specific), but I was a kid and I didn't have a choice, it was all that was available to me at that time. I think I would've been better off going straight to C or C++. To me, it doesn't feel like knowing a game-specific language actually means you know programming. It feels like you're very much limited, and even worse, oyu may become too comfortable in it to ever progress outside of it, though I'm hoping few people would have such a problem.


Yeah, I watched all the 3 parts before a few days and that's why decided to start learning C++ because I've no clue about what is what and so I decided to take this guy's words by heart.
antiHUMANDesigns
antiHUMANDesigns

[quote name='antiHUMANDesigns' timestamp='1340548753' post='4952321']
I agree with that guy. (Only watched the first part).

And I did start with a game-specific language (AMOS, which I dare assume is game-specific), but I was a kid and I didn't have a choice, it was all that was available to me at that time. I think I would've been better off going straight to C or C++. To me, it doesn't feel like knowing a game-specific language actually means you know programming. It feels like you're very much limited, and even worse, oyu may become too comfortable in it to ever progress outside of it, though I'm hoping few people would have such a problem.


Yeah, I watched all the 3 parts before a few days and that's why decided to start learning C++ because I've no clue about what is what and so I decided to take this guy's words by heart.
[/quote]

Try to see if you can find a friend who is also looking to start with game development, and join forces in learning. Discussing and solving rpoblems together on equal terms might be great both for moral and your ability to progress past hard points.
Mitsos175
Mitsos175
So it's a good of start and study c++?
antiHUMANDesigns
antiHUMANDesigns

So it's a good of start and study c++?


If you have no experience at all... nah? I'd love to say yes, but only if you can handle it. If you know a little of some Basic-style language, or even C or PHP, then yes, you should be fine with starting C++. But from nothing, it'll probably overwhelm you.
Mitsos175
Mitsos175
I know a little bit php but a little.

So in that case what you tell me to do?
In every search that i do everybody says that's is not important to know C in order to learn C++.
antiHUMANDesigns
antiHUMANDesigns

I know a little bit php but a little.

So in that case what you tell me to do?
In every search that i do everybody says that's is not important to know C in order to learn C++.


PHP looks a lot like C, which helps. Advanced PHP even has classes and such, like C++. But still, PHP is a scripting language, and C++ is not.
Just a little bit of PHP might not help you very much in C++, but at least it helps you understand how programming languages work, which mean you're past the first step.
Hey, just give it a try? If you look at a few starter tutorials and think "WTF are they saying?", then... well, play around more with PHP, maybe, I don't actually know.
SimonForsman
SimonForsman

In every search that i do everybody says that's is not important to know C in order to learn C++.


Its not, they're different languages, knowing one of them makes learning the other easier since they are related but learning one in order to learn the other is counterproductive.
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
antiHUMANDesigns
antiHUMANDesigns

[quote name='Mitsos175' timestamp='1340559334' post='4952377']
In every search that i do everybody says that's is not important to know C in order to learn C++.


Its not, they're different languages, knowing one of them makes learning the other easier since they are related but learning one in order to learn the other is counterproductive.
[/quote]

When looking at books and stuff, they often say you don't need to know C to learn C++, and I think that's the kind of thing he, or they, meant, because they're all-inclusive (EDIT: I mean, the book teaches everything without need for prior knowledge) . But the difference between C and C++ really is pretty small (compare C to QBasic and the difference is bigger), so if you learn C++, you know a lot (if not most) of C, for example. If you already know C, then moving to C++ is only a little more than an adjustment. (Not trying to understate the difference, because there sure is a difference, but the difference is small for beginners, I think we can agree.)

So, yes it is counter-productive to learn C before you learn C++, if you think about it, but it's not useless to do so. I don't see a reson to downvote what Simon said, because technically he's right.
Cornstalks
Cornstalks

So in that case what you tell me to do?

What do you mean by "case," exactly? The first step is just picking a programming language, as was said in that video. People have lots of opinions, and I certainly have my own. But really, just pick a dang language and roll with it. It sounds like you've picked C++. Okay, cool, roll with it. Just start googling things about it ("C++ tutorial" is a decent thing to google for). But again, like was said on that video, it would be a good idea to invest in a book (so google "C++ book" or something and pick a book). Stay away from books that promise you'll learn C++ in 10 days or whatever (someone wrote an article about this once, and the reason I say this is because they're lying to you if they say you'll learn language X in a matter of days/weeks; learning to program is a large time investment, and a book that lies on its cover isn't doing you any favors).

Someone might come up and say "No! you should learn language X first instead!" Sure, it's totally possibly language X might be easier to start with, but if you've already started, just keep going with your chosen language; you don't want to lose any momentum you may have built up. Learning one language doesn't prevent you from learning another later. It's not the end of the world if you pick a difficult language, and learning to program will still be challenging if you pick an easy language. Just recognize it'll take time and work with whatever you chose, but if you just bounce back and forth in circles between picking language X and language Y and language Z, you'll never get anywhere. Pick one, roll with it, read everything you can about it, and practice a lot, writing all sorts of small programs. Be curious! Explore! Try things!


In every search that i do everybody says that's is not important to know C in order to learn C++.

And the reason they keep saying that is because it's not. They're two different languages. You'll be just fine if you just focus on the one you've picked.
Mitsos175
Mitsos175

[quote name='Mitsos175' timestamp='1340559334' post='4952377']
So in that case what you tell me to do?

What do you mean by "case," exactly? The first step is just picking a programming language, as was said in that video. People have lots of opinions, and I certainly have my own. But really, just pick a dang language and roll with it. It sounds like you've picked C++. Okay, cool, roll with it. Just start googling things about it ("C++ tutorial" is a decent thing to google for). But again, like was said on that video, it would be a good idea to invest in a book (so google "C++ book" or something and pick a book). Stay away from books that promise you'll learn C++ in 10 days or whatever (someone wrote an article about this once, and the reason I say this is because they're lying to you if they say you'll learn language X in a matter of days/weeks; learning to program is a large time investment, and a book that lies on its cover isn't doing you any favors).

Someone might come up and say "No! you should learn language X first instead!" Sure, it's totally possibly language X might be easier to start with, but if you've already started, just keep going with your chosen language; you don't want to lose any momentum you may have built up. Learning one language doesn't prevent you from learning another later. It's not the end of the world if you pick a difficult language, and learning to program will still be challenging if you pick an easy language. Just recognize it'll take time and work with whatever you chose, but if you just bounce back and forth in circles between picking language X and language Y and language Z, you'll never get anywhere. Pick one, roll with it, read everything you can about it, and practice a lot, writing all sorts of small programs. Be curious! Explore! Try things!


In every search that i do everybody says that's is not important to know C in order to learn C++.

And the reason they keep saying that is because it's not. They're two different languages. You'll be just fine if you just focus on the one you've picked.
[/quote]
Thank you you helped me a lot.
I start C++ and i got a friend in university and he knows the c++ and he will help

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.