Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Serial Communication using C++ HELP!

Started by JonBMN Jul 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM 10 replies 2.9k views
Original Post
JonBMN
JonBMN
I'm creating a serial communication program and need a good library, any suggestions?
BeerNutts
BeerNutts
What do you mean by "serial communication program"? Do you mean serial port communication? If so, what OS are you using? Windows's API is to open it using the COM name, and build the DCB data, like this:

DCB dcb;
HANDLE hComm;
hComm = CreateFile( "COM1",
GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE,
0,
0,
OPEN_EXISTING,
FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED,
0);

if (hComm == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE)
{
// error opening port; abort
printf("Error opening %s for communicating!\n", "COM1");
exit(2);
}


FillMemory(&dcb, sizeof(dcb), 0);
dcb.DCBlength = sizeof(dcb);

if (!BuildCommDCB("115200,n,8,1", &dcb))
...


If it's another OS, then someone else will have to answer you.
My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)
JonBMN
JonBMN
Yes, a Serial port communication program, on windows. I need a library to link to for correct syntax's
JonBMN
JonBMN
Here is my code, now I'm not the greatest at this, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to connect to COM3 and it won't connect. I've attached my code, along with the error message.


// serial.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application.
//

#include "stdafx.h"


int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
return 0;
}


#undef UNICODE
#include "stdafx.h"
#include <windows.h>



void PrintError( LPCSTR str)
{
LPVOID lpMessageBuffer;
int error = GetLastError();
FormatMessage(
FORMAT_MESSAGE_ALLOCATE_BUFFER |
FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM,
NULL,
error,
MAKELANGID(LANG_NEUTRAL, SUBLANG_DEFAULT), //The user default language
(LPTSTR) &lpMessageBuffer,
0,
NULL
);
printf("%s: (%d) %s\n\n",str,error,lpMessageBuffer);
LocalFree( lpMessageBuffer );
}

int main(int argc, char* argv[])
{
// open port for I/O
HANDLE h = CreateFile(argv[1],
GENERIC_READ|GENERIC_WRITE,
0,NULL,
OPEN_EXISTING,0,NULL);

if(h == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) {
PrintError("E012_Failed to open port");
} else {
// set timeouts
COMMTIMEOUTS cto = { 1, 100, 1000, 0, 0 };
DCB dcb;
if(!SetCommTimeouts(h,&cto))
PrintError("E013_SetCommTimeouts failed");

// set DCB
memset(&dcb,0,sizeof(dcb));
dcb.DCBlength = sizeof(dcb);
dcb.BaudRate = 19200;
dcb.fBinary = 1;
dcb.fDtrControl = DTR_CONTROL_ENABLE;
dcb.fRtsControl = RTS_CONTROL_ENABLE;
dcb.fOutxCtsFlow = 1;
dcb.fRtsControl = DTR_CONTROL_HANDSHAKE;

dcb.Parity = NOPARITY;
dcb.StopBits = ONESTOPBIT;
dcb.ByteSize = 8;

if(!SetCommState(h,&dcb))
PrintError("E014_SetCommState failed");


char buf[7];
DWORD read = 0;
DWORD write=1; // Number of bytes to write to serial port
buf[0] = 72; // Decmial value to write to serial port
WriteFile(h,buf,write,&write,NULL); // write is updated with the number of bytes written

ReadFile(h,buf,sizeof(buf),&read,NULL); // read is updated with the number of bytes read
DWORD i;
for (i=0; i<read; i++)
printf("%i ", (unsigned char)buf);

CloseHandle(h);
}
system("pause");
return 0;
}
JonBMN
JonBMN
Can you explain the question a little more?
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
Your code is using the first argument passed on the command line as the name of the file it's trying to open to read the serial port. What are you specifying for the value of that argument?
BeerNutts
BeerNutts
I'm assuming you're using "COM3" as arg[1]? If so, do you have another program already using COM3? Are you sure COM3 is a valid com port on your machine?
My Gamedev Journal: 2D Game Making, the Easy Way

---(Old Blog, still has good info): 2dGameMaking
-----
"No one ever posts on that message board; it's too crowded." - Yoga Berra (sorta)
ChaosEngine
ChaosEngine
If you're looking for a library that allow your code to be portable, you could try Boost.Asio. It has support for serial comms but I haven't used it in years and it may be overkill for what you are trying to achieve.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
JonBMN
JonBMN
yes BeerNutts I am, but no, I'm very new to this and I'm very sure its a valid com port. I've used putty to connect to it and was able to communicate.

ChaosEngine, thank you for your post, I will look into soon.
JonBMN
JonBMN

Your code is using the first argument passed on the command line as the name of the file it's trying to open to read the serial port. What are you specifying for the value of that argument?


I figured out this is more of a library so i'll have to create a program that uses this. Not sure if I'm even going to keep it rather than just write a brand new code library with program. Any more help would be amazing though and its only help me learn!

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.