Original Post
Hello,
First off, I've been reading and enjoying the articles here for a while, but this is my first time posting. I apologize if this is redundant, I took a quick look over the first few pages and didn't see exactly what I was looking for.
I'm 33, an experienced automotive engineer who is now in purchasing. In highschool, I was deeply into programming (C, assembly, Pascal, BASIC) and spent hundreds of hours learning and teaching myself. I had always thought I would move into software development for my profession, but somehow ended up in engineering. Ten years down the road, I'm looking back with a little regret.
Getting to my question. I'm not looking for anyone to hold my hand, but what would you experienced folks see as a transition path for me? I'm teaching myself C++ (Prata's book, online notes, this site), studying the newer system architectures, and trying to wrap my head around the exponentially increased complexity to game development projects today vs. 20 years ago. Would it be a good idea to sign up for classes, or just continue to teach myself? I want a good holistic understanding, and to be able to move into software development in the next two years. There's just so much to learn and become familiar with that honestly I'm a little confused to which path to take. Any insights would be kindly appreciated.
Thanks.
First off, I've been reading and enjoying the articles here for a while, but this is my first time posting. I apologize if this is redundant, I took a quick look over the first few pages and didn't see exactly what I was looking for.
I'm 33, an experienced automotive engineer who is now in purchasing. In highschool, I was deeply into programming (C, assembly, Pascal, BASIC) and spent hundreds of hours learning and teaching myself. I had always thought I would move into software development for my profession, but somehow ended up in engineering. Ten years down the road, I'm looking back with a little regret.
Getting to my question. I'm not looking for anyone to hold my hand, but what would you experienced folks see as a transition path for me? I'm teaching myself C++ (Prata's book, online notes, this site), studying the newer system architectures, and trying to wrap my head around the exponentially increased complexity to game development projects today vs. 20 years ago. Would it be a good idea to sign up for classes, or just continue to teach myself? I want a good holistic understanding, and to be able to move into software development in the next two years. There's just so much to learn and become familiar with that honestly I'm a little confused to which path to take. Any insights would be kindly appreciated.
Thanks.