Original Post
Hello guys!
In the last two and a half years and specially this last semester I have come to the realization that I hate my life. I'm studying something I don't like and working in a field I don't care about.
This past month I decided to react. I'm you average gamer/geek guy. Always been found of technology and well, I work in the finances department of a car factory and I'm recognised more by my tech skills than my accounting/administrative skills, so that's got to be an indicative.
I'm going to graduate in economics this year and I'm considering applying for a computer science or engineering course next year.
You are probably wondering why I'm writing this here. Here is the deal, me and a friend decided to start developing a game. We are focusing on learning java and doing an android/iOS app. I decide to do this because since I don't know anything (except the thins I've learned by curiosity) I think the experience is going to be good to start learning and picking up some experience.
The thing is, as I said, I don't know anything practical about this stuff. I downloaded the JDK and eclipse, then I downloaded the android SDK. My plan was to learn trough the internet (videos, ebooks, forums).
Just want to know what you guys think about this. Is java a good introductory language? Should I learn it in a more formal way? Should I just go for the C++? Should I focus on a platform different from android/iOS? Should I travel to the Himalayas and become a monk?
I know there are a lot of FAQs about this and a lot a people have made the same questions, but I want a more personal opinion from you guys. And, if possible, some links or information you guys thinks might me useful for me.
Any reply is appreciated.
Thanks!
In the last two and a half years and specially this last semester I have come to the realization that I hate my life. I'm studying something I don't like and working in a field I don't care about.
This past month I decided to react. I'm you average gamer/geek guy. Always been found of technology and well, I work in the finances department of a car factory and I'm recognised more by my tech skills than my accounting/administrative skills, so that's got to be an indicative.
I'm going to graduate in economics this year and I'm considering applying for a computer science or engineering course next year.
You are probably wondering why I'm writing this here. Here is the deal, me and a friend decided to start developing a game. We are focusing on learning java and doing an android/iOS app. I decide to do this because since I don't know anything (except the thins I've learned by curiosity) I think the experience is going to be good to start learning and picking up some experience.
The thing is, as I said, I don't know anything practical about this stuff. I downloaded the JDK and eclipse, then I downloaded the android SDK. My plan was to learn trough the internet (videos, ebooks, forums).
Just want to know what you guys think about this. Is java a good introductory language? Should I learn it in a more formal way? Should I just go for the C++? Should I focus on a platform different from android/iOS? Should I travel to the Himalayas and become a monk?
I know there are a lot of FAQs about this and a lot a people have made the same questions, but I want a more personal opinion from you guys. And, if possible, some links or information you guys thinks might me useful for me.
Any reply is appreciated.
Thanks!